Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yes. I have one.

Try exporting the base station configuration to your Desktop. Open it and see if your computer name is listed more then once in the configuration file. If it is see if the MAC address is different for both. If it is delete the entry, in the configuration file, that does not match the MAC address of your WiFi card that is shown in the System a Profile. Save the file and re-import it back to the base station.

The times that I have seen the rename issue is when the Airport base station thinks the same computer name with different MAC addresses is on the network at the same time. I have cause this to happen when I plugged my computer into the Ethernet and changed the selection order from WiFi being highest to Ethernet being the highest.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Try exporting the base station configuration to your Desktop. Open it and see if your computer name is listed more then once in the configuration file. If it is see if the MAC address is different for both. If it is delete the entry, in the configuration file, that does not match the MAC address of your WiFi card that is shown in the System a Profile. Save the file and re-import it back to the base station.

The times that I have seen the rename issue is when the Airport base station thinks the same computer name with different MAC addresses is on the network at the same time. I have cause this to happen when I plugged my computer into the Ethernet and changed the selection order from WiFi being highest to Ethernet being the highest.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Okay, so how do I go about exporting this? I find nothing in the Air Port Utility that seems to offer an export function.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Okay, so how do I go about exporting this? I find nothing in the Air Port Utility that seems to offer an export function.

It is up in the File menu, but will be greyed out until you select "Edit" for the device in Airport Utility.

iku2JOH.png

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
If I configure Energy Saver to "prevent computer from sleeping automatically..."(and uncheck all other menu items) — and instead manually use the Sleep command from the Apple menu, the Name (#) stops.

I haven't tried enabling the other Energy Saver items yet.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If I configure Energy Saver to "prevent computer from sleeping automatically..."(and uncheck all other menu items) — and instead manually use the Sleep command from the Apple menu, the Name (#) stops.

I haven't tried enabling the other Energy Saver items yet.

Yeah, that doesn't work for me.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Can you tell me more about this utility? Sounds useful.

Use it to check health, size, mount or unmount. That kind of thing :eek:

This is caused by your computer seeing a ghost of itself on your network. You can make it stop by turning off Wake for Network Access in the Energy Saver pref pane. Once off, rename your machine to finish.

Seriously... I've found this first answer to be most correct though all the betas and releases. I have Apple Airport both 5GHz and 2.4GHz in multiple locations. I've restarted everything, but the only consistent fix is turning off "Wake on network access". Which is no great loss really, never worked over WAN anyway which is where I really need it.

Last edited:

ad2medina

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Beta 10.10.4 fixes renaming issue?

I been running Mac OS 10.10.4 beta 3dev/2 public beta since it came out and since I have not had the renaming (#) issue on any of my devices

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Use it to check health, size, mount or unmount. That kind of thing :eek:

Seriously... I've found this first answer to be most correct though all the betas and releases. I have Apple Airport both 5GHz and 2.4GHz in multiple locations. I've restarted everything, but the only consistent fix is turning off "Wake on network access". Which is no great loss really, never worked over WAN anyway which is where I really need it.

WAN is probably the most ridiculous failure from Apple. It has not worked reliably since 10.6. Yosemite? Forget it. Might as well leave everything on and waste electric, while Apple is busy making itself look golden with their PR Environmental announcements. :rolleyes:

beej69

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
Puerto Rico

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I've experienced this issue, but it somehow disappeared. Interestingly, my iMac is on Mountain Lion! Furthermore, my new iPhone 5S did this too...

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
some people seem to be having less trouble with these annoying naming conflicts (and other name-related issues) by reverting to mDNSResponder, the old pre-Yosemite service that handled this stuff.

see http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-you-can-do-to-fix-it

i just wish that Apple's bug tracker weren't such a heaping pile of **** that end users could actually hope to get issues like this fixed.

Just saw this on twitter, so help may be on the way:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/26/apple...omplaints-about-network-issues-with-yosemite/

screen-shot-2015-05-26-at-3-56-16-pm.jpeg

After many complaints from the developer community about poor networking performance on Yosemite, the latest beta of OS X 10.10.4 has dropped the discoveryd in favor of the old process used by previous versions of Mac operating system. This should address many of the network stability issues introduced with Yosemite and its new networking stack.

The discoveryd process has been subject to much criticism in recent months as it causes users to regularly drop WiFi access and causes network shares to list many times over, due to bugs. Many developers, such as Craig Hockenberry, have complained about the buggy software and workarounds have been found to include substituting the older system (called mDNSResponder) back into Yosemite.

discoveryd would cause random crashes, duplicate names on the network and many other WiFi-relate bugs. In the latest beta, Apple appears to have applied the same fix as the enthusiasts by axing discoveryd completely.

Looking at Activity Monitor on OS X 10.10 seed 4, discoveryd is no longer loaded by the system — instead relying on mDNSResponder. The ‘new’ process is really the one Apple used to use pre-Yosemite and did not have these problems.

It is still unclear why the change in the networking stack was ever made given that the old process worked so well and the new process had so many issues. There has been some speculation that the new stack is related to AirDrop and Handoff functionality although testing showed that these features still worked when the system was reverted back to the old process.

Regardless, it will please many to see that Apple has finally addressed these complaints, even if it embarrassingly involves going back to the old system rather than fixing the new code. OS X 10.10.4 will be released to the public in the coming months.

Apple is focusing on performance and stability for iOS 9 and OS X 10.11, so it will be interesting to see whether discoveryd makes a comeback in Apple’s next-generation operating system.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
So are you saying those facilities don't work or are they causing you to get naming errors? hostname (2)

Still causing other users naming duplication or (2) (3). Seed people have posted this information. This update looks to be a quick patch. It's not completely fixed.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Make sure to restart your whole net, a single device with a buggy discoveryd can corrupt the dns cache of the whole network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.