Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kermee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Varennes, Québec, Canada
I wonder if anyone has noticed this up to now. I only happen to catch this during the last OS X update 2013 003. I happened to be staring at the screen as my machine installed the update and displayed the linen background. I was focusing to a point beyond the screen and realized that the linen background is in fact a stereogram. Kind of neat. Not useful by any means but cool to look at. I immediately changed my desktop background to the linen background to confirm and sure enough, it's a stereogram. When you stare at it just right, you see it pop out just like the well known stereogram pictures. I googled it and saw no reference to this anywhere. Just though I'd ask if anyone had noticed this already and if anyone could confirm. Just a side note however, the linen background displayed during the update is lighter than the one you can set as a desktop background. I found the lighter one to be easier to see than the darker one.:eek:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Which version of OS X did you discover this on? You can find what version you have by going to the Apple menu and choosing About This Mac. Clicking the text at the bottom cycles between the version, the build number, and your Mac's serial number.

Kermee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Varennes, Québec, Canada
OS X linen background

I have OS X 10.8.4 build 12E55 but I think it's probably in all versions that use the linen background. I think the stereogram effect is happening because the linen background file is a 256 x 256 pixel file and when it is used, the pattern is repeated to fill the screen. This repetition is what causes the effect when you happen to focus your eyes just right. It's a cool effect but I doubt that it was on purpose on the part of :apple:. I think it just happened that way. Now that I've seen it though I can't stop looking at the screen to get the 3D effect :cool:. There goes my productivity now.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have OS X 10.8.4 build 12E55 but I think it's probably in all versions that use the linen background. I think the stereogram effect is happening because the linen background file is a 256 x 256 pixel file and when it is used, the pattern is repeated to fill the screen. This repetition is what causes the effect when you happen to focus your eyes just right. It's a cool effect but I doubt that it was on purpose on the part of :apple:. I think it just happened that way. Now that I've seen it though I can't stop looking at the screen to get the 3D effect :cool:. There goes my productivity now.
Very cool! Never noticed that before. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.