Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple bring iOS 7 design to OS X

• Yes, I think it will look good on a Mac

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • Yes, But I think it won't look good on a Mac

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • No, I think iOS 7 design looks bad on a Mac

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • No, But I want iOS 7 design on Mac.

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm betting OS X is dead and OS XI will take over!

I don't like the 10.10 name... Seems like it should tick over to 11.0

I can hear Phill Schiller saying this:

We've come up with the perfect hybrid of our OS X and IOS platforms, our next OS! OS XI

I think they would just drop the X and switch over to Mac OS, before they named it OS XI. I don't think there's gonna be any amazing features to warrant such a version update (besides the dumb 10.10 name. Which is only for 1 version and will be back to normal next year).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think they would just drop the X and switch over to Mac OS, before they named it OS XI. I don't think there's gonna be any amazing features to warrant such a version update (besides the dumb 10.10 name. Which is only for 1 version and will be back to normal next year).
They can't do that - the "Mac" in "Mac OS X" was already dropped. Also, Steve Jobs / Phil Schiller did say that the "OS X" brand would exist for a while - this'll be its 10th year. I am not sure if there are plans to keep it around for 20 years or not.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Uh, Timer Coalescing, Memory Compression, etc.

Apple has done some impressive under the hood things. I'm amazed at the memory performance that they brought to the table, compression is not new, but the Macs implementation makes the machine perform as if it has almost a whole extra gig or two in it.

I have been able to push 8Gb of RAM all the way to 18.5Gb before heavy Swap.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I have been able to push 8Gb of RAM all the way to 18.5Gb before heavy Swap.

It's truly incredible isn't it??:eek:

I know they didn't invent this technology, but I've never seen anything like this on a PC before. I've got a 2009 MBP and I'm truly stunned at how well this thing performs being 5 years old. Every Core2Duo computer I've used that isn't a well maintained gaming rig feels like a dog compared to my trusty macbook.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
It's truly incredible isn't it??:eek:

I know they didn't invent this technology, but I've never seen anything like this on a PC before. I've got a 2009 MBP and I'm truly stunned at how well this thing performs being 5 years old. Every Core2Duo computer I've used that isn't a well maintained gaming rig feels like a dog compared to my trusty macbook.

It is great. I believe the last time true RAM compression was used back in the late 80's for computers that that had x amount of RAM, and the OS would take up x straight away. I'm pretty sure the algorithm hasn't change that much since then, but we are dealing with 4+Gb of RAM, instead of Kb's worth!

There was one time where I accidentally opened around 80-100 high resolution images in Pixelmator, and my RAM usage (I have 8Gb of RAM in my iMac) shot up to 20.5Gb in use! 2Gb of this was swap, but 18.5Gb was held in RAM (with the swap only starting to build up around the 15.5Gb area)! If I were to do the same thing on Mountain Lion, or Windows, it would have been just as fast for the first 8Gb, but then fall flat on it's face after that (and maybe even result in crashing).

I am very happy with RAM compression. So much so that if OSX 10.10 were not to have it, I would really considering not upgrading and just staying at 10.9 on my 2013 iMac. It is really one of my most favorite additions to OSX in quite some time :)

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
It is great. I believe the last time true RAM compression was used back in the late 80's for computers that that had x amount of RAM, and the OS would take up x straight away. I'm pretty sure the algorithm hasn't change that much since then, but we are dealing with 4+Gb of RAM, instead of Kb's worth!

There was one time where I accidentally opened around 80-100 high resolution images in Pixelmator, and my RAM usage (I have 8Gb of RAM in my iMac) shot up to 20.5Gb in use! 2Gb of this was swap, but 18.5Gb was held in RAM (with the swap only starting to build up around the 15.5Gb area)! If I were to do the same thing on Mountain Lion, or Windows, it would have been just as fast for the first 8Gb, but then fall flat on it's face after that (and maybe even result in crashing).

I am very happy with RAM compression. So much so that if OSX 10.10 were not to have it, I would really considering not upgrading and just staying at 10.9 on my 2013 iMac. It is really one of my most favorite additions to OSX in quite some time :)

I think Apple has made it very clear that Maverick's technology is the base that the next 10 years of OSX is going to run off of. I think whatever announced tomorrow will refine further, but I sincerely doubt apple is going to roll back such a powerful technology.

Will they be able to bring it to iOS in such a powerful way?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I think Apple has made it very clear that Maverick's technology is the base that the next 10 years of OSX is going to run off of. I think whatever announced tomorrow will refine further, but I sincerely doubt apple is going to roll back such a powerful technology.

