Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Please let them fix the ridiculous Mountain Lion "upgrades" to the trackpad.

:D

seriously - have i mentioned that i hate what they did to the trackpad?
launchpad blows, give me back spaces, fix the app switcher, we understand you want it all to look like an ipad, but please stop turning my Macbook workhorse into a toy just so you can get a few bucks more from the App store.

We all know it's there, if we want something, we'll buy it.:mad:

----------

They need to produce two hardware/software tracks: The slow track for the people who want to buy a computer and not change anything on it for the next 10 years, and then the fast track for the people that need something new every ten seconds or they get bored.

i'd settle for not taking away useful features only to replace them with less useful features.

I love updates - change is good and 10.5 and 10.6 were both wonderful, but 10 10.7/10.8 were HUGE disappointments.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Please Apple, just 'optimise'! Don't keep adding novelty features and watering it down. Just optimise the damn thing!

I agree with you, my fellow idealist. But Apple, being a gigantic public company, they have to answer to shareholder who don't give a ***** about computing as they only see profit/loss/margin/RoR as they would hundreds of other companies whose board of directors they also a part of.

I wish somebody at Apple would at least maintain some semblance of "garage enterprise" mindset they had lost a long time ago. But a wish is a wish. Not a freaking falling star would make it come true.

----------

RRUUUUUUNNNN!! RUUUUUN While you can!!!

----------

RRUUUUUUNNNN!! RUUUUUN While you can!!!

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Here's what I'd like to see:

NUMBER ONE - Performance. I have Snow Leopard on my MBP and Mountain Lion on my iMac. ML on my MBP was horrible. Sluggish performance, long startup and shutdown times (I shutdown my machines all the time to save energy...sue me). I hope 10.9 has a focus on making things smooth again;

Number One.One - Keep up with the latest OpenGL extensions, please just do. While I don't see my macs as gaming machines and I'm not a big gamer as I once was, I still play a game or two. It would be nice to see some boosted performance;

Number Two - Improved Finder. I mean, really, improve the damn thing. I want the items to adapt to the window size, cut via cmd-x (I know, there's a move shortcut, but why not a damn cmd-x?!), middle click to open folder, tabs (middle click would allow new tab or new window), the snap to the sides from Windows 7...heck just get XtraFinder/Hyperdock/PathFinder into OSX;

Number Two_One - Still in finder, make delete easier. When deleting app, make it like using AppCleaner, it gets all the trash from it and deletes it and for USB Drives, don't make me use the Recycle Bin, just delete it in one go;

Number Three - Allow to choose between Mission Control or Spaces + Exposé;

Number Four - Allow to set the Save feature with the versions on or off (with old save and save as);

Number Five - Remove Skeuomorphism;

Number Six - Make iCloud more powerful like Dropbox, and Notes more powerful like Evernote;

Number Seven - Improve Mac App Store Performance and get Dashboard Widgets in there;

OFF 10.9
- Update iWork, I mean COME ON!!! It's been Four Years;

Sorry for long post :x

Number 4 you can ungroup applications which then makes it pretty much expose.

Number 5 you can already have save and save as either press the alt key when pressing file menu or go into system preferences > keyboard > keyboard shortcuts > application shortcuts.

Then add new one write save as… with keyboard shortcut shift command s

Your welcome.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I don't understand these Snow Leopard fans at all. :confused:

Maybe I could go without major new features like AppStore, iCloud, AutoSave, Dictation, FullScreen and MissionControl. But than there's also things like UnnaturalScrolling, PermanentScrollbars, ReflectiveDock and SeparateSearchField. I could never tolerate such stupidness again!

Face it, Snow Leopard is a piece of crap. I'm glad it's gone. Mountain Lion is at present the worlds best operating system ever. When 10.9 comes out next week it will look old and dated. This is not like Windows, where every new OS is uglier and more hostile than that before it.

Mac OS truly is a platform of innovation. Thats why I'm here. :apple:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
"safari is snappier" has been banned by the management of MacRumors for being annoy and repetitive. Fair enough.

But these "OS X lolcat" "OS X liger" "OS X garfield" jokes have been going on for over a decade.

Can you ban these also, mods?

How about we all grow a thicker skin and ignore what we find annoying?

It's not offensive or anything, but hey, if people to ban what they merely don't like, fair enough I guess? :rolleyes:

Glassed Silver:mac

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Snow Mountain Lion

In all seriousness, I can think of a few features that would be great:
- Undo Mission Control and Launchpad. Honestly, that was the biggest heap of crap ever. They took all the awesome features of Snow Leopard, then scrambled them little enough that you could still see the resemblance, but they weren't actually useful anymore.
- Resolution Independence.
- A decent file sharing system, modeled after Dropbox.
- Making Notes less like the iOS version and more like Stickies (which I still use because Notes is too bulky.) And why is Reminders a seperate app?

Revolutionary new stuff? Save it for OS 11... I'd like to see something stable, useful, and not bloated for OS X 10.9...

Although I actually have some great ideas for starting from scratch on mail and Safari and a few other apps for OS X and iOS... Some of them I might just go ahead and develop/sell on my own rather than annually hope for Apple to do on their own...

What about a new super slick option that would let us snooze an alarm/reminder to our own preferred time? :rolleyes:

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Apple could take a major swipe at Google by doing the following.

AdBlock+ functionality on both iOS and OSX Safari built in.
Need a "click to plugin" functionality.

The biggest?
When you type something in the search bar (say macrumors) and you get a list from Google Search clicking it doesn't take you to macrumors but a Google Search page where macrumors is the #1 result. Change the functionality so that it automatically takes you to macrumors bypassing Google Search.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple could take a major swipe at Google by doing the following.

