Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Nota issues here. Things running pretty smoothly as usual, and super excited about the FCPX update. Man, no slowdowns what so ever for me... super smooth and super quick. (2010 iMac i3 4gb ram). But before yesterdays fcpx update, i'd get the beachball every now and again for 5-10 sec. So for me, all good. Sorry to hear some are having issues... that's never fun :(

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

For the first time I can remeber last night I went with the combo updater instead of software updates for both of my macs. Seems like a good idea now. No issues to report. Hope it's ok when I get back home tonight

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Just updated my MB via software update, no issues here from what I can tell.

screenshot20120202at104.png

It had a 10.7.2 that was freshly installed from scratch recently.

I didn't even have to redo the Trim hack for my Intel SSD.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't feel like playing russian roulette atm. No thanks I'll pass on this update for now.

For some reason, delta updates always seem to have more issues than combo updates. Remember when Snow Leopard 10.6.7 caused a massive slowdown in the graphics performance of the MacBook Air? Apparently installing the combo update fixed it.

In general, I prefer combo updates. I've been running 10.7 since last July when I purchased my 2011 MacBook Air and have had no issues with it. 10.7.3 works well.

I'd just go with the combo and install it now. No sense waiting until 10.7.4, because undoubtedly someone will find an issue that affects a small number of users, and it will get a lot of publicity, too.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
The only thing that's going to force me to upgrade to Lion is the fact that iCloud requires is, which is absolutely unnecessary. There's nothing compelling about Lion.

I use Lion every day and have encountered no issues. Except for a couple of minor bugs in Safari.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Oooowww Now that's a cute error! :p
My guess is that the graphics for the button-background was unavailable and the CoreUI framework substituted the generic CUI-? image in order to point out, in a way nobody could miss, that this needs to be fixed.

I suspect it's always been in the OS, but you shouldn't see it unless there's a catastrophic bug (as appears to be the case for the bad updates.)

Some people say it isn't necessary, and perhaps it isn't, but I've always sworn by the combo updater. Never had any issues using it thus far.
The only thing potentially bad about combo updaters is that they're big. But if you've got enough bandwidth to download them, then there's really no disadvantage.

There shouldn't be any difference between a combo updater and the incremental updater, but as we've seen over the years, there sometimes is. The reason why can be an interesting subject for discussion, but I've never yet heard an explanation that makes sense. (And, FWIW, I've never used a combo updater, and I haven't suffered from these problems.)

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I can kind of understand bugs in Windows and Android, since they are developed to be used across all sorts of various hardware configurations. No way can the developers test out their software packages against the hundreds of thousands of possible hardware configurations out there.

However when the company controls both the hardware and the software, QA should catch these huge bugs before release.

There are virtually millions of possible configurations and options. It is impossible to catch everything. If you need an OS that never crashes or has any bugs, it needs to be super simple like DOS. However, if you want Apple to continually add new features, then there are going to be bugs form time to time.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think I will skip 10.7.3. While I do have multiple bootable backups, I don't want to waste time having to re-update. With 3 systems running Lion, I'll wait for a stable working update. Hopefully they will do something quickly. For me 10.7.2 is working fine and I see no reason to chance wrecking things.

10.7.3 runs fine on my 2011 MacBook Air. I'd just run the combo update. In general, they appear to be better than the delta updates, and that was true back in Snow Leopard, too.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I'll probably update today and take the risk since I have everything backed up already. Usually I download updates immediately, but didn't do it this time. I haven't had any issues with Lion. While I did like the separation of Expose and Spaces in SL I've adapted to Mission Control and find that it fits my needs fine.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Entirely true. How do you think the eggs got into the carton?

Cubic chickens?
Ahh, some Mac news. When Im old and sitting by the ol' thermal plasma unit, my grand children will ask me

"Gradpa Toddy, what was 'OH ESS TEN'?"

