Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Good to see Apple is getting ready for retina displays.. But don't think it'll be happening anytime soon..

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
So having 50 different files for one image is better than one vector file? Yes a tiny bitmap may be smaller in filesize to the same vector file but try scaling them and what happens?

We are talking about increasing resolutions which means larger and larger bitmaps are needed. Eventually you will reach a size where the 'tiny' bitmaps are no longer tiny and you still have 50 of them.

What do you mean you have 50 of them? I don't get what you're saying here.

Regarding file sizes, my challenge remains. If anyone can recreate one of Apple's traffic light window controls in Illustrator and output a file that is smaller in size than the equivalent bitmap at twice the current dimensions (anything bigger would be pointless), I'll take back every word I've said on the topic!

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Actually, this made me think right away of my mom, who uses a much-lower-than-native resolution on her Mac (something like 1024x540 on a 19" monitor!) because that's the only way she can read most of the screen's contents. Now if we just had the money to switch out her six-and-a-half-year-old PowerBook G4 for something Lion will actually run on...

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
Why? I bet they are all drawn in Illustrator and not Photoshop. It's actually easier to create them as vectors. How you implement them is different and harder one would imagine but surely Apple can manage it.

They are likely done in Photoshop using vector masks. This way you have pixel-level accuracy but still have the ability to adjust vectors. Illustrator is pretty terrible when it comes to pixel-level accuracy.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
because it's hard to make all graphics into vectors?

arn

What's hard about that ? Sierra games used to be all made of vector graphics (the PIC format) back in the 80s... :

Conquests%20of%20Camelot_2.png

Yes, that's a bunch of "Line from X to Y, fill with color ZZ".

Vector graphic based UIs are probably where we should be heading. KDE/Gnome have supported SVG for a icon format since the late 90s. That is true resolution independence and something that should be worked on, not just double sized bitmaps.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
So having 50 different files for one image is better than one vector file?

Yes. Loading a bitmap into texture memory based on a context is far faster than loading a vector and then rendering it out to the correct size in real-time. Perhaps this will be a negligible performance hit in 10 years, but right now, 50 bitmaps vs 1 vector that needs to be re-rendered is always going to be better.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
I'm a pixel counting snob but I'm unconvinced this is required

I'll preface my statement by saying I was wrong about how dramatic the difference the retina display makes in iPhones. In hate 3gs's now, and love the 4. Given the screen proximity of my iPad, it could do with doubled (really 4x the total count) pixels, although I think it would be less dramaticly better than the iPhone.

I have a 27" iMac running a 30" and at roughly 2.8' away, I really think the improvement would be a diminishing return, hardly noticeable. I haven't crunched the DPI:average viewing distance numbers, but I think for normal computing (ie. graphics/photo editing not withstanding) it's not worth the GPU strain.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What's hard about that ? Sierra games used to be all made of vector graphics (the PIC format) back in the 80s... :

Vector graphic based UIs are probably where we should be heading. KDE/Gnome have supported SVG for a icon format since the late 90s. That is true resolution independence and something that should be worked on, not just double sized bitmaps.

But we're not talking just about UI stuff. We're talking about all graphics, including photorealistic stuff.

arn

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
What do you mean you have 50 of them? I don't get what you're saying here.

Regarding file sizes, my challenge remains. If anyone can recreate one of Apple's traffic light window controls in Illustrator and output a file that is smaller in size than the equivalent bitmap at twice the current dimensions (anything bigger would be pointless), I'll take back every word I've said on the topic!

You are missing my point!

As I understand it for each resolution there is a certain sized red traffic light right? So say there are 10 different resolutions that means 10 different bitmaps for the red traffic light. With a vector you only need one file which in file-size is less than the combined amount of bitmaps.

I know a tiny bitmap will be smaller in filesize than a vector. I do know how they work!

Its the backend stuff I dont fully understand which I said earlier and so proposed why not use vectors? I'm merely asking questions to better understand the reason why they are not using vectors. I'm not here to accept stupid challenges!

Yes. Loading a bitmap into texture memory based on a context is far faster than loading a vector and then rendering it out to the correct size in real-time. Perhaps this will be a negligible performance hit in 10 years, but right now, 50 bitmaps vs 1 vector that needs to be re-rendered is always going to be better.

Yeh, I dont think we are 'there' yet, I was just asking the question. As it seems the logical thing to do.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA

Yes, that's a bunch of "Line from X to Y, fill with color ZZ".

It's a lot easier when you've got 2-bit (4 color), 4-bit (16 color) or 8-bit (256 color) color values. When you're talking about 24-bit (millions) color values it's an entirely different animal. Just that simple aspect has implications across RAM, CPU Cache, GPU memory, the memory bus, etc.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
They've got pixel-based icons filling up my dock right now, and every one of them can scale from 3 inches tall to .2 inches tall on my mac and still retain its visual identity and clarity.

That's because Apple uses a couple of different size icons. They just have 1 big bitmap that they scale. See icon composer and an actual icon file. See attached screenshot for an example of how it works.

But we're not talking just about UI stuff. We're talking about all graphics, including photorealistic stuff.

arn

What photo realistic UI elements exactly ? All I see are icons and controls in my UI, I don't quite see this "photo realistic" stuff...

It's a lot easier when you've got 2-bit (4 color), 4-bit (16 color) or 8-bit (256 color) color values. When you're talking about 24-bit (millions) color values it's an entirely different animal. Just that simple aspect has implications across RAM, CPU Cache, GPU memory, the memory bus, etc.

Bitmaps also use 24 bits of color (32 bits if you count the alpha channel), I don't quite follow your logic... Heck, bitmaps require 32 bits of data per pixel in RGBA format, whereas with patterns and fills in vector graphics, you can do with much less.

