Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

It's time for the Apple Faithful to accept this reality.

Once a closed eco system, it's about to be locked down permanently :eek:

As they love to say. It's about the experience... One that's the mirror image of Big Brother as dictated by Apple.

Decades after their famous commercial & "in your face" anti-big brother stance, Apples control has usurped all others. Apple is now Big Brother.

Steve's Won All The Marbles & Owns the Playground as Well.

Even if it's from the beyond.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
People who agree with Apple on this are the same people who agree with the Patriot Act or SOPA.

We ALL knew this was coming but we also ALL know where it will end.

Apple is the new Microsoft, except worse. Their product are overpriced but the quality is lower (a new Macbook will only last 2 years now), they are not innovating anymore (iPhone 4S, iPad 3...) and they are even dumbing down their products (Moutain Lion which doesn't bring anything new or better but rather less and limited), they are bullying everyone, from dying company like Kodak to all opponents, they are making a consumer electronics market and education market of the rich vs. the poor (in a near future, rich kids will all have the same iPad or Macbook Air while other will struggle or be outcaste) etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not at all. This shows that Apple is committed to security and keeping malware off their systems in spite of the level of tech prowess (including utter lack of) that their users have.

Only on this board can 'they're concerned about security' be use as a slur.

Ok then. You don't like that. I'm optimistic.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Come on now. This isn't a bad thing. It's great for the casual computer user who has no idea what they're doing. You wouldn't believe the amount of idiots I had to help uninstall that stupid malware bug that went around posing as a virus protection software.

We can shut it off no problem. I doubt we'll ever see the day that OS X will need to be jailbroken to run other apps, though. That's counter culture to desktop computing.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Classic is gone.
I don't know too many people who want to run OS 6 - OS 9 apps any more, either.
Rosetta is gone.
How many PPC Macs are still in operation? Yes, I personally have two, but they're relegated to limited use like a DVR and novel-writing purposes.

Unsigned apps are just one more legacy technology.

I seem to notice how even Windows alerts to unsigned apps and expired certificates. Unsigned apps aren't a technology unto themselves, they are merely apps which the developer has chosen not to take ownership in the event of a problem -- such as security.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Oh dear, oh dear. I wish some of you would seriously think a second. If we didn't have the range of ability of humans to use a computer and everyone (noob to geek), this sort of feature would never exist.

The pesermists here will tell you it's Apple locking you down. Well, I personally think you're wrong. It's a pretty simple concept to protect the most vulnerable of your customers coming into the Apple store because they installed a bad application. User experience will go up for the majority with the feature, and as it's switchable to run anything; why moan?

The day Mac OS X turns into iOS, will be the legitimate day to complain and stop buying Mac products.

Anyone who says the Mac OS X app store is a bad idea needs to spun around in a chair or 5 minutes. Seriously, why complain at simplicity? :rolleyes:

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
People who agree with Apple on this are the same people who agree with the Patriot Act or SOPA.

We ALL knew this was coming but we also ALL know where it will end.

Apple is the new Microsoft, except worse. Their product are overpriced but the quality is lower (a new Macbook will only last 2 years now), they are not innovating anymore (iPhone 4S, iPad 3...) and they are even dumbing down their products (Moutain Lion which doesn't bring anything new or better but rather less and limited), they are bullying everyone, from dying company like Kodak to all opponents, they are making a consumer electronics market and education market of the rich vs. the poor (in a near future, rich kids will all have the same iPad or Macbook Air while other will struggle or be outcaste) etc...

Be a rationalizing bvtch (dangerous people like masson wanabe spazzcat) or dumb latecomer fanboys...but there's a time to sit back and see what is now, the obvious truth about what Apple has become.

Welcome to schizophrenic club, you know, people that see things that actually aren't there.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I knew this thread was going to be full of "the end of the world is nigh" posts. In its current state, I love this feature.

Ever removing the "anywhere" option will cause—without question—a mass exodus of developers and platforms are historically only as alive as their development community. If the App Store were to ever become the ONLY distribution method, the whole idea of being a UNIX-based OS would be a joke. Too many devs use tools like MacPorts and Homebrew or just compile their own stuff from source.

Mind you, this is anything but the majority, but developers are and will always be the most powerful minority on any platform.

scamsung

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011

Hahaha this the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

But nice try at manipulation, I can see how your mind works "put two things people really hate and then claim if you agree with Apple they also like this"

I hear they use that trick a lot in North Korea.

Next up, "OMG Apple gatekeeper kills kittens"

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Classic is gone. Rosetta is gone.

Unsigned apps are just one more legacy technology.

AND? They have clearly said that you can get a certificate just by asking for one. The only rule you have to agree to is if you attach that certificate to something nasty like malware it will be blacklisted. Otherwise have at it.

so what reason is there not to get a certificate.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
This default I would imagine would lead most developers to strickly offer apps on the MAS and not bother with outside the MAS

I remember how when the iphone app store came out and people would laugh at the notion that such a thing would ever come up for the mac line and flat out said it would be horrible to have a walled garden on the mac....then it happened and this is just slowly incrementing towards it entirely

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I got worried reading this, but as long as there's an option to disable this I'm fine with it. However the day they start limiting apps to Apple Approved Digitally Signed applications only... is the day I sell off my Apple products. ...

