OS X and Philips 37" LCD ... how do I get my screen resolution right?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qtip919, Feb 23, 2006.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Ok, I just got a new Philips 37" LCD (and its just fantastic!)

Im trying to figure out how to connect my Powerbook to this thing...Ive been using my s-video out to play videos, but I cant seem to get the supported screen resolutions that the TV can actually do (1366x768) ... Instead, I seem to only be able to get 1024x768 (which looks very "streched")

Is there a way to get the higher resolution to show up?

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Which powerbook do you have? A 37" flatpanel is a large display to drive, and 1366x768 is a bit higher resolution for some video cards.

For instance, I'm typing from my parents Dell box with crappy intel chipset graphics. We're using an Olevia 26" flat panel LCD, and my max resolution
    is 1280x768. For some reason, it can't stretch those extra 86 pixels. Trust me, it doesn't look as good as I want it to. On the other hand, at work we had a 23" Samsung LCD tv, and using a Radeon XT card, we were able to get 1366x768 out of it.

Generally if under system preferences you can't get higher resolutions, that's it. I'm using 26" so I imagine unless you had a VERY high amount of VRAM, you're not going to drive a 37" with a high resolution.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Size has nothing to do with it, it's all about the resolution. Any PB with DVI should be able to drive an external 1366x768 display easily. Of course, the limiting factor in this case is probably the S-Video. See if you can hook it up via DVI (which might require another cable, and/or port on the TV)