Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
The much more serious, albeit temporary, problem is this: Mail deleted all my drafts. That probably doesn't mean much to most people, but I had some stuff in there that's worth restoring my previous system to recover. Why on Earth would they do such a thing? I checked Library; it's still saved even RSS stuff, which hasn't been accessible since I think Snow Leopard, yet it deletes my Drafts folder!?
Same for me, I also had used Drafts for notes before I started using iOS.
I will look into this with Apple. They should respect their customer's data!

EDIT:
This has to be iOS7 issue. My Drafts were deleted before I had ever opened Mail in Maverick. I also don't save imap passwords to the mac.

EDIT2:
Seems to be only iOS7's Mail app's problem. It won't see old Drafts. Real imap folder still have everything intact.

Last edited:

NickPires

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
You do professional work and don't have a backup drive???

Let me remind you of a simple fact.

There are 2 types of hard drive.

1. Those that have failed.

2. Those that have yet to fail.

Before you even consider upgrading GO AND BUY A DRIVE. Preferably 2 and use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner

I'm sorry if that sounds pushy, but were your HD to fail just before an important deadline, you would be completely screwed. With a clone backup, you can boot from it. You may have lost some work but you're good to go.

Anyway CS5 is fine with Mavericks

I know, I'm in a constant state of slight paranoia because I know these things aren't indestructible, I've just been playing with fire and testing my fate I guess haha. I have been looking into external drives lately, I just don't know which direction to choose. And no worries my friend, you don't sound pushy, I'm aware of my necessities than I lack. But good to know it works on Mavericks! Thanks!

Schruffy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Montreal
Maverick upgrade

I must always be at the end of the line , can't upgrade to Maverick since I mave a MacBook 2007 with enough mem for it but it is not listed in Apple's requirements... Why?

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
As an update, I downloaded Mavericks and found that Adobe cs5 works fine but with a new JavaScript patch that's required. I think Java Runtime?

Everything is all good except that I could not open Corel Painter 9.5 and Poser 5 because they are legacy PowerPC applications. These two were the only ones that didn't work out and requires an new app upgrade.

All in all, the newest OS X is running very well and I'm considering adding more RAM in the future to make sure things run seamlessly. I may invest in an external hard drive from WD or Space Monkey. Time Capsule is another option.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
W00t?!
You can't let Keychain not to save passwords in Apple Mail 7?

Only way for me to remember those passwords, are typing them from time to time.
Otherway I can't access those mailboxes from other computers or devices.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Anybody else notice their external displays being much brighter after this update? My external Dell and ACD look much better after installing Mavericks.

hyhybt

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Same for me, I also had used Drafts for notes before I started using iOS.
I will look into this with Apple. They should respect their customer's data!

EDIT:
This has to be iOS7 issue. My Drafts were deleted before I had ever opened Mail in Maverick. I also don't save imap passwords to the mac.

EDIT2:
Seems to be only iOS7's Mail app's problem. It won't see old Drafts. Real imap folder still have everything intact.

Mine has nothing to do with iOS. I keep the box to store drafts on the server unchecked because of the large size of some of them. They were stored only on my hard drive, and of course in Time Machine. And they vanished either during Mavericks installation or, far more likely, during the "importing messages" nonsense that Mail goes through the first time it's launched.

zonesey

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Finland
I think it is worth the price.

edit: Btw, the boot time on my 2009 MBP with 256 OCZ Vector SSD decreased from 45 seconds to 22 seconds, which is amamamamazing!

Drewski

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else
First thing I noticed isn't a big deal: the old version of Airport Utility has a big "no" symbol on it, meaning if anything goes wrong I cannot fix my WDS network. (Any good reason they don't allow stringing three in a row with the current kind? As in, where the outside connection is *not* at the center?)

Have you checked for software updates? My Airport Utility is available for use.

The much more serious, albeit temporary, problem is this: Mail deleted all my drafts. That probably doesn't mean much to most people, but I had some stuff in there that's worth restoring my previous system to recover. Why on Earth would they do such a thing? I checked Library; it's still saved even RSS stuff, which hasn't been accessible since I think Snow Leopard, yet it deletes my Drafts folder!?

