Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
that's probably a silly question. OS X is a "next generation" operating system and honestly needs a lot of processing power, fast hard drives and RAM up the zazoo, though they all depend heavily on what your tasks are.

OS 9 is a real piece of work, somewhat like windows 95... it will be blazing on your ibook.

i use an overclocked dual usb ibook as my main computer with 576mB of ram. i wish it would take more ram, i wish it was faster and i wish the hard drive wasn't so lousy. but it gets the job done and is sufficient that i don't run out for a new machine just yet.

OS 9 will be faster. OS X will change your world. you decide =)

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
i've been running OS X on my dual for quite awhile. All in all it's good. Of course I jacked up the ram up to 640. I do, however, believe that OS 9 is faster on it.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
My wife runs OS X on her iBook SE. While I can tell that OS 9 is faster, I haven't had to recover lost data (usually from unsaved text on the notebook when OS 9 would crash) or do nearly as much troubleshooting and/or maintenance on it.

She doesn't believe the speed difference is noticeable.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.