OS X Targeted 'OpenEmu' to Deliver Native Mac Interface to Console Emulators

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

There are few great emulator options for OS X, but that is set to change in the near future as multi-source system emulator OpenEmu prepares for an official launch.
    OpenEmu, which has been in beta for quite some time, is able to emulate the hardware of several different consoles. Version 1.0 of the software will include support for several 16-bit systems, including the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, NeoGeo Pocket, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo, among others.

Support for additional systems like the Nintendo 64, the Nintendo DS, and the Sony PlayStation will be added in the future.

[​IMG]
    The emulator features a slick iTunes-style design, displaying downloaded ROMs in a menu organized by system. Designed from the ground up for OS X, it offers up a native OS X interface.

With full save state support, the software allows for multiple ROMs to be played at once and it also provides OpenGL scaling, multithreaded playback, and gamepad support.

At this point in time the team behind OpenEmu is working on polishing the app and adding final artwork, but the release is "close."

[​IMG]
    OpenEmu was previously available as a beta download and the beta version of the application can still be acquired by downloading and compiling the source code via Xcode. A full set of instructions is available here.

Article Link: OS X Targeted 'OpenEmu' to Deliver Native Mac Interface to Console Emulators

2. macrumors 6502a

wow would love to see the original Mario on NES ROMs in a legit easy to use marketplace.

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Good thing I can download 3rd party applications on my Mac without "jailbreaking"! :)

5. macrumors 6502

UnfetteredMind

OMG! Road Rash for Sega Genesis would be awesome. Been a loooooooong time since I've flown around corners in the air at over 100mph while beating someone else with a club!

6. macrumors regular

Cannot wait for the PS support, been looking for a good mac emulator for a while now....

7. macrumors 603

jrswizzle

This looks absolutely awesome....hopefully just in time for my 2013 13" Haswell-MBA ;)

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 65816

slffl

WoW! This looks amazing! This will have a great home on my old mac mini.

10. macrumors 6502

This looks awesome! Are there adaptors/drivers for using actual console controllers instead of the keyboard?

11. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

That is pretty cool. Don't have much time for that these days, but playing Mario Kart on my laptop was how I chugged through some of the more boring classes in college.

Would be nice to have this available to play some Mario Kart or Super Mario again down the road.

12. macrumors newbie

Will this allow me to play Pokemon red and blue at the same time, with linkage, allowing me to collect all 150 without cheat codes? Cause I'd pay for that...

13. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

14. macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

15. macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I hope they open source it and merge it with other projects like Dolphin.

16. macrumors 601

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Not to be a downer but wouldn't old games coded for SD television either look native in a small window (720 x 525 or less) or show a fair amount of pixelation/jaggies scaled up to- say- an iMac (full) screen? I don't think at least some of those old consoles were using much vector back then; I though bit map graphics was most of THE way back in those days.

Nevertheless, sentimental joys could be upon us again.

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors regular

Sadly, no… For that, you need Windows… And "TGB Dual"…

20. macrumors newbie

Is there a way to get notified when it launches?

21. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I just bought this Xbox 360 controller wireless receiver and use it with those drivers and everything works perfectly with my rMBP and Mountain Lion. I've been using Snes9X and Dolphin so far.

22. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Give me my sharp jagged pixels on as large a display as possible. I love it! Any attempt to "smooth" them will be met with as much animosity as I can muster for 3:45 on a Tuesday! Garrrrrhhhhh!

23. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Looking forward to this too. I wonder how controller input will be. I have some great emulators on PC where I can use real controllers through usb links. Hopefully I can use real controllers through usb links on this mac program too.

24. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

PCSX seems to work for the most part pretty good. Seems to always crash when you reset or want to load up another game.

25. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Much less. Original NES games were designed at 256x254.