Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
This isn't a big deal but it's a little annoying coming from, "The World's Most Advanced Operating System". Sometimes when I put something in the trash, the icon doesn't show that anything is in there.
Sometimes when I don't have anything in the trash, the icon will show that something is in the trash. I open it and there's nothing. Weird.
Anybody else have that happen?
I'm using 10.1.5 by the way. I haven't upgraded and I don't think I will until 10.5 comes out. The latest just doesn't seem all that must-have.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>This isn't a big deal but it's a little annoying coming from, "The World's Most Advanced Operating System". Sometimes when I put something in the trash, the icon doesn't show that anything is in there.

Are you ejecting a disk or disk image? If so, the disk should be ejected. Disk images that pop up from .dmg files act the same way, but no extra hardware (CDs, CD trays, etc.) move around.

>Sometimes when I don't have anything in the trash, the icon will show that something is in the trash. I open it and there's nothing.

That has happened to me several times with 10.1.5. I think this has to do with the lack of Finder refreshing. What this means is that (with Finder refreshing active) when you download a document (.pdf help files, of course :)) the icon for the file being downloaded to your computer appears on the desktop (or wherever it is directed to be saved) when the application you have in front isn't the Finder. My point is that possibly the Trash doesn't always refresh the same way, meaning no Finder refreshing. I'm not completely sure on this, but it's a possibility.

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
Just happens with regular files. Normal as can be everyday stuff. You have a interesting theory. Probably right. Maybe Quartz Extreme takes care of the problem. Any 10.2 users seeing this?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: OS X trash icon

Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
I haven't upgraded and I don't think I will until 10.5 comes out. The latest just doesn't seem all that must-have.
Are you kidding? :eek:
X.2 w/ QE kicks a$$, it's a MASSIVE improvement over X.1 and well worth the cost.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
yep, finder latency.... it can also happen for the disk space free count, which still doesn't update regularly enough on jaguar. apple still has a lot of stuff to do...mostly little things but little things that should have been done by now. I prolly would've waited for 10.5 too if I would've seen that there are only a handful of features that I would really use...if you don't use the iApps a lot, $130 for jag is a rip off. especially for somebody like me who paid for the completely unuseable 10.0.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.