Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Heres my situation. I need to use a OS 9.2.2 system as a temporary file server untill I get a low end machine that can run OS X server. Any way, I want my 10.3 machines to see the OS 9.2.2 machine so I can store files on there.

Heres my problem. I set up a share and now none of the 10.3 computers can see it. I am not used to OS 9, never used it before, so I am not sure if I am missing anything. Also, the OS 9 machine, a G3 iMac, will not connecet to the internet. I have a netgear router, and the iMac is getting a correct IP address, but IE will not connect, niether will mail. could this be releated to the other issue. I know I have appletalk turned on, so now Im stumped.

oh yeah, I can not see the printers using apple talk.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

I applogize for the horrid grammer, but its late, and I need coffiee.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
okay, the Internet issue is resolved. I screwed up the DNS settings. But appletalk still does not seem to be working. Any Ideas?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
joetronic said:
Heres my situation. I need to use a OS 9.2.2 system as a temporary file server untill I get a low end machine that can run OS X server. Any way, I want my 10.3 machines to see the OS 9.2.2 machine so I can store files on there.
I set up a share and now none of the 10.3 computers can see it. I am not used to OS 9, never used it before, so I am not sure if I am missing anything. I know I have appletalk turned on, so now Im stumped.
oh yeah, I can not see the printers using apple talk.

If your OS 9 machine cannot see AppleTalk printers, then AppleTalk ain't working. Gotta fix that first.

Go to the OS9 machine's AppleTalk Control Panel and make sure it is set to "Built-in Ethernet" and not "Printer Port". Make sure AirPort is turned off if there is one. Make sure all the appropriate Control Panels and Preferences are turned on in Extensions Manager. Restart.

If it is still no go, throw out the Preferences for Ethernet and Network (can't remember what they're all called, but look in System Folder: Preferences) and restart.

Make sure you turn on AppleTalk on the G5's in Network System Preference

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Thanks. It was the Extensions Manager, and I think it might have been faoulty wiring on my part too. I really need to learn this older system if Im gonna be messing with it like this. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.