Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I am on a Mac Pro and noticed that the "setupprebindin" (or whatever that task is called), is running in PPC mode?!!? Why on earth hasnt that been updated to Intel like almost all of the other processes. Seems strange.

On another note, I wondered why Adobe Reader is so slow: It's also still PPC. Sheesh...

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yeah, PPC apps are the worst for Intel Macs. I tried running Final Cut Pro on my Macbook Pro (the PPC version of FCP), and it was literally a slideshow.

Gotta get FCP 5.1 from work to put on this sucker. :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Why on earth hasnt that been updated to Intel like almost all of the other processes. Seems strange.
With each revision, more of the OS is ported over. At first, the key parts and processes were done. Leopard should take care of most of what is left would think. In the meantime, what isn't Intel code runs under emulation.

That is why Apple was so quick at moving from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. FWIW, the same type of transition was done during the move from the 68 chip sets to the PPC chip sets.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
On another note, I wondered why Adobe Reader is so slow: It's also still PPC. Sheesh...

That's not the reason. Try this: Find "Preview" in the application folder, Get Info, turn "Open using Rosetta" on so that it runs as a PowerPC application. It is not quite as fast as before, but it is still fast.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Get the latest version. Adobe Reader 8 is available for some time, and it's Universal.

I am using V8. It still runs in Rosetta. Are you sure it is a UB yet? I can't find any indication of that anywhere. All it says at the Adobe site is that it works under Intel, really. Which it does. But I always wondered why it is much slower on my Mac Pro than my old 2.6Ghz P4...

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
With each revision, more of the OS is ported over. At first, the key parts and processes were done.
This doesn't make sense, since they've had OS X running on x86 all along. Not that it's not a huge job switching everything to Intel, but hmm. Well maybe they didn't have 100% of OS X built for Intel since it wasn't public.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Preview opens PDFs way faster than Adobe Reader doesn't it? What exactly is the point of Adobe Reader on a Mac anymore? Does it have some other very important features?

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Preview opens PDFs way faster than Adobe Reader doesn't it? What exactly is the point of Adobe Reader on a Mac anymore? Does it have some other very important features?

Not much :D

To be fair, I was sent some PDFs of proof to look over and they did not open correctly in Preview - so I had to haul out Acrobat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.