Also, using a SVGZ, a compressed XML format, you can reduce those graphics down quite a bit...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-25 at 10.29.37 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-25 at 10.29.37 AM.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 120

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
are you saying that i will not have a new monitor to upgrade in near future from my dell 30 inch monitor.

it is so sad news.

i thought when osx lion have 3200x2000 desktop picture, apple will sure produce a new monitor, i guess i am wrong.

i am so sad. I have to live with my 30 inch dell for many years to come. what a tragedy.

theosib

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
No more complaints about dead pixels!

While adding more pixels increases the likelihood that any one of them might malfunction, it also makes malfunctioning pixels much harder to see. My iPhone 3G has a dead pixel, but I never noticed until I tried different colors on a flashlight app and noticed that one of the red sub pixels was missing. When I upgrade to the iPhone 5, it'll be impossible for me to tell without a microscope. One of my biggest pet peeves is dead pixels, but when they're this small, I won't be able to notice. (Especially since I'll be well over 40 by the time we see retinal monitors on Macs.) Yay for my OCD! :)

jessea

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Cincinnati
This thread is hilarious...

Everything in vector? I'm guessing anybody who suggests that doesn't have much design or development experience.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What photo realistic UI elements exactly ? All I see are icons and controls in my UI, I don't quite see this "photo realistic" stuff...

Why are you limiting this to UI? It's everything that displays on your computer.

arn

Attachments

• plants_vs_zombies_3.jpg
    plants_vs_zombies_3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 119

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This thread is hilarious...

Everything in vector? I'm guessing anybody who suggests that doesn't have much design or development experience.

So, maybe you'd care to enlighten us ? Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the 80s and 90s, back when vector graphics were a possibility. Now that we have much more powerful CPUs and GPUs, it seems that vector graphics have become way too hard to handle... :rolleyes:

Why are you limiting this to UI? It's everything that displays on your computer.

arn

Only stuff that's required to scale. IE : the UI.

And games have been using vector graphics since the 80s and 90s, at least, games made with a little known technology called Flash. Or the above Sierra game, Conquest of Camelot ;) In fact, isn't that screenshot from a game that uses vector graphics ? (Plants vs Zombies ?).

Obviously, not all UI elements are needed to scale. The desktop wallpaper can remain a bitmap image, but things like icons, buttons, fonts and all UI controls would need to be scaled.

Think man, think.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
If vectors are so simple, why is no one doing it? Reasonable answer is that it isn't that simple to have everything be vectors. It also doesn't deal with legacy software.

If HiDPI can actually work decently for legacy software to give it big high res fonts, while only upscaling some interface elements that are bitmaps then it may be enough to jump-start high DPI monitors.

I expect a 27" 3840x2160 166 dpi iMac within 18 months. Using the 166 dpi 27" panel LG is already talking about(third from left)
lgsid2011-1l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We've had the ability to do everything in vector for a long time. If it was a good idea, we wouldn't use bitmaps in programs. Its not like Apple is falling behind here, no one does it. Displaying everything as a vector would be way too taxing on our computers and would result in a non-pixel perfect product. And that's why nobody does it. End of story.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If vectors are so simple, why is no one doing it?

We've had the ability to do everything in vector for a long time. If it was a good idea, we wouldn't use bitmaps in programs. Its not like Apple is falling behind here, no one does it.

Guys... might want to remove that foot from your mouths :

http://www.svgopen.org/2008/papers/104-SVG_in_KDE/

Read. Learn. Again, the open source world isn't afraid of going that extra mile.

To use a theoretical 300dpi monitor, everything will have to scale.

arn

Nope. Only the stuff that needs to scale dynamically. Static images can remain bitmap based graphics with just more pixels. And even some vector based static images might make sense. I know KDE supports SVG for a wallpaper format.

I have presented quite a few examples of why vector graphics make sense, and of their use. What is your proof that vector graphics are too hard ? The fact that "no one" uses them ? Well, except for those that do use them it seems.

The plain fact is, for a commercial entity like Apple, it's just cheaper to use bigger and bigger bitmap images. Why try to innovate and reinvent the wheel ?

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
Bitmaps also use 24 bits of color (32 bits if you count the alpha channel), I don't quite follow your logic... Heck, bitmaps require 32 bits of data per pixel in RGBA format, whereas with patterns and fills in vector graphics, you can do with much less.

Also, using a SVGZ, a compressed XML format, you can reduce those graphics down quite a bit...

You do understand that vectors don't exist as vectors once they are rendered right? They become bitmaps and exist in texture memory? At some point you have to convert the mathematical construct into pixels. Doing this in real-time vs loading the exact bitmap is where the performance issues are. Especially when you have very complex renderings with lots of layers. Just look at Adobe Flash, basic vectors no problems, complex illustrations, lots of problems.

The reason why Sierra chose to do their games that way (at least through King's Quest 4) is because of a lack of storage space. In Kings Quest 5, they switched to EGA-based bitmaps/sprites.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Nope. Only the stuff that needs to scale dynamically. Static images can remain bitmap based graphics with just more pixels. And even some vector based static images might make sense. I know KDE supports SVG for a wallpaper format.

Huh? I think your definition of "scale" is different than mine.

bitmap graphics using more pixels is pretty much my definition of scaling something larger.

arn

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
And games have been using vector graphics since the 80s and 90s, at least, games made with a little known technology called Flash. Or the above Sierra game, Conquest of Camelot ;) In fact, isn't that screenshot from a game that uses vector graphics ? (Plants vs Zombies ?).

Have you ever heard your CPU fans go into overdrive when you open a Flash page? There are reasons for that.

Also the SCIV games were 16 colors and were obviously vector. By the time they moved on to VGA graphics they no longer used vectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.