Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abbakatte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Hi,

Newbie and first post here. Apologies in advance if my question is stupid, but I'm totally lost. Just bought a Mac Mini server, never used OSX Server before. Version is 10.6.

This Mini Server is a replacement for my regular Mini, which served as an audio workstation. It would boot, log in as a user, then start up the 3 audio software I needed automatically.

Now I have no idea how this can be achieved with OSX Server, and if it's even a good idea to use it as such or if I should revert to Client. I bought the server for the 2 HDs instead of 1. Also I thought I would have more control over the services running, so the system would be as "lean" as possible -- that would free more CPU power to my music software.

Is it possible to do this?:

a. have the computer boot, log in as a pre-defined user, then launch the software automatically?

b. do all of the above without a monitor attached?

If so, what are the services I need to enable/run? (The less, the better)

Again, I'm basically using it as a client, don't really need any of the server features. If you think doing that is not a good idea, feel free to express your opinion.

Thanks,

Abba

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You should use OS X client.

a. set it up:
Log in automatically (this is default so you shouldn't need to change it), and set your software to "Open at login" (takes a few seconds)

b. no monitor? Use Apple remote desktop, but you need to set it up first. You can target disk mode another mac to turn on the option.

abbakatte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks!

I'll try implementing what you described and will post back results.

Abba

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.