Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Railheaddesign reported that Premiere Developers received an seed of Mac OS X 10.2:

This latest seed sports drastic Finder revisions and major “tune-ups” in performance, sorting, auto-scrolling, spring-loaded folder action, contextual menu handling — and the new print foundation (CUPS) is also being thoroughly pushed, jammed, and slammed into place by developers.

As well, an anonymous source informs us that Mac OS X 10.1.4 should be released by the first of next week. If not the end of the week.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Sounds exciting:)
his latest seed sports drastic Finder revisions and major “tune-ups” in performance, sorting, auto-scrolling, spring-loaded folder action, contextual menu handling —

hehe, can't wait. Sounds good if 10.1.4 comes out next week as well.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Yeh!

Is that how you write yae (with an a sound like in the letter 'a') rather than yeah (like the a in bag)? I never know how to do that.

Anyway...I'm really excited about 10.2. I haven't been this excited about an upgrade since 10.1. I hope Apple has done some serious tuning of its core API's for GUI stuff. They have been just a little sluggish.

I'm hoping. Hopping? No hoping.

Matthew

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
Sounds good to me. However with everything that seems to be included it doesn't sound like a downloadable update (atleast to us dial up folks). I sure hope Apple has plenty of update disks in place. I know when v10.1 came out it was dicey for awhile until supply met demand.

And no I can't get ANY type of broadband so don't ask:D

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
By 10.2, they should include more drivers

I hope, 10.2 will have more printer/scanner drivers. Apple should convince the peripheral maker to release Mac OS X version of drivers. Apart from that, Mac OS X is the best OS in the market. ( I have a couple of old printers/scanners, if 10.2 doesnt include any dirvers for them, the only option is to sell it in ebay and buy new ones)

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
crawdad62, I don't know what sort of dial-up service you've got -- but I've got an unlimited 56K connection and I use Download Wizard (OS X, get it from versiontracker) to get all the updates and other big files. I've downloaded Maya PLE, Lineage and loads of MP3s on my humble dial-up connection... just get a good download manager and you'll be fine.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
iGetter

I'm not familiar with download programs. How is iGetter (or another app) better than your typical browse's download manager? Would it make sense for me who has cable modem to get iGetter?

Please inform me...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think that iGetter is supposed to act as a Napster or Limewire application. You can access certain files you wouldn't be able to achieve on the internet from your regular browser. But I wouldn't always trust the stuff. Sometimes, when I download a large file under dial-up using Limewire the download suddenly gets cut off and stifles. Also, many of these client applications use Java and cost money, especially iGetter. Limewire I use for free, but you can pay just $8.50 to register instead of the $25 iGetter costs.

Usually, when I download a large file off the internet not using any of the client software titles it works fine. You would normally use iGetter or Limewire for other things, such as mp3s, or pictures of new cars, or whatever.

Question: In "limewire connection problems" Arn posted that for downloading movies use mldonkey. Where can I find that website? (Arn also posted that Audiogalaxy was useful for mp3s.)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
no igetter is a download manager
It has contexual menus in your browser
just click and hold on the link or thing you want to DL and the select DL with igetter then igetter launches and you start the DL
you can queue files and save them for whenever you want to download it

its not like limewire its a DL manger for your browser

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
iGetter

One bonus, maybe not so much for a cable user, but for us humble dial-up users, is that option to pause downloads in iGetter. This allows us to obtain much larger files.

Oh, and on a side note, wasn't the original topic about 10.2 and 10.1.4?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: OS X Updates... (10.2, 10.1.4)

Originally posted by arn
Railheaddesign reported that Premiere Developers received an seed of Mac OS X 10.2:

As well, an anonymous source informs us that Mac OS X 10.1.4 should be released by the first of next week. If not the end of the week.

Very interesting. If this is true, putting a release of OS X before WWDC might get us OS X.2 in May.

Could the drastic finder upgades be the window zooming. I'd imagine it would be much more than that.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
10.2 in may not likely

If they are just exposing developers to it (and likely seeding them with it) there isn't much chance that you'll see 10.2 for a few months after as developers test their programs and optimize for it.

Add to this that JDK1.4 is FINALLY supposed to rear its head and according to rumor will be bundled in 10.2 and I see this thing shipping at MWNY at the earliest.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
For a normal cable user I would * not * recommend installing any download managers.. especially igetter because igetter destroys the file associations for downloading in IE so that if you don't like it, and try to remove it, the browser will constantly hound you, "what do you want me to do with this download"? And every time you have to go in and tell it to use Stuffit to undo .zips, .tars, .tgzs, etc.. it really screwed up my iMac. I can say the exception where I would install it (because I would have less reason to want to remove it) is in a dialup situation (because it really does work and majorly helps for unpredictable or slow connections). I would also install it on campus or corporate networks if the networks are suffering from low bandwidth connection to the net or where bandwidth policing software shuts connections down if they exceed time limits (long downloads would get hit by this on some networks that are slow).

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
J763 I got no problems downloading but a 56k is a 56k no matter how you slice it. I too downloaded Mya but what was it? 120-130Mb's? The last udate weighed in at 600Mb+. My ISP doesn't limit downloads or anything but I would assume one that large would take the better part of a day a WHOLE day and I'd just rather put in a disk and go. Even for a nominal fee. How's that saying go? Oh yeah, time is money.:p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: "Show Me the G5!"

Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Dukestreet.. love the G5 avatar..

Thanks:D Soon I'll change it to something a with a little less motion. I'm pretty much pushing the envelope on the size constraint - 25 frames of animation and it still is smooth at 20k.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Download Managers

There are two download managers which I use:

- Download Wizard (Freeware, OS X Only)
- HeftyFTP (Shareware, OS X and OS 9)

Download Wizard is FASTER than HeftyFