Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
What would I like from 10.9?

Them to do a Leopard - Snow Leopard trick on Mountain Lion.

Optimise it, make it leaner and faster. "Zero new features."

I'm not over bothered about the iOSification as people put it.

As long as I can still access terminal and run any app from any source I choose then they can do that if they want.

I doubt they will pull a Windows 8 and completely merge the desktop and mobile OS into a new iOS now as they can see that it doesn't work. Windows 8 has proven that beyond doubt. It's a horrid mish mash of an OS.

Oh and Jony, now Scott has gone, lets have some modern, clean designs for Calendar, Notes and Contacts.

EDIT: ZFS isn't going to happen. It's also primarily a server file system. Apple won't pay Oracle for the licence. However there are suitable file systems used by Linux that are free and open source that Apple could use. They already did that with the KDE web browser to make WebKit.

Last edited:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Contrary to what a lot of people are trying to say, Apple has pretty much given up on Pro users.

The most they're probably going to give you is "Pro" hardware.

I don't believe this to be true. I think Apple believes in the concept of tablets being like cars and PC's being like trucks and that that reality will be realized over the next couple of years. Most people need web browsing, email, ecommerce, social networking and high quality digital consumption. Tablets are 1000% better at these things than full PC's...or at least they will be soon.

Those "average" users will convert over to tablets, and are already doing so en masse. As devices like the iPad become even more capable, users will switch even faster. Attention has been paid to this development so that it can happen as quickly as possible.

This is a good thing for Pros and power users. This means that the average full sized PC user will no longer be an incompetent consumer. Developers and manufacturers will no longer need to build things with those users in mind.

Apple at this point cannot abandon the "average" consumer when it comes to the Mac. There are too many who still use it, far more than there are Pros. This is changing though.

I can see iOS and OSX continuing to merge over the next 1-2 years. Eventually iPads will run OSX or a newly announced hybrid OS that will replace both. iPhone and iPod touch will be replaced by wearable devices.

OS XI will be more focused on pros and power users. They will be the only ones using PC's at that point. Making a PC operating system for "everyone" would make very little sense at that point.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I think good question is not what new Apple brings with 10.9, but will it be worth to upgrade from Snow Leopard ? Lion, nor Mountain Lion did not convinced me to make a switch.
I've tried, many times and gave both the chance once they appeared as public releases even with the latest updates but it's not as stable as SL currently is. Maybe it's little bit faster who knows, but I didnt really give a ***** about getting my Safari opened about 200ms faster than on SL while every day there's some bug/issue/problem/whatever that jumps on me in the middle of nowhere and forces me to get off from what I was doing to "fix" that before continuing...

Tom

Last edited:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I hope they add Siri. As much as I can't stand her, having the ability to ask a question and get an answer on my MBP like I do on my iPhone would be pretty cool.

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
What I would like to see:

-Better performance, especially with the rMBP

-Optimize the use of multiple monitors, I want to be able to change spaces per monitor. Like being able to watch a movie on the secondary monitor no matter on which space you are on the primary monitor. Give us some options Apple!

-Fix fullscreen mode when using multiple Monitors

-Give us the option to turn off the internal display of a Macbook while it is connected to an external display

-Improve launchpad, it takes way to long to rearrange everything. Like, putting stuff into folders is very frustrating, takes way to long.

-Fix the audio stutter issues

These are just a few thoughts. I wanna see a fine tuned ML!

Regrads

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Os x 10.9?

Anybody have a guess when 10.9 will come out? What features do you think it will have?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
are you for real?

If anyone knew for sure when it was coming out it would be all over the web already. Just relax and wait, also if the latest news is true about Apple moving devs from OSX 10.9 to iOS7 then it's probably still a long ways off.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
If anyone knew for sure when it was coming out it would be all over the web already. Just relax and wait, also if the latest news is true about Apple moving devs from OSX 10.9 to iOS7 then it's probably still a long ways off.

So we are expecting a June iPhone 5S?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I'd love a stripped down version built for speed and performance and when setting up give us the option to install any of every single app bundled (including siri, maps, passbook, photobooth, chess, etc etc). I'd like some UI tweaks, the dock is getting a bit old and better integration of notifications. I don't like the side bar for notifications. I think something that folded out of a certain position on the screen at user request would be nicer. Oh and trash widgets already, no one uses them. One of the first things I do when installing fresh is disable dashboard via terminal.

----------

I have a friend named Tim. he told me that tomorrow we should see 10.9.

I have a friend named Tim and he says no but my other friend Steve says not over my dead body

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Maps as they're trying to get away from Google, so bringing Maps to Mac would make sense, even if it is a pile of crap. Plus 3D view would look great on a bigger screen.

Siri would be really useful for, say, reading out emails while your working etc. One feature I'd really like to see.

You can already do that, and chose voices. Apple actually has downloadable voices now.

Also, don't touch my widgets! I love them, and really miss web clips too. Although, integrating them into notification center wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You can already do that, and chose voices. Apple actually has downloadable voices now.

Also, don't touch my widgets! I love them, and really miss web clips too. Although, integrating them into notification center wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I know, but saying 'Read my email' wouldn't even require you to open the Mail window.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I starting to feel in 10.9 we will have fingerprint (in place or with passwords) in Magic Track pads and laptop trackpads. I feel if it comes in the iPhone it will show in the next OS X update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.