Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCGamer11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2003
Any suggestions on a beginner OS X programming program/language to try? Cuz I want to get into it.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
There is always Apple's XCode to use as a programming tool. If you go with Java there is Eclipse (i think thats the name of the popular Java programming tool), or jGRASP which I prefer. The premiere coding language for OSX is Objective C.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I wouldn't recommend XCode since it is much too complicated for a beginner and completely unnecessary. I would recommend beginning with C++ or Java using just a text editor (SubEthaEdit with syntax highlighting is good) and a compiler from Developer Tools.

I like Java better than C++ but since Apple is going with Objective-C with OS X, some varient of C might be the best to learn if you're going to be programming primarily for Mac.

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
You haven't said what your experience is, but starting with PHP or a scripting language might be good for you. You can do a lot in PHP, and it's cross-platform. The O'Reilly book 'Programming PHP' contains a lot of really good beginner's information, even explaining the object-orientated model.

There's also AppleScript, which can be a real time-saver if you get into it. It's not really programming, rather scripting, but a lot of the concepts are the same. That said, I'd still advise the Programming PHP book as an introduction, because it's really hard to find a 'real programming' book which will explain the basics well.

Using PHP or AppleScript you'll get results much quicker, that's for sure.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
PHP is a nice start

Colonel Panik said:
You haven't said what your experience is, but starting with PHP or a scripting language might be good for you...

PHP is not much use for programming Mac apps, but its a good skillset to start making the odd dollar from coding, plus its a C derived language so the syntax is similar to Java/Objective C/C/C++ for coding Mac apps and its quite similar to C# in case you want to move across to <blasphemy>.NET</blasphemy>

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
mvc said:
...its quite similar to C# in case you want to move across to <blasphemy>.NET</blasphemy>
oh psshhhh :p
C# isnt that great of a first language to start with.
C is nice but a little challenging, great intro if you're planning on learning Obj-C though.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
SilentPanda said:
I enjoy playing around with METAL. It's fairly easy I think...
METAL is a dialect of BASIC. If you are going to program in BASIC, then you might want to try REALbasic. REALbasic allows you to port M$ VisualBASIC applications to the Mac. It allows you to develop applications for MacOS 9, MacOS X, Windows, and Java. If you want to develop applications in BASIC, then you might also try FutureBASIC, a most mature environment which goes back more than a decade when it was known as Z-BASIC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.