AdBlock+ functionality on both iOS and OSX Safari built in.
Need a "click to plugin" functionality.

The biggest?
When you type something in the search bar (say macrumors) and you get a list from Google Search clicking it doesn't take you to macrumors but a Google Search page where macrumors is the #1 result. Change the functionality so that it automatically takes you to macrumors bypassing Google Search.

Google charges a butt ton for using their service without loading their page - I think it's $6 / 1000 requests. Just opening a search page with results is free.

Of course, loading their page in the background and not ever showing it and detecting the correct links is doable, but Google could probably modify their page to screw up any such attempts, plus they could probably sue.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm really not even looking forward to this at all. OSX announcements used to be exciting, but newer features like Launchpad and Mission Control do not add anything to my experience whatsoever. Even the under the hood improvements rarely seem particularly interesting anymore. I still get every new version, but that's mostly because I feel forced to for compatibility reasons.

Honestly, without a fundamental change to the way the computer works (something one might expect in an OSXI, not an 10.9), I don't even know what features I would like them to add anymore.

Just watched the 2004 announcement of 10.4. Amazing to see stuff like spotlight added! I actually learned I could make smart mailboxes in 10.8 by watching it! :p

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Google charges a butt ton for using their service without loading their page - I think it's $6 / 1000 requests. Just opening a search page with results is free.

Of course, loading their page in the background and not ever showing it and detecting the correct links is doable, but Google could probably modify their page to screw up any such attempts, plus they could probably sue.

Simple switch would work.
Apple could generate a list of "simple" terms and then rely on Google/Bing/Yahoo/Whatever for more complex searches.

Type in "Neiman Marcus" into bar and it takes you to Neiman Marcus OR gives you the ability to search on Google.

I don't need Google to tell me that Neiman Marcus is the number one search result for Neiman Marcus. I just want to go to neimanmarcus.com

A massive amount of Googles revenue is from the URL bar now being used as search instead of what it was designed to do plus lazy people.

Take that away and you hit Google in the pocketbook - coupled with Adblock+ functionality.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
<HUMOR>

Mac OS X 10.9 - giving it all back

Classic support
PPC support - it was just a checkbox in XCode according to Steve!
AppleTalk
UFS filesystems
Rosetta
NFS server
bootable ZFS filesystem

and more......

All the things we paid to have Apple take away. Now we get to pay again to get them back.

Available on dual layer DVD or BlueRay media

</HUMOR>

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
That's a really bad idea

Yeah, because once a new version of OSX is out everyone must instantly upgrade whether they want to or not and developers are completely on the hook for their apps running like butter in it.

...Not.

People could also simply choose to ignore the release of Apple's new operating system, and developers can start at that point testing and making changes to their applications if required, and then come forward with an official statement that "our app is compatible with 10.9", making them then actually responsible for supporting issues on it.

Then people can upgrade their operating system, and apply updates to their apps if need be, and go on with their computing lives.

See? This is how the system works.

Sometimes I get the impression folks on this forum give WAY too much power to Apple (or should I say, Apple's marketing department) when it comes to how they use their computers.

kslingo

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
It would take something special to get me to upgrade from Snow Leopard. 10.6 was the peak of OS X.

If Snow Leopard had iCloud, I will still be on there... So much faster than Mountain Lion on my MBA with only 2 gb of ram...

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Bring back Spaces and Expose, and get rid of all the junk Forstall put in there. Launchpad? Useless. Mission Control? Uggh...

I still have Snow Leopard running on my Mac Pro because it is still the best OS they put out. No need to funk it up with ML.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
I'm really not even looking forward to this at all. OSX announcements used to be exciting, but newer features like Launchpad and Mission Control do not add anything to my experience whatsoever. Even the under the hood improvements rarely seem particularly interesting anymore. I still get every new version, but that's mostly because I feel forced to for compatibility reasons.

Honestly, without a fundamental change to the way the computer works (something one might expect in an OSXI, not an 10.9), I don't even know what features I would like them to add anymore.

Oh, I do: ZFS

----------

Bring back Spaces and Expose, and get rid of all the junk Forstall put in there. Launchpad? Useless. Mission Control? Uggh...

I still have Snow Leopard running on my Mac Pro because it is still the best OS they put out. No need to funk it up with ML.

I actually like launchpad, never use mission control......

----------

If Snow Leopard had iCloud, I will still be on there... So much faster than Mountain Lion on my MBA with only 2 gb of ram...

2 GB of RAM...seriously?

.:Aleph:.

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
Well it hasn't been for years, that's why most people are fed up. Unless you think bolting on iOS inspired stuff for a desktop OS is brilliant.

It really hasn't been, I was slightly surprised to see almost everyone in that thread about its look very happy with it (the interface). Obviously, interface is just one part of an operating system.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Well it hasn't been for years, that's why most people are fed up. Unless you think bolting on iOS inspired stuff for a desktop OS is brilliant.
You are living in denial. Snow Leopard is only 3.5 years old. A typical time span in which Windows wouldn't have changed at all. And here you have Gatekeeper, Sandboxing, PowerNap and FileVault 2, to name only a few under the hood innovations no one ever talks about. Apple now even delivers incremental updates for third-party-software and keeps their data in sync via iCloud. People complain about iWork '09 hasn't been updated for years, when in fact the whole document model is new, not to mention document storage.

Everyone should reread John Siracusa's excellent reviews of Lion and Mountain Lion.
And if you still think, OSX isn't a platform of innovation anymore, you should go and buy a cheap PC.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK

Yeah, that's what nearly got me to upgrade but then I moved to an Android phone so iCloud didn't matter to me. SL restarts for me in about 15 seconds, it's great. Hopefully Apple can create another OS up to its standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.