Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Based upon a logical ordering system, there should be a script that would search for duplicate orders and detect an error. Apparently according to you guys AT&T doesn't do this, and I for one don't know for sure either. However with the mess that we saw on pre-order day nothing would surprise me if you did indeed get both phones.

Though you should keep one thing in mind from an ethical standpoint. If you ordered multiple phones, intentionally or not, you therefore have just taken some other persons phone and YOU are the reason that they won't get their phone on launch day. With so many people claiming that they ordered multiple phones, and they will try to sell the other on eBay is absurd. Be logical, and be ethical and try to cancel the second or third phone you ordered from your same line. I think it would be nice just to give everybody the chance to enjoy the iPhone 4 on launch day like many of you will. Just my 2 cents though. AND before some of you bite my head off, I know that some of you did this unintentionally and you have tried to cancel your order, I commend that. I am speaking for those that have not tried to cancel and did so intentionally.

Fair enough and well argued.
But what about this counter....
many of us with two orders are in that position because we got up way early, and had to try ordering literally for hours and did not know we had multiple orders until a day or so later. With that being said, isn't it sort of true we deserve a meager profit off the second phone for our trouble that day.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I plan on taking my second one back to the AT&T store in Wichita, ks so if anyone here needs one just let me know and we can meet at the store and try to help something out. I didn't do this to make money and AT&T won't cancel my order so it's not my fault.

If you really want to cancel--that internet # should work.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
If you really want to cancel--that internet # should work.
It didnt work, I a premier customer and they haven't been answering the phone for the last 2 days. And they are the only ones who can cancel it for me. I have tried with 3 different managers so I just return it to the store.

Lifesuxsbad

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Same Here

Same here...I ordered from both sites and both apple and AT&T have already charged me the $299 each...I know one way you could stop more charges...tell your bank you lost your debit card and have them issue you another one....but then AT&T may just add it to your bill or send you a bill in the mail for the rest of the 2nd iPhone. I know it is due to both AT&T and Apple's site being so overloaded with people ordering that let us order 1 from each site.....big pain in the butt. Not sure what I will do just yet..sell the 2nd one on Ebay or return it to AT&T. I do have another line that is available for an upgrade for the $299 price so I wonder if I just activate it with the 2nd line if all will be ok since it is available for an upgrade...who knows I will just wait till Thursday and go from there. The one from Apple should be here on the 24th but no sure about the AT&T phone.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
It didnt work, I a premier customer and they haven't been answering the phone for the last 2 days. And they are the only ones who can cancel it for me. I have tried with 3 different managers so I just return it to the store.

You still have a few more days to get through. They won't ship out until next week.

LSUgolfer23

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
He're my (frustrating) story:

I spend all morning of the 15th trying to order one from Apple. No luck as the site continually freezes up at various stages. I'm doing this while sitting on hold for 105 minutes to wait in the phone ordering queue. After finally getting through, the guy informs me that AT&T's system cannot be accessed to check my eligibility. The guy tells me to call back in an hour. UGH! I call back in an hour, leave a message, he returns my call shortly and tells me the same thing....can't access the system. UGH!

I then switch to the AT&T website and (after several attempts - somewhere between 15 to 20) I get as far as the "click to order" step. I click the button and......it freezes up. UGH!

I gave up on Tuesday, so fast forward to Wed the 16th. First I call AT&T. I'm told there's no record of an order, no record of a contract renewal, nothing. I'm told "no, you don't have an iPhone 4 pre-ordered."

So, I call the same guy at Apple, explain what happened with AT&T and he never returns my call.

I then try the Apple website. I get much farther through the site. Far enough to "click to order" and it freezes up when I do. UGH! I tried again with the same result about 5 hours later in the afternoon. UGH!

Later that night, I'm checking the online activity for my bank and I've got THREE charges of $217 dollars pending in my bank account. I check my e-mail and I have 2 from Apple confirming two different orders. No e-mail from AT&T.

Today, on the 17th, I wake up and one of the pending charges from Apple has disappeared from my bank account. The order still shows up in my Apple Store account though. It shows one shipping on the 2nd and one shipping on the 14th.

