Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithcobbett

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Hillsborough, NH
I have a G4 and I am attempting to connect to some servers on my company's Win2K network. The servers already have the AppleTalk protocol installed, but I cannot access them. Anybody know of any way to connect. I have already attempted the "networking instructions" from Apple's site, but no luck. It was difficult enough to have my company purchase me 1Gig of memory when I got it for $75, so Dave is not an option. I need to use Apple's technology for this. Any ideas??? Thanks.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Need to know a few things first...

Are you running OS 9 or OS X?

When you say you can't access the servers, do you mean you cannot see them when you browse, or you can see them but not connect?

Are you the only Mac user who cannot connect to the servers?

Is there a router on the network between your Mac and the servers?

benjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2002
Edmonton, AB
windows and osx

Using OSX it's simple. I haven't tried AppleTalk with Win2k, though using Netatalk on Linux, I had to upgrade to 1.5.1 to get AppleTalk from Linux fileservers to work with OSX because of some differences it has, that may affect it on the Win2K network, but it doesn't matter because OSX support Windows networking....

You can't browse yet without third-party software, but just type smb://name of computer/name of share....

for example, smb://computer3/public and if it can be seen it will pop open a window for username and password. I use it all the time and it works sweet. You can also put the ip address in if you want....

You can find more about this in the Knowledge Base at Apple, or ask me more if you want. The Knowledge Base wasn't responding when I wrote this or I would have got the link for you

keithcobbett

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Hillsborough, NH
I am using OS X and I have tried the smb://computer3/share and it did not work. I will go try again to make sure though. If this doesn't work, I will attemp the IP Address. Thanks for the help.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Go from the 'Go' menu to 'connect to server' then navigate your Appletalk network to find the server. Where I am, we have multiple zones, and servers in many of them. I just connected to a win2k advanced server under OS X (10.1.2). I was able to connect to that server even under 10.0.4.

The address of the server shows up in the following format:

afp:/at/servername:zone

If the server has the Mac shares and appletalk active, then it shouldn't be an issue. To me, this sounds more like a job for your network/server admin to fix.

Were you able to connect to the server under OS 9????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.