You are right about that. The computer would be useless to me if it were locked down like that. We will have a carefully watch Apple for signs they are going that way.

BTW you would not have to sell your Apple equipment. Linux runs well on Apple computers and the hardware would still be first rate. And I doubt you COULD sell your Apple products after Apple did that, who'd be buyiing?

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
It's time for the Apple Faithful to accept this reality.

Once a closed eco system, it's about to be locked down permanently :eek:

Hold on, isn't a closed eco system a locked down eco system anyway? Same thing, different words. :rolleyes:

Microsoft have locked companies/customers down for years with stupid licensing schemes. Shame they didn't innovate when they had a majority of the market and release central app systems that could download software without you having to walk down to the shop or other such user experience enhancements.

Psssssht. :p

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
This system is designed to avoid that problem. They're not approving apps up front, they're only killing harmful ones.

Big, BIG difference. No restrictions on nudity or gambling or 'taste.' Those are all iOS restrictions they COULD have added in here an yet aren't. That's a great sign.

Apple had the ability to kill harmful iOS apps after they're sold too, and I don't think they've done that a single time since the app store started. That's a pretty strong track record.

I think we're in agreement about the intention (preventing malware), which is certainly a good one. While 'only' requiring code-signing is better than requiring App Store approval, I think it's a false choice. The vast majority of Mac users have fared just fine running unsigned code for the past decade. At the moment, I just don't think that getting marginally-improved security is worth the cost of Apple having a kill switch over a large swath of a Mac software company's revenue.

As for "they're only killing harmful apps", disabling signed-but-not-approved apps is new territory for Apple so we don't know how they will implement this policy. However, given that Apple has made more than a few controversial App Store decisions, and since Apple may eventually be dealing with making judgement calls on a much greater quantity of signed-but-not-approved apps compared to App Store submissions, I would guess that it's only a matter of time before Apple runs into some murky territory about what is and isn't allowed.

Whether this becomes an issue or not all depends on what Apple's definition of 'malware' will be. Will the definition only include code that does things like deleting files or installing a botnet client? What about code that, through the use of private APIs, has the potential to corrupt files? What about code that obfuscates its operation for privacy reasons, but could potentially be used for nefarious purposes (anything from TrueCrypt to BitTorrent could apply here)?

I agree that having the option to run unsigned code allays many of these concerns for now. It's just easy to get a little concerned when one looks at the trajectory (unsigned code > sandboxing required for App Store apps > APIs only available to App Store apps > signed code required for default operation, etc.)

Last edited:

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
And how long will it be before Apple starts checking for apps the government doesn't want you to have?

Slippery slope fallacy detected.

It is stupid whenever this fallacy is used. For example, does it make much sense to say that if same sex marriage is allowed, what is to stop us form recognizing the union of man and box turtle?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Well we all knew this was coming. After Mountain Lion we'll have to jailbreak to run apps from outside the App Store.

That's the day I reach for Bill's outstretched, and loving arms, joyfully embracing Windows X. That will be the day when I spend $2k on a computer made in China and will be told what I can run on it. I love my Mac(s), but I will never be scared to "brick" my Mac.... LOL that sounds funny just saying that. But if that ever did come to pass, I'll be the first to say Steve, it was nice playing with you, RIP, but I'm out.

Furi0usBee

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I remember how when the iphone app store came out and people would laugh at the notion that such a thing would ever come up for the mac line and flat out said it would be horrible to have a walled garden on the mac....then it happened and this is just slowly incrementing towards it entirely

It worked because apps were cheap - 99c for an excellent product.

Mac App store prices are same as retail... there's no incentive for me to purchase online when I can buy a sharable copy on physical media.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
That's the day I reach for Bill's outstretched, and loving arms, joyfully embracing Windows X. That will be the day when I spend $2k on a computer made in China and will be told what I can run on it. I love my Mac(s), but I will never be scared to "brick" my Mac.... LOL that sounds funny just saying that. But if that ever did come to pass, I'll be the first to say Steve, it was nice playing with you, RIP, but I'm out.

Furi0usBee

If it stays as it is now you dont have to care dude, just switch to "Anywhere" and install whatever you want..

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Don't rule out Windows 8 yet. Windows 7 is a solid OS, and MS could potentially build a worthwhile update in 8. And, really, what are they doing that is different than Apple? They have their computer-based OS (Windows) and are slowly adding their phone OS into it the bridge the systems. Saying "Good luck with Windows 8" is like saying "Good luck with OS X 10.8".

That was my point. This is the future, you either adapt or get left behind.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
I think Apple is signaling at least me that it's time to start exploring other options. Sound like the walled garden is coming to mac. It matters verylittle that it's a toggle that you need to move the point of putting it there is control. It's been fun :mad:

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line and the man come take you away"

(Buffalo Springfield, "For What It's Worth")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.