Strange - another discrepant quirk. My email drafts were all still there after the update, along with the 25000ish other emails on the HD. I've seen quite a few posts detailing bugs that some folks have and some don't. Knock on wood, my system survived the update intact and everything works. FWIW, this was on a 2011 27" 2.7 i5 iMac running 10.6.8.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
I did a UPGRADE and it seems to be running slow.
I repaired permissions and reset RAM with no luck.
Might have to do a fresh install soon.

hyhybt

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Have you checked for software updates? My Airport Utility is available for use.
Mine is too. The problem is that the ability to control WDS networks was removed a while back. Apple insists that you may *only* use a hub-and-spoke arrangement, and I need the internet connected at one end of a three-Airport series, not at the middle. So I dug up the previous version, named it "working Airport Utility," and all was well until now. Actually, all is still well until something goes wrong, and even then, I have usable installations of Leopard through Mountain Lion tucked away.

Strange - another discrepant quirk. My email drafts were all still there after the update, along with the 25000ish other emails on the HD. I've seen quite a few posts detailing bugs that some folks have and some don't. Knock on wood, my system survived the update intact and everything works. FWIW, this was on a 2011 27" 2.7 i5 iMac running 10.6.8.
...and after installing Mountain Lion on an empty volume, reloading my old system onto it, and forwarding some things to myself, I come back to Mavericks to find that it didn't delete them at all. They just no longer show up under MAILBOXES>Drafts, as they did before. They're only available in the ON MY MAC section, which appears empty until you click a "show" button that isn't even visible. But all's there, and all's well.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Silly question since I’ve never updated a Mac Operating system but… will I lose any of my files or any installed software?:eek:

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Silly question since I’ve never updated a Mac Operating system but… will I lose any of my files or any installed software?:eek:

No. Installation is a straight-forward process (2-3 clicks).

However, it's always good to keep a backup, just to be safe.

cambo

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Downloaded and installed Maverick's - OS X 10.9 (13A603) - roughly 2.5 hours

First impression - cleaner look, some new stuff I don't want. Time Machine going crazy in the background.

No iWork or iLife upgrades available for me (legacy user) at this point, so those are all acting as before.

PROBLEM: Safari - hangs, stalls, doesn't open, and noticeably slower than before. I'll assume an update is in the works, currently switched to Chrome which seems fine.

CAMbo

27" iMac 2.93 Core i7 4 Gb RAM

UPDATE: Safari now working properly - my problem was GLIMS needed an update :eek:

rshoff

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
I LOVE this update. It feels cohesive, responsive, and complete! While retaining much of the Mt Lion feel. It has been a long time since I liked an OS update this much. My iPad and iPhone love it too! Apple gets my praise on this one. If only the Apple Services Division (my name for their piss-poor iCloud and iTunes services) were so diligent.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
That has happened since Chrome 30 (and it seems 31 has the same problem), not related to Mavericks.

Try to get Chrome 29 (I had to get it from a backup I had because I didn't find any on the internet).

----------

On topic:

I'm anxious to install it!

I'll do a fresh install but will wait one or two weeks to see the reaction of the first-installers (if there are a lot of bugs, etc) and also to have a quicker download speed, I don't want a full day download.

I'm quite surprised that this issue still exists with Chrome because someone on Google Forums reported that: "Heads up. The issue seems to be gone with mavericks "

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=132336

So maybe only a clean install of Mavericks may solve this issue? Has anyone done a clean install and noticed the 30 second sleep delay go away? Would love to hear from you.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
OS X Mavericks: Upgrading from GM Seed to Golden Seed

You can't upgrade directly from GM Seed to the new Golden Master (13A603). You would still need to download it.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Anyone updating their Early 2011 2GHZ I7 MBP? can you let this forum know if you notice any decrease in performance?

I have the same Mac. Performance was unchanged under normal loads and improved under heavy loads for me. The new memory management really makes a difference under load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.