I checked the Order Status on the AT&T website (with my phone number since I've got no order number) and I have a pending order there (shows that it went through on the 16th and is on backorder). ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

I called AT&T today and they confirm I have a pre-order with them. They insist it's the only one tied to my account. I tell him there are two others on the Apple Store and he borderline called me a liar. He was so insistent that this wasn't possible. I kept pressing him on what would happen if 3 phones got delivered (as in would I be nailed for the balance of $1200 on the other two) and he wouldn't even entertain my question. He kept insisting that it wasn't even possible to order more than one on a single phone number! UNBELIEVEABLE!

At this point, I'm hesitant to cancel any of them until I at least get ONE in my hand. ADVICE????????????????????????

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
At this point, I'm hesitant to cancel any of them until I at least get ONE in my hand. ADVICE????????????????????????

I think your last line sums it up. I'm kinda in the same boat, and I'm scared to cancel any or do anything until I see some shipment notifications or I have at least one in hand. So much misinformation and wild-a** guesses at this point, who knows.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
that's how all of us feel I think. If we KNEW it would not mess up our first order and we'd still get it on the 24th we'd cancel.

The thing I'm worried about? How many of Apple's record sales are not duplicate orders? Like 10,000? 50,000? I bet it's a lot of that 600k as people were able to do multiple orders on launch day at the 199 price.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I think a charge to your bank account is a pretty legitimate sign that the orders will ship.

It makes sense that if you ordered two with Apple or two with AT&T that they would see a duplicate order and cancel one, but other than checking if you are eligible for an upgrade - Apple and AT&T have no other communication until you go to activate the phone.

It's possible that you'll receive one and be able to cancel the others - but the longer you wait the less likely that becomes. Then you can receive the phones and return them for a restocking fee or sell them.

If you didn't already have all those charges I would say wait in line and see if you can get one on launch day.

LSUgolfer23

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
I just got off the phone with Apple. Only a 5 minute wait!

I was told that one of my two Apple orders will likely be dropped out of their system since the charge for the phone has disappeared from my bank account. I'll check in the morning and see if this is true.

I was also told that if more than one phone shipped to me, I would NOT be charged the unsubsidized balance since I've already been charged the $199+tax. I never indicated that I would keep the additional phone (I'll likely just cancel it as soon as the first one shows up). The rep was very insistent that they COULD NOT just charge me extra money after I'd already been charged the $199+tax for the phone.

I, of course, didn't ask what would happen if I threw my wife's SIM card into that second phone and plugged it up to iTunes. I cannot really expect her to give me an answer on what will happen since it would be against their policy.

Food for thought people! UGH!!!

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
It's funny you say that because I just got off the phone with AT&T and I was told by a manager that AT&T would automatically charge me an extra 400 when I activated the apple phone and not the AT&T one and she said she was 100 percent sure about that. So I guess we will find out next week!
I just got off the phone with Apple. Only a 5 minute wait!

I was told that one of my two Apple orders will likely be dropped out of their system since the charge for the phone has disappeared from my bank account. I'll check in the morning and see if this is true.

I was also told that if more than one phone shipped to me, I would NOT be charged the unsubsidized balance since I've already been charged the $199+tax. I never indicated that I would keep the additional phone (I'll likely just cancel it as soon as the first one shows up). The rep was very insistent that they COULD NOT just charge me extra money after I'd already been charged the $199+tax for the phone.

I, of course, didn't ask what would happen if I threw my wife's SIM card into that second phone and plugged it up to iTunes. I cannot really expect her to give me an answer on what will happen since it would be against their policy.

Food for thought people! UGH!!!

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005

This is an interesting revelation. It's been assumed up to this point that you'd eventually be charged the full price for the second phone, but I see where this rep is coming from. I think this will only apply to orders from Apple though, not ATT.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Im in the same boat as all of you,
I have 2 that supposedly will be shipped and I have paid 300+ dollars for both fo them, your all saying that fi I get the 2 and bring them in that AT&T will charge me the difference in price even though I bought it online?
Are the phones serial #s linked to your account?

What would happen if I say gave it to a friend and they said they paid 300 for it and activated it?

