Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
Samsung ssdrive has excellent garbage collection controller, so as Intel sand force ssds. They will be fine with out trim.

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
^^^^And what SSDs were designed not to work with trim?

Lou
In the early age of ssd manufactories were selling ssds to server station.
Intel x25-e slc no trim I still have one on this. But From 2011 all ssds support trim, all ssd should use trim if u can.
Different ssd controller works different , Marvell is no good with out trim compared to sand force , Samsung also manage better without trim then most of Marvell. It is not so simple .

Last edited:

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA

xegitalian19xx

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
So i've attempted to do a lot of reading on this and still don't quite have the answer I was looking for & I was hoping someone in this thread can point me in the right direction. My 2014 Mac mini was running like crap & I didn't want to install an SSD in the case as i'm not very techy. I used a samsung EVO Pro SSD via USB 3.0. I've been using it last few days. My question is, does "sudo trimforce enable" work for the USB drive that i'm using as the system drive?
Thank you!!

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
So i've attempted to do a lot of reading on this and still don't quite have the answer I was looking for & I was hoping someone in this thread can point me in the right direction. My 2014 Mac mini was running like crap & I didn't want to install an SSD in the case as i'm not very techy. I used a samsung EVO Pro SSD via USB 3.0. I've been using it last few days. My question is, does "sudo trimforce enable" work for the USB drive that i'm using as the system drive?
Thank you!!

Sorry USB 2.0 3.0 does not support trim.

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
hey guys i must say , i was wrong about trim with usb 3.0.

JMS 578 usb 3.0 bridge controller under UASP will support trim.

this topic has going on in a Chinese SSD community for some time now , i have just read it.
http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-125643-1-1.html.

the test shows only JMS 578 with UASP or later controller in a use 3.0 support trim , others not, such as ASM 1153E.
[doublepost=1456096453][/doublepost]
Thank you!!
sorry I was wrong , JMS 578 usb 3.0 bridge controller support trim.
if u need a USB external housings which support trim , get the intatek fe2006.

http://www.legitreviews.com/inateck-fe2006-review-usb-external-drive-with-uasp_155530

Last edited:

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
windows 10 , with usb 3.0 UASP , trim is working
[doublepost=1456181031][/doublepost]under mac osx , my iMac and my macbook pro do not recognise ,at list not showing the external drive as solid state drive , so i cannot conform that trim is supported. and i have no way or knowledge for how to test it.
[doublepost=1456182029][/doublepost]https://www.cindori.org/forums/topic/external-ssd-el-capitan-trim/
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
I have seen my SSD temperature get high lately , 48 C. running 10.11.4 , with trim force. what is you temperature?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
no idea what is happening with the 840 pro in my iMac. 42+ all the time now. 48 sometimes. any ideas?

Running SSD 840 EVO (1TB) OS X 10.10.5 @47*C / sleeping SSD 840 EVO (500GB) Windows 8.1 @40*C atm. Both on a Apricorn Velocity DUOx2 in cMP5.1.

ScreenCap%202016-04-04%20at%2022.15.51.jpg

What's up with the temps of the SSD's?

Cheers

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
Running SSD 840 EVO (1TB) OS X 10.10.5 @47*C / sleeping SSD 840 EVO (500GB) Windows 8.1 @40*C atm. Both on a Apricorn Velocity DUOx2 in cMP5.1.

ScreenCap%202016-04-04%20at%2022.15.51.jpg

What's up with the temps of the SSD's?

Cheers

my 840 pro was running under 40c since something this year it gets so high, I think under 50c it should be ok, but the healthy temp should be 35c to 40c.

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
USB Trim Problem solved

FROM Apple Support Communities:

Watto SurnameJan 20, 2016 8:57 AM
in response to LowLuster

Hello,

You are correct and incorrect. At the time you wrote the solution, the statement s were valid. There is something called UASP (Specific to USB 3.0 and higher) that has been around since 2011/2012. It was only in the latter part of 2015 that you began to see it incorporated in all sorts of USB enclosures and devices. It's even in a cheap $11 case I bought at a retail shop.

UASP is Universal Attached SCSI Protocol. It allows for better management of data transfer over USB for devices with frequent constant I/O. Some people may think I am referring to attaching a SCSI device to a USB. Not quite. SCSI is parallel and ancient but it had a superior method of handling data reads and writes with queue depth storage. It takes USB and adds SCSI protocol on top of it giving your USB device access to SCSI commands on the controller thus increasing performance, latency, throughput, while reducing CPU overhead.

Can your USB truly get 5Gbps ? Well, the answer is pretty much "With UASP it's common to see 4.8Gbps. In some situations you can event get 4.999999Gbps. In rare cases it can even surpass 5.0+ Gbps giving you near SATA 6 speeds". I thought it was tripe until I saw it with my own eyes. There are drawbacks with any technology. Technically TRIM is possible now because you can send those commands through to the device. I've been unable to get it to work but that is an OS issue.

Mac OS X 10.8 added this feature in the IOUSBMassStorage extension. Windows 8.1 and higher have it. Linux just added it.

The only question I can't answer is UASP with USB RAID devices. I hear mixed answers about this combination. So far the answer is, "They don't exist". Yet I have seen it advertised recently. I haven't been able to confirm if its true or false advertising. That's only with the any combination of USB 3.0 w/RAID or w/eSATA+RAID.

