Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
This is in response to Maxwell Stuart's question about having an OS X-esque GUI for OS 8 or 9.

I can't say I found this all myself.... a HUGE shoutout to imac600 over at http://68kmla.net for this!

You need Kaleidoscope from http://www.kaleidoscope.net/ and
the AquaX theme file from http://buryme34.tripod.com/kschemes.html

As for docks, in OS 8 you can use something like DragThing and in OS 9
you could probably use A-Dock. Just type DragThing or A-Dock in to
Google.

Works great, too I have found!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 160

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
You can also go the other way around and use an OS 8/9 (Classic Platinum) GUI for OS X.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
i use aqua III and aqua II and a edited iAqua in OS 9

here is a few screen shots

Desktop.jpg BeigeG3AIO.jpg

i like it it gives a diffrent feel when booted in OS 9 . Oh and BTW i also have power windows installed

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Those themes are so fake looking... they dont give me the feel of OS X at all. They give me the feelling of someone running OS 9 and trying to make it look like OS X in a half-hazard way.

Yuck.

Togglehead

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Jersey
this file is for download as a .bin file

how did you install it? nero wont burn a bin without a cue?

...or am i thinking to Windows based.....do Macs read bins?

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
yes, macs are the only computer(i think) that can read bins. You need Aladdin's Stuffit software... it un-stuffs the pacage file into a readable version.. think of .bin as a windows .zip file

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
dpaanlka said:
Those themes are so fake looking... they dont give me the feel of OS X at all. They give me the feelling of someone running OS 9 and trying to make it look like OS X in a half-hazard way.

Yuck.

well no one forces you to use them. and its just a diffrent look for OS 9 users that cant run OS X. i just use it cause i like the look of it. and this is my opinon. you have your's.

Togglehead

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Jersey
macEfan said:
yes, macs are the only computer(i think) that can read bins. You need Aladdin's Stuffit software... it un-stuffs the pacage file into a readable version.. think of .bin as a windows .zip file
yes they certainly do.....!!!

im a big fan of stylexp for windows themes too.....this just solved one of my issues with OS9.....THANKS!!! this is awesome!!!

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
ahunter3 said:
Well, me, because I detest Aqua.

The Classic Platinum GUI was the best computer-OS GUI of all time.

i need whatever it is that you're smoking

macEfan said:

not quite. hfs and hfs+ use data and resource forks to store information. depending on the program, data can be stored in either the "data" fork or "resource" fork. however, on filesystems that don't implement this, only the data in the "data" fork gets copied. thus the need for the mac binary format (.bin) which combines "data" and "resource" forks into one file. there is no compression as in the .zip file. the mac equivalent of .zip is actually .sit (stuff-it).

Togglehead

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Jersey
that makes sense to me......its kinda like a .rar file too....set to no compression....

something iso buster would read.....=]

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
madmax_2069 said:
well no one forces you to use them. and its just a diffrent look for OS 9 users that cant run OS X. i just use it cause i like the look of it. and this is my opinon. you have your's.

regardless of whether or not you like the look of it, you cant possibly tell me that looks realistic...

Nothing is worse than a wannabe - like people who put "M" logos on their BMW 318s.

If you had used any other theme, to make your OS 9 computeur look crazy and like something totally unique... thats cool. But trying to recreate OS X, and doing a very poor job at it... that's silly.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
dpaanlka said:
regardless of whether or not you like the look of it, you cant possibly tell me that looks realistic...

Nothing is worse than a wannabe - like people who put "M" logos on their BMW 318s.

If you had used any other theme, to make your OS 9 computeur look crazy and like something totally unique... thats cool. But trying to recreate OS X, and doing a very poor job at it... that's silly.

did i say it looks real no i dont think i did . i just like it cause i do. there some wild ones but i like this one here. i dont care if you think its a wanabe theme or not i like it cause i can. your point is well taken and the theme stay's on my OS 9.

its way better than the orignal stock OS 9 look. just because you dont like it dont mean other people have to do the same as you do you have your opinon and i have mine and other people has there's. oh and BTW i do have OS X 10.2.8 on my Beige.

Pierre Films

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2004
I agree that it looks fake. I tried to use it for a bit but it only made OS 7-9 feel (and look) terrible. If using Kaleidoscope I like the BeOS and the NeXTSTEP themes. They ,at least, are realistic. I also like the look of OS 7 so I often use that if I am in OS 9 or 8. Its simple. No borders, no extra anything.

Pierre Films

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
OS X. Classic Platinum. X-Assist for OS9-ish application switching menu + OtherMenu-ish app launcher. FruitMenu for customizable Apple Menu. Trash can on Desktop. Note complete absence of stupid %^#@ Dock. Note also absence of Teletubbies graphical motif and stoplight-colored buttons.

Attachments

• ClassicPlatinumOSX_ii.jpg
    ClassicPlatinumOSX_ii.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 299

Ratpack1961

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
madmax_2069 said:
did i say it looks real no i dont think i did . i just like it cause i do. there some wild ones but i like this one here. i dont care if you think its a wanabe theme or not i like it cause i can. your point is well taken and the theme stay's on my OS 9.

its way better than the orignal stock OS 9 look. just because you dont like it dont mean other people have to do the same as you do you have your opinon and i have mine and other people has there's. oh and BTW i do have OS X 10.2.8 on my Beige.

I agree completely. I've been using this theme for years as well as A Dock and I've been pretty happy with it. As for it not looking "realistic", it sure looked realistic enough for Apple to ban the theme from most of the internet. Im surprised its still around. Im curious if there is a way to duplicate the drop shadows found in OS X in OS 9. So far I've found no shareware program that could accomplish this. Maybe someone who is proficient with a skin editor can edit the Aqua X theme to have drop shadows and post it here
:)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Can't say I'd be interested in those Aqua themes. They're a bit too Jaguar-like for my Tiger conditioned eyes.

Like the OS9 theme for OSX though. That's cool :cool:

Ratpack1961

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
No the AquaX theme was specifically made to emulate the look of OS X in OS 9. Its a skin for an OS 9 program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.