Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
Unless I'm mistaken, nothing would prevent a non-appstore app from reading the content of the address book directly without using Apple's APIs and thus going around this dialog box pretty easily.

So this protection would only be useful if you activate the more restrictive "Run Mac app store apps only" setting in Gatekeeper.

If what you are saying is correct, Apple would hopefully invalidate any developer signatures for those applications which are found to be maliciously accessing the address book. At least this would lessen the problem.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Come on people, your acting the worlds ending when you dont know what it does, what triggers it or anything. More than likely this is at the end of an install. Kind of like "this app was downloaded from the Internet". So quit all your whining and put big boy pants on and wait till someone with the dp can pipe in one whether this is a one time deal (1st time using the app) or every time which I highly highly doubt.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

goodcow said:
Looks like the Windows permission windows have now invaded OSX.

Exactly my thoughts. Cancel or allow?

I'd say Cancel.. But Apple said Allow :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'd say Cancel.. But Apple said Allow :(

If a user presses "Cancel", the total result is the same as if they had never asked for an action to be performed. As an example, if the user asked to print a 100 page document, and changes their mind after three pages are printed, then "Cancel" is incorrect because three pages have been printed.

In this case, "Don't Allow" is correct, because it stops access to the address book now and in the future. So the whole sequence of events did have an overall effect, making "Cancel" incorrect.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Part of the reason I like OSX is that it's not constantly asking me for permission to do things, something which windows does constantly.
I have just switched from windows to Lion and I would say Lion asks more. Maybe not Vista but XP and seven yes.

I'm tired of the fanboys bashing windows or Mac OS. Just live with your choice and be happy. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.