Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBurd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
The Beautiful Berkshires
Here's one that's really got me stumped:

Through an eBay auction, I purchased a copy of Norton SystemWorks 1.0 for Mac. The eBay seller stated that, even though this version was not made for OS X, it could be used with OS X if you booted up from the SystemWorks CD. Now, the SystemWorks CD readme file instructs you, after you boot up from the CD, to go to the "Mac OS X Public Beta Drive", open the Mac OS 9 folder, launch the System Disk control panel, choose the drive containing the Mac OS X Public Beta, then restart.

I can't find anything called the "Mac OS X Beta Drive"!!!! I've even clicked on Mac help and tried to find it that way. No dice!!!!

What in the world is this? I've never been this confused with any Mac OS. (I'm not blaming it on the OS, however. I'm blaming it on the Norton instructions and my stupidity for thinking that I got a great deal on a version of SystemWorks that I could use with OS X.)

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this situation?

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i hope that you did not pay too much for that software, as most people will tell you that you should keep anything norton as far as possible from your osx disk (it can do bad things to your drive). that being said, you probably recieved some early version of systemworks that was produced at a time when osx was still in beta(i dont think they made a carbon version until 10.1 was released and i was one of the ones unfortunate enough to beta test it). before the user version of osx was commercially available, apple released a free public beta of the os that you could download and install on your computer. that is probably what norton is assuming that you have. i believe that the norton boot disk runs off os9 but is "supposed" to repair osx disks, hence the lack of true osx support. my advice would be not to run it on your computer, not because it's an os9 program, but because it's norton. (i've heard only good things about diskwarrior for solving osx drive issues and it is still os9 only)

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Not to be nit picky, but the beta of OSX was not free, rather $29.95.

I just got a new copy of NSW 2.0 for OS9&X and its great for OS 9 so far.

So yes, you got hosed. Sorry:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.