Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Like fixing this cluster truck.
http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2016/20160102_1616-AppleCoreRot-Spotlight-file-search.html

2016-0102-AppleCoreRot-Spotlight.jpg

Yeah, it really sucks that they had every single one of their hundreds of programmers working ONLY on bringing Live Photos to Mac, I sure hope they get every single one of them to shift focus to your spotlight bug next.

/sarcasm

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
live phones, tried on 6s, turned off. not going to carry around a tripod for it to work.

Roykor

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
I do not know 1 single person that use Messenger. Overhere its all Whazapp or Skype for the most quick communications. Anyone here using Messenger? And if you use it, what is the main reason / benefits to use it? Maybe i have to do more with it.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Sweet Jesus, tell me about it. Spotlight used to be amazing.

Fast, a great app launcher before they actually highlighted it can act as such (now often times I need to type more letters just so my demand to launch the app is "obvious" when auto-complete already got me right...)

but most importantly: I remember times when Spotlight would NOT slow my Mac to a crawl.
Does Spotlight really have to re-index my entire system after an ungraceful restart AT FULL SPEED right after login?
Yeah, don't mind me, I'm not trying to get work done here, take your 20 minutes until I can enjoy my 5200rpm platters to full potential again.
Extra kudos for making HDD replacements unnecessarily awkward in the Mac world.
Yeah, that temperature sensor being IN the drive rather than glued to ANY drive I want really is a lovely decision.

Well, at least the drive isn't even more proprietary, soldered and glued. lol Thanks I guess?

Glassed Silver:mac

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

It wants you to activate icloud. (Already I didn't like that,as I think iCloud Sxx)
But, I did and then it searches for your cell number, I wasn't patient enough to figure out why it doesn't work.

Too convoluted, so I got frustrated and decided to forget about it.

Much faster to just e-mail yourself the pictures.

That was what I did yesterday night.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Public contacts have been broken since El Cap 10.11.0

What do you mean by 'Public contacts'? I've never heard that term before. For me I don't have any issues but then again I use iCloud and my contacts synchronise to iCloud without any problems. What service are you using to sync your contacts to?

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Now if only Apple could get their Messages app to sync consistently across multiple devices, it would be a great app/program!

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Is there a build that won't destroy my DIY fusion drive? I'm holding off for the GM seems like every two public beta updates reboot my iMac to a white screen of death ;(

WD NAS driver is knackered now software wise. Imovie crashes when using titles and more. Never happened before in the 8 years I've been using Macs with any OS updates. Just another nail in the coffin of my loyalty as Apple concentrated more on IOS and Windows 10 is moving on ... :-(

Jon Ch²

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
What do you mean by 'Public contacts'? I've never heard that term before. For me I don't have any issues but then again I use iCloud and my contacts synchronise to iCloud without any problems. What service are you using to sync your contacts to?
Public contacts is a feature of CardDav which is used by lots of mail servers which allows you to share a shared contacts list with all members of your organisation. This feature seems to be broken for all using El Capitan :(

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Live Photos is a waste of space and time.

Yes, I get that some like it, but call me humorless when I don't appreciate things that are gimmicky at best and a total waste of time and effort and don't do a thing to make my daily chores or life better.

Live photo is such a "thing" Good that it can be switched off. EMOJI, same "thing"

Now Apple let's work on getting rid of Game Center or at least let me switch it off.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I'm so excited about Apple spending time, resources and money to bring this to us that it made me forget all the dysfunctional facets of OSX and itunes not.

El Capitan....buggier than an ant farm owners underpants. Never again.

Sweet Jesus, tell me about it. Spotlight used to be amazing.

Fast, a great app launcher before they actually highlighted it can act as such (now often times I need to type more letters just so my demand to launch the app is "obvious" when auto-complete already got me right...)

but most importantly: I remember times when Spotlight would NOT slow my Mac to a crawl.
Does Spotlight really have to re-index my entire system after an ungraceful restart AT FULL SPEED right after login?
Yeah, don't mind me, I'm not trying to get work done here, take your 20 minutes until I can enjoy my 5200rpm platters to full potential again.
Extra kudos for making HDD replacements unnecessarily awkward in the Mac world.
Yeah, that temperature sensor being IN the drive rather than glued to ANY drive I want really is a lovely decision.

Well, at least the drive isn't even more proprietary, soldered and glued. lol Thanks I guess?

Glassed Silver:mac

Agreed. I tested 10.11.2 once it was released because I thought Apple might have fixed worst bugs. First I opened Mail and was "pleasantly" surprised to notice that most of mail was completely missing. Next I tested Spotlight and it has the same bugs as previously! Even deleting Spotlight index in Terminal and creating a new index only helps for a short time, in a day or two it again fails to find files and folders as described in Macperformance.com.

To add insult into injury both Disk Utility or Time Machine are both absolutely perfect and contain no bugs... :mad:

I don't want to sound pessimistic but compared to Snow Leopard or even Mavericks Yosemite and El Capitan are not stable or bug free. :(

Who genius in Apple got the bright idea to add even more features from iOS into OS X? At this rate I suspect using Mac with 10.14 feels like using iOS and everything will decided by Apple, not user.

Is there an intelligible changelog of bugfixes and system inhancements which actually matter available somewhere ?

I have wondered the same thing but unfortunately I havent been able to find such source. Apple Devoloper website has some info but most of it is complete gibberish to non-developers.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
it'd be cooler if instead of a 1.5 seconds on both sides, doing .75 seconds but with a higher frame rate.

Reactions: jz1492

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
just out of general curiosity

Does the iPhone support animated gifs in it's various apps ?
Can you see them in picture viewing apps and in emails, messages etc?

imspace2

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2001
Maryland
I do not know 1 single person that use Messenger. Overhere its all Whazapp or Skype for the most quick communications. Anyone here using Messenger? And if you use it, what is the main reason / benefits to use it? Maybe i have to do more with it.
I do like how it stays totally synced up with the messages on my that's the holler feature.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
It wants you to activate icloud. (Already I didn't like that,as I think iCloud Sxx)
But, I did and then it searches for your cell number, I wasn't patient enough to figure out why it doesn't work.

Too convoluted, so I got frustrated and decided to forget about it.

Much faster to just e-mail yourself the pictures.

That was what I did yesterday night.

I don't like having to use iCloud, where I have to send my files into the cloud. I meant, real AirDrop from iOS to OS X, the same way real AirDrop from OS X to iOS is simple and direct. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.