Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I have an old 64GB iPad kicking around we had previously used just for Pandora. My son is at the age where he can now watch videos and "play" games etc. so I figured I would give it to him.

So far, the only issues I had was he knows how to use the home button to get out of an app (a quick Jailbreak and install of Incarcerate fixed that) and that all his HD movies won't play (so I downloaded some SD versions).

What else can this thing do? Game support seems pretty limited - most won't work on iOS 5.1.1. Just looking for toddler things for my 1.5 year old.

I assume I have to get an iPad 3 for the ability to play HD videos (anyone got one for $100?) :(

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
Ok ... We have a 4 year toddler and my advice would be the following:
Buy yours a cheap kindle fire and keep your iPad for Pandora steaming....

My kid streams cartoons from either Amazon prime content (free if you have an Amazon prime membership) and Netflix. With the parental control on the fire you control everything... Time used on the kindle to the apps installed. This way you will also avoid all the YouTube video craps... Plus With the Amazon prime you can also download on the tablet and watch later, which is super useful for long airplane trips. He can play some little educational games from the Amazon android store ... Believe me this is more than enough for a "screen/multimedia" experience at this age.
Plus the kindle fire is super sturdy, cheap and will avoid you the hassle and struggles to find the apps still compatible with your old iPad.

Reactions: jeremiah256

btdpi007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
I'm not going to tell you to spend $100, but do yourself a favor and spend the $100 like MNR suggested and get a Kindle Fire Kids (especially if you have Amazon Prime). It is so nice to hand your kid a tablet and a) know everything is kid appropriate and b) everything they can wander into is part of the "Freetime" experience. My kids are 6 and 4 and about the only thing they miss from their iPads is the Youtube Kids app. You'll, also, quickly learn that not many apps will run on iOS 5.

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
I'm not going to tell you to spend $100, but do yourself a favor and spend the $100 like MNR suggested and get a Kindle Fire Kids (especially if you have Amazon Prime). It is so nice to hand your kid a tablet and a) know everything is kid appropriate and b) everything they can wander into is part of the "Freetime" experience. My kids are 6 and 4 and about the only thing they miss from their iPads is the Youtube Kids app. You'll, also, quickly learn that not many apps will run on iOS 5.

There is a way to have "Youtube" on the kindle fire you can download an app for that, however on our side we are really happy that my son doesn't have the possibility to use Youtube. There is so many of those "stupid" videos, like opening eggs with a toy or adults trying to make stories with toys ... seriously my son is better off that crap.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I used Waltr to dump a bunch of movies on ours, perfect for the 5 year old. But he really only uses it for that. Games etc. he wants to play on the Air 1.

Oh - and Plex still works a treat (kudos to them for keeping it in the loop on older devices)!

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
I have an old 64GB iPad kicking around we had previously used just for Pandora. My son is at the age where he can now watch videos and "play" games etc. so I figured I would give it to him.

So far, the only issues I had was he knows how to use the home button to get out of an app (a quick Jailbreak and install of Incarcerate fixed that) and that all his HD movies won't play (so I downloaded some SD versions).

What else can this thing do? Game support seems pretty limited - most won't work on iOS 5.1.1. Just looking for toddler things for my 1.5 year old.

I assume I have to get an iPad 3 for the ability to play HD videos (anyone got one for $100?) :(
Sorry, my iPad 3 is being used by my three-year old to watch videos and play games.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'm thinking you're going to have a hard time finding good kids apps for the first gen iPad. But search around on eBay and the Apple Refurb Store for a used Mini first gen. I bet you can get one for less than $200. My daughter has one and can do just about anything on it. It is a little slow/choppy for the most advanced stuff, but otherwise is totally fine, and more her size to handle than a 9.7".

Bmoreguy03

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2011
Rocky Mount NC
I was so shocked about those dumb adult playing with toy videos. My daughter had YouTube kids and I walk in and I'm like. Wtf is this? Needless to say she doesn't have YouTube on her mini anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.