Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Helped the system responsiveness a little but safari still sucks.
One more update and then I will change my browser to firefox or chrome

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Helped the system responsiveness a little but safari still sucks.
One more update and then I will change my browser to firefox or chrome

I moved to Chrome and haven't looked back. Safari is a second rate web browser both for OS X and iOS.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I moved to Chrome and haven't looked back. Safari is a second rate web browser both for OS X and iOS.

I've been hesitating because every time I go to download it they make me sign a novel that looks like I'm signing over my life to them

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Chrome is presently slower than Firefox, so probably picked the wrong alternative. Though I'm on 37 Aurora, so maybe the public version isn't as fast ;-).

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I downloaded Chrome, installed adblock and ghostly and Memory Clean from the App store.
Chrome with one page open left only 400Mb RAM on the system
After closing Chrome the RAM wasn't freed and used Memory Clean to get back to 1Gb free RAM
Closed Chrome and opened Safari (already with adblock and clicktoflash installed)with one page, there is almost 1Gb Free RAM.

So, what are we to make of this? I found Chrome to be snappier and I like the more full features but this RAM usage is concerning. RAM actually went into red after opening another page.
Firefox did this as well

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
OK, restarted my Mini. Free RAM was only around 500Mb. Used memory clean then opened one page in safari. Only 322Mb Free RAM this time.
WTF is going on? Seems to me that Yosemite does not know how to allocate RAM properly, which is probably why increasing my Mini from 4Gb to 8Gb did absolutely nothing to improve performance.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

echel0n

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
I downloaded Chrome, installed adblock and ghostly and Memory Clean from the App store.
Chrome with one page open left only 400Mb RAM on the system
After closing Chrome the RAM wasn't freed and used Memory Clean to get back to 1Gb free RAM
Closed Chrome and opened Safari (already with adblock and clicktoflash installed)with one page, there is almost 1Gb Free RAM.

So, what are we to make of this? I found Chrome to be snappier and I like the more full features but this RAM usage is concerning. RAM actually went into red after opening another page.
Firefox did this as well

I have _always_ used Chrome as my default browser, and while Flash has caused me undue memory pressure from time to time, I habitually have over 10 tabs open in Chrome all the time, along with XCode and several other apps, and generally it runs just fine. That is with a 16GB Retina MBP, admittedly, but I do use other machines with less and still don't see Chrome causing many problems.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I have _always_ used Chrome as my default browser, and while Flash has caused me undue memory pressure from time to time, I habitually have over 10 tabs open in Chrome all the time, along with XCode and several other apps, and generally it runs just fine. That is with a 16GB Retina MBP, admittedly, but I do use other machines with less and still don't see Chrome causing many problems.

Well, my Mini that I own has 8Gb RAM so it won't be an issue but my mother's Mini, which has 4Gb RAM and is where I installed Chrome may be a problem with the RAM usage.

I haven't installed it on my Mini yet.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So, what are we to make of this? I found Chrome to be snappier and I like the more full features but this RAM usage is concerning.

I take your statement to mean that you don't understand how the operating system uses RAM. But that's OK. We're just users of the machine. We don't need to know how it's built, how an OS works, or how memory is managed. As such, I would encourage you to stop watching Activity Monitor, stop running Memory Clean, and stop developing false expectations of how the machine is supposed to work under the hood. Everything you described sounds completely normal to me, even though I admit I have no knowledge of the details of memory management. You didn't mention any real user-facing problem. Is the machine slow? Do you get spinning beachballs? If not, forget about it.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I take your statement to mean that you don't understand how the operating system uses RAM. But that's OK. We're just users of the machine. We don't need to know how it's built, how an OS works, or how memory is managed. As such, I would encourage you to stop watching Activity Monitor, stop running Memory Clean, and stop developing false expectations of how the machine is supposed to work under the hood. Everything you described sounds completely normal to me, even though I admit I have no knowledge of the details of memory management. You didn't mention any real user-facing problem. Is the machine slow? Do you get spinning beachballs? If not, forget about it.

I opened up another thread about RAM and they explained it to me, but in Safari I have been getting beachballs and the machine is definitely slower in Yosemite than Mavericks (both my Mini with 8Gb RAM and my mothers with 4Gb RAM.
The latest update seems to have helped a little with system speed, although still slower than under Mavericks and safari keeps hanging on some sites, just sitting there doing nothing for 30 seconds or so which is why I wanted to try Chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.