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
I don't see anything solved here. UASP has been around a while and does not solve the TRIM issue with USB. TRIM is a ATA command, and ATA commands are not passed over USB, with or without UASP.
I was wondering why does my usb 3.0 UASP passed the trim test under Windows 10 trim test Report.

after read this :
This was bothering me so I did an ioreg -l on my mac. The section to search under is IOUSBMassStorageUASDriver. If you see this active then your controller has activated the UASp support in Mac OS X (El Capitan).

When I look through the tree, I discovered that it then activates the SCSI protocol then IOSATDriver, and shows that the drive is “SMART” capable. However, unlike my HDD, it does not verify the SMART status. It appears capable of passing SCSI and ATA commands because clearly it’s doing so in the command set. The question is, are those commands included? If they were, they would pass TRIM or UNMAP (SCSI’s version) commands.

In theory, it is possible to support TRIM on a USB SSD with UASp and this could be done through ATA commands through SCSI UNMAP commands. When using fsck, it reports to be “trimming” the drive. Not sure how accurate this is though.

I am convinced this is an OS problem and not a hardware issue. It is entirely possible to get this working and hopefully was taken into consideration when developing support for USB-C.

| | | | +-o org_dungeon_driver_IOSATDriver <class org_dungeon_driver_IOSATDriver, id 0x100000335, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0 (19 ms), retain 8>
| | | | | {
| | | | | “IOClass” = “org_dungeon_driver_IOSATDriver”
| | | | | “IOMaximumBlockCountWrite” = 2048
| | | | | “Permissive” = Yes
| | | | | “IOPowerManagement” = {“CapabilityFlags”=49216,”MaxPowerState”=4,”ActivityTickles”=1237214,”IdleTimerPeriod”=200000,”DevicePowerState”=4,”TimeSinceLastTickle”=173,”DriverPowerState”=1,”IdleTimerElapsedTime”=154425,”CurrentPowerState”=4}
| | | | | “IOProviderClass” = “IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceNub”
| | | | | “IOMediaIcon” = {“IOBundleResourceFile”=”USBHD.icns”,”CFBundleIdentifier”=”com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily”}
| | | | | “Peripheral Device Type” = 0
| | | | | “IOProbeScore” = 6000
| | | | | “UsePassThrough16” = No
| | | | | “Product Name” = “Micron_M550_MTFDDAK128MAY”
| | | | | “Serial Number” = “############”
| | | | | “WriteCacheState” = Yes
| | | | | “SATSMARTCapable” = Yes
| | | | | “IOMaximumBlockCountRead” = 2048
| | | | | “CFBundleIdentifier” = “org.dungeon.driver.SATSMARTDriver”
| | | | | “Model” = “Micron_M550_MTFDDAK128MAY”
| | | | | “IOMatchCategory” = “IODefaultMatchCategory”
| | | | | “Product Revision Level” = “MU02”
| | | | | “IOMaximumByteCountWrite” = 1048576
| | | | | “IOMaximumByteCountRead” = 1048576
| | | | | “ATA Features” = 32
| | | | | “IOKitDebug” = 65535
| | | | | }
| | | | |
| | | | +-o IOSATServices <class IOSATServices, id 0x100000339, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (19 ms), retain 6>
| | | | | {
| | | | | “IOCFPlugInTypes” = {“24514B7A-2804-11D6-8A02-003065704866″=”SATSMARTLib.plugin”}
| | | | | “device-type” = “Generic”
| | | | | “IOUserClientClass” = “SATSMARTUserClient”
| | | | | “Device Characteristics” = {“Vendor Name”=”Micron_M”,”Product Name”=”550_MTFDDAK128MA”,”Product Revision Level”=”0501″}
| | | | | “Protocol Characteristics” = {“Physical Interconnect”=”USB”,”Read Time Out Duration”=30000,”SCSI Logical Unit Bytes”=<0000000000000000>,”SCSI Logical Unit Number”=0,”Physical Interconnect Location”=”External”,”Write Time Out Duration”=30000}
| | | | | “SMART Capable” = Yes
| | | | | “IOMinimumSegmentAlignmentByteCount” = 4
| | | | | }
| | | | |

and

UASP is Universal Attached SCSI Protocol. It allows for better management of data transfer over USB for devices with frequent constant I/O. Some people may think I am referring to attaching a SCSI device to a USB. Not quite. SCSI is parallel and ancient but it had a superior method of handling data reads and writes with queue depth storage. It takes USB and adds SCSI protocol on top of it giving your USB device access to SCSI commands on the controller thus increasing performance, latency, throughput, while reducing CPU overhead.

Can your USB truly get 5Gbps ? Well, the answer is pretty much "With UASP it's common to see 4.8Gbps. In some situations you can event get 4.999999Gbps. In rare cases it can even surpass 5.0+ Gbps giving you near SATA 6 speeds". I thought it was tripe until I saw it with my own eyes. There are drawbacks with any technology. Technically TRIM is possible now because you can send those commands through to the device. I've been unable to get it to work but that is an OS issue.
-------

SO

i think SCSI and ATA commands can be send through usb UASP with a right chipset, but rather the os support it or not.

Last edited:

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
is it safe to enable the TRIM if I use SSD and HDD (optibay) on my macbook?
So far it seems ok (since January 2016), but I tried the SSD (sandisk pro II) in the optibay and got a 6GB negotiated link with no apparent issues so far, but it's the late 2011 17". I wanted to preserve the motion sensor in the drive bay for the hdd, and that's also reporting a 6GB link with a WD drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.