"Well, my little angels...that was a wonderful operating system they used before the great 'mobile OS wars'. Why, men and women could actually do things and be productive...it was incredible."

"Grandpa Toddy, that sounds crazy! You fought in the mobile OS wars didnt you?"

"Yes my dears, thats how Grandpa lost his typing skills. [I look off into the distance with tears in my eyes] Well, enough of that old talk, lets all grab moon ice cream!"

"Yay! Moon Ice Cream"

That is the future my friends...

One of the most brilliant posts of all times

When I installed, my MBP screen started to smoke, then fire came out of it. Strange mettalic bugs came out of the keyboard running for my eyes. After the can of Red Bull in front of me told me to run for my life, I woke up with a small bang to my head as it hit the keyboard.

Thus is the danger of installing at 4:39 in the morning. Warning, don't install software while asleep.

Other than that, it works great.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

No one ever points out the million things they do right......

No one ever does? Really? This must be the first thread you've ever read.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
For some reason, delta updates always seem to have more issues than combo updates. Remember when Snow Leopard 10.6.7 caused a massive slowdown in the graphics performance of the MacBook Air? Apparently installing the combo update fixed it.
The incremental updates only replace files that changed since the previous update. They assume that all the rest of the system files are as they were after the initial installation, or are in a predictable state.

Sometimes, this assumption is wrong. A customer may have hacked something, or an application installer may have altered a file it shouldn't have, malware could have corrupted something, or a file might have become corrupt as a result of a software or hardware glitch.

When you apply the combo updater, you're replacing every file that has ever been updated since the 10.x.0 release. As time goes on, and more updates come out, the percentage of files replaced by the combo updater grows, and the odds of a corrupt system file not getting replaced therefore goes down.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
will it be 10.7.4 once its "fixed" or is this not being acknowledged by apple as an issue and the work around was just created by us end users?

----------

sinces its called "Egg Product" i doubt a real egg was ever used

On the box it says 99% real eggs. Do people not even read pictures now too? I thought it was just that MR posters didn't read written posts ;)

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
There are virtually millions of possible configurations and options. It is impossible to catch everything. If you need an OS that never crashes or has any bugs, it needs to be super simple like DOS. However, if you want Apple to continually add new features, then there are going to be bugs form time to time.

Apple has complete control over the hardware side, unlike Microsoft. Apple knows exactly what CPU's and crippled GPU's they have sold to run their Operating System.

The number of various issues creeping into Mac OS is a little on the worrying. Some bugs may not be found until it has a mass roll out, but to create the conflict in one update and not the other? That is incompetence. If it was a general bug it would have effected both forms of updates. Someone at Apple HQ did not do the proper checks.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
There shouldn't be any difference between a combo updater and the incremental updater, but as we've seen over the years, there sometimes is. The reason why can be an interesting subject for discussion, but I've never yet heard an explanation that makes sense. (And, FWIW, I've never used a combo updater, and I haven't suffered from these problems.)

I'd never fault anyone for not using the combo updater, but then I see news posts on MacRumors like this one, and it makes me happy I do use the combo updater.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
...yet another reason I'm sticking with SL :rolleyes:

Lion is a bag of hurt.

You're certainly entitled to stick with SL.

I've had Lion since it became available - no problems of any kind and, perhaps out of ignorance, I like many of the features.

There are things I would like to see added, but no hurt here.:D

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Thought posting a model might help. I updated my 2008 Mac Pro and my Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" and so far so good on the updates. I usually go for the combo updater but decided to be lazy this time around. Working out, again, thus far.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This kind of crap makes me wonder how long it'll be before we're using iOS on our Macs. Apple have really just given up with OS X now. Lion has so far been the worse OS X release (both feature and stability wise) over the last 5 years.

How the hell do they let such blatantly obvious bugs slip through...

And the lack of a fix for the PHP version is worrying. Thats a simple 30 second fix verses a major known security flaw.

Pick it up Apple, you're loosing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.