Will they be able to bring it to iOS in such a powerful way?

I believe it is already used in iOS in some form or another. When looking at low memory logs, iOS devices show a variable of compressed memory so I think that they already do.

I too feel that it will be in OSX 10.10 (or hope at least!), what else would you like to see? Are you wanting a re-designed UI?

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I believe it is already used in iOS in some form or another. When looking at low memory logs, iOS devices show a variable of compressed memory so I think that they already do.

I too feel that it will be in OSX 10.10 (or hope at least!), what else would you like to see? Are you wanting a re-designed UI?

I'm excited for the new look, I've enjoyed the streamlining the UI has taken since I first started using a Mac at 10.5.

Airdrop between iOS and OSX is going to be awesome whenever it's fully implemented.

The one thing I miss is the linen that was used in 10.8, but solely because I own a nice shirt with the same exact pattern :p

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
The one thing I miss is the linen that was used in 10.8, but solely because I own a nice shirt with the same exact pattern :p

haha

I'm excited for the new look, I've enjoyed the streamlining the UI has taken since I first started using a Mac at 10.5.

Airdrop between iOS and OSX is going to be awesome whenever it's fully implemented.

I totally agree with both of those. I'm looking forward to tomorrows Keynote in anticipation for a redesigned UI :)

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008

So, what kind of crazy things do you need to do to a mobile camera to make it so out of focus? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that some of these features won't be implemented (a swipe in from the left for a control center like panel would be an excellent complement to a refined notification center on the right), but I don't believe this as a leak for a second. Also, this has been around for a while now.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013

brainshutdown

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
So, what kind of crazy things do you need to do to a mobile camera to make it so out of focus? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that some of these features won't be implemented (a swipe in from the left for a control center like panel would be an excellent complement to a refined notification center on the right), but I don't believe this as a leak for a second. Also, this has been around for a while now.

It wasn't me who took the pictures. That dock looks ugly. I also believe it's fake, but after we have seen what happened with ios7...

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
The "spoiler" looks good to me, something sharper and whiter and flatter is ok right now.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Well, besides the main features, i still hope they will natively support ntfs partitions ;(, i know...it's not a big thing for most ppl. Though Paragon NTFS makes it's job pretty well.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
It wasn't me who took the pictures. That dock looks ugly. I also believe it's fake, but after we have seen what happened with ios7...

Oh no, I hope you didn't get the idea that I thought you were posting the pictures. The "you" I was referring to sarcastically was whoever did these originally, they've been floating around for a few days now.

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013

Attachments

• BpI0HDxIcAARUN0.jpg-large.jpeg
    BpI0HDxIcAARUN0.jpg-large.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 164

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
For Feck's sake!

I saw pictures of this new continuation of FLAT styling.

IN the late 90's early 00's I use to think of MAC as fisher price back in the days of bubble iMacs (Johnny) and I got over that as their look and GUI improved to something very enjoyable that I actually came to love (Snow Leopard was my stepping on the Apple train). Now I see Johnny is back at it again but now on the interface.

ID people should not be allowed to close to GUI design and I don't want to wait around while Johhny learns by trail and error via the userbase, in a very public and global way.

The natural inclination is to make things flat and slim in the 3D world, this is the challenge but in the 2D world you can't loose another dimension and reducing one over another is not going to work either but that is what you are seeing, the same motivation in ignorance of it's constraints.

In fact you have to add dimension with visual tricks. This is the art of design.

I have one iOS device, it's my least favourite platform, iPad. I upgraded to iOS 7 and realized almost instantly how much I preferred the older look, but it took me to lose it to fully realise it's clarity.

FLAT is not clarity. It's not even minalmisim in truth. It's brutalisim.

As a designer, someone who paints, someone who has an eye for detail this fetish for flat is a disaster to my mind.

The japanese know how to do this design because they come form a culture of ZEN Buddhist influence and have an aesthetic, since Jobs is gone I worry where that influence will come from.

However it ties in with a dum-ification of the process apple seems to hell bent on implementing.

The human eye has the ability to enjoy detail beyond the resolution of retina, the human mind by default. The world is made of things small than atoms and the most of it in truth is 99.9999999 empty space.

It's out minds that fill it all in.

Texture is one of those things, colour another.

The two can interact to achieve a synergised experience but all of this is actually happening within what we might call the mind or your brian.

I never saw the term used before, skeuomorpisim, until they wanted to demonize it so to be rid of it and those who worked by it.

Classic propaganda.

They might as well appoint Crayola to design the next GUI.

So here we are now eh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.