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
It's funny you say that because I just got off the phone with AT&T and I was told by a manager that AT&T would automatically charge me an extra 400 when I activated the apple phone and not the AT&T one and she said she was 100 percent sure about that. So I guess we will find out next week!

Right, the Apple phone. I think if you have an ATT order and an Apple order and activate and keep the ATT order and do nothing with the Apple order (return it, keep it, sell it) maybe Apple won't charge you the remaining balance. Seems unlikely though.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
No matter which phone you activate and which you sell, AT&T will be the one charging you extra. They sold you the phone subsidized from Apple.

By getting your new iPhone for $200, you are agreeing to a two year contract with AT&T so that they will be able to recoup the cost of paying Apple the remaining $400 for the phone. You already paid $200 for the second phone, but if you use the phone on another carrier or don't activate it or sell it to someone else AT&T needs to recover the $400 it's not getting from YOU (by being on a contract with them). You can only have one subsidized phone at a time.

AT&T can charge you for anything anytime because you have a phone contract with them. Depending on your situation, they may be charging you an $18 upgrade fee - that goes on your bill.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
No matter which phone you activate and which you sell, AT&T will be the one charging you extra. They sold you the phone subsidized from Apple.

By getting your new iPhone for $200, you are agreeing to a two year contract with AT&T so that they will be able to recoup the cost of paying Apple the remaining $400 for the phone. You already paid $200 for the second phone, but if you use the phone on another carrier or don't activate it or sell it to someone else AT&T needs to recover the $400 it's not getting from YOU (by being on a contract with them). You can only have one subsidized phone at a time.

AT&T can charge you for anything anytime because you have a phone contract with them. Depending on your situation, they may be charging you an $18 upgrade fee - that goes on your bill.

Good way of putting it and the most logical outcome. I think this is what everyone should expect if they've got two phones.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
For what's it worth, AT&T's standard activation is that if you do not activate your headset, AT&T has the right to charge/bill you the difference of full retail pricing. The activation step is also required because this also accepts the 2 year agreement.

Since you are activating at least one headset, you are at least agreeing to the contract. So really, we do not know if AT&T's system will catch a separate order from Apple and another in their own system. Guess we'll find next Thursday...:p

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Except what happens if the person you sell it to-opens a new line with a 2 year contract.

in that case, would AT&T not charge you?
in short you have to sell it to someone who plans to open a new line.

amiright?

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
For what's it worth, AT&T's standard activation is that if you do not activate your headset, AT&T has the right to charge/bill you the difference of full retail pricing. The activation step is also required because this also accepts the 2 year agreement.

Since you are activating at least one headset, you are at least agreeing to the contract. So really, we do not know if AT&T's system will catch a separate order from Apple and another in their own system. Guess we'll find next Thursday...:p

No. I think it's pretty safe to assume that AT&T won't catch an order from Apple and vice-versa, but they will when you (or someone else) activates the second phone.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Except what happens if the person you sell it to-opens a new line with a 2 year contract.

amiright?

With every headset purchased, AT&T has it in their system a pend upgrade. Which means that their system has it that the line upgrades has the new imei and sim card preregistered. If the pend upgrade does not complete, their system is suppose to charge you the difference.

If someone else activated it, it will not fulfill the contract of the upgraded line. The headset will work regardless though.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX

amiright?

I really pretty sure that YOU will be charged since the phone was originally linked to your account (where you've already used your upgrade).

The $199 price is a subsidized price that depends on your two year contract with AT&T. If someone buys the phone from you, they wouldn't need to sign a contract because they'd already have the phone in hand - so AT&T would charge you for a full-price phone.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
With every headset purchased, AT&T has it in their system a pend upgrade. Which means that their system has it that the line upgrades has the new imei and sim card preregistered. If the pend upgrade does not complete, their system is suppose to charge you the difference.

If someone else activated it, it will not fulfill the contract of the upgraded line. The headset will work regardless though.

What do you mean by that last line? That as long as someone else, other than you, activates the phone you won't be charged for the remaining subsidy?

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
Get two. Sell the second one. But don't be surprised when you get you get a $400 charge on your bill for the second phone. If you don't? Great. Lucky you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.