Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

virtu.jpg

For the first time, Apple is allowing owners of OS X (client version) to run multiple virtual copies on the same machine. Previously, Apple extended this ability to Mac OS X Server only. Running separate instances of Mac OS X should be possible under virtualization solutions such as VMware Fusion and Parallels. This functionality allows you to deploy different sandboxed installations of OS X, typically for enterprise purposes. As reported in 2007, Apple first extended this capability in Mac OS X Server 10.5:
[The 2007 Mac OS X 10.5 Server EULA] permits OS X Server to run in a virtual machine (VM) as long as each VM is stocked with a different license and the physical system is Apple-made. The new rules don't apply to the client edition of Apple's operating system, which is still barred from being virtualized.
The Golden Master version of OS X Lion (10.7) just released to developers includes the final end-user licensing agreement (EULA) which reveals that users can run up to two additional instances of OS X Lion on their same machine without a need for extra licenses. From the 10.7 EULA:
(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software.
The shift in policy likely reflects the blurred distinction between OS X Server and OS X Client starting with Lion. OS X Server will be sold as an App Store add-on pack for OS X Lion.

Article Link: OS X Lion Allows Running Multiple Copies on the Same Machine (Virtualization)

Last edited by a moderator:

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sweet, vmware workstation hack and I'll be happy!

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I hope this opens the door to virtualizing OS X when running under a Boot Camped Windows.

B

I would be really happy if I could do that. I would be able to run church programs (such as EasyWorship) in Boot Camp then still have access to Mac.. and then if you could use virtualization to your current mac partition.. that would be cool too.. but I doubt it.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I would be really happy if I could do that. I would be able to run church programs (such as EasyWorship) in Boot Camp then still have access to Mac..

Sounds like you should be using Parallels or Fusion, not Boot Camp.

--Eric

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I would be really happy if I could do that. I would be able to run church programs (such as EasyWorship) in Boot Camp then still have access to Mac.. and then if you could use virtualization to your current mac partition.. that would be cool too.. but I doubt it.

I don't understand why they just wont make a Mac version of EasyWorship. It feels like every time I am at church they have to reboot their computers due to that app.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
I don't understand why they just wont make a Mac version of EasyWorship. It feels like every time I am at church they have to reboot their computers due to that app.

All it takes is prayer and faith like every advance and gift in our lives. If we all close our eyes and think it, then the lines of codes will cometh together.

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
But can we run virtualized 10.6, so that we have backward compatibility for old apps.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Can some one please tell me the point/use of this feature:confused: (I probably sound very blond asking this)

- you can try software without impacting your main installation
- you can try different config without impacting your main installation
- nice for software development to have an independent virtual system you can restore by copying just the image with the VM

for many casual user its not needed and only fancy; not sure if I will use it regularly but for sure will give it a try.

grantwood

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Lion + Snow Leopard?

If you are running Lion Client, does the EULA allow you to virtualize Snow Leopard Client, or just Lion Client/Server?

peterson40

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Why in the world would you still be using EasyWorship when you have a mac and can run ProPresenter?

YoGramMamma

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
Can some one please tell me the point/use of this feature:confused: (I probably sound very blond asking this)

I can't think of a whole lot of reasons, but I can think of a few. One of which is the ability to run programs that don't upgrade their support for new OSes very quickly. Like protools. Everyone I know who uses protools on a regular basis has to wait months, sometimes upwards of 6 months before digidesign updates the protools app to work perfectly in a new os. This goes for minor dot releases too. So if you do other work on your computer than use that one app (or if apple provides a fix for some driver that affects your machine and would fix an issue), you're stuck with the old until the one app you need finally gets updated. Now, users could run lion, and install snow leopard in a VM and run their apps which don't work on lion yet and get all the new features of lion and still have their apps work.

Also for developers to check their software on different osx variations without having to have multiple boot drives or multiple computers.

James Enright

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
- you can try software without impacting your main installation
- you can try different config without impacting your main installation
- nice for software development to have an independent virtual system you can restore by copying just the image with the VM

for many casual user its not needed and only fancy; not sure if I will use it regularly but for sure will give it a try.

Thanks for that, I didn't realize it would be a mainly developer thing.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If you are running Lion Client, does the EULA allow you to virtualize Snow Leopard Client, or just Lion Client/Server?

I have the same question, also for previous Mac OS X versions?
Rosetta being also one of the main usages for this.

Can VirtualBox be used also?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
But can we run virtualized 10.6, so that we have backward compatibility for old apps.

Exactly. Since they are pushing Rosetta off to the side, this would enable people to run PowerPC applications like Quicken 2007.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003

Exactly. If this were the case, we could actually update to lion at my workplace. If not, we will be stuck at snow leopard for the foreseeable future.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
This seems like it continues to erode the importance of Mac OS X as time goes on as iOS becomes more important to Apple's bottom line. It seems like it's just a commodity piece of software now. I can see Windows users virtualizing OS X, essentially removing the core of what it means to "have a Mac." At least with a Hackintosh, you really worked hard to get the OS to work on non-Apple hardware. Now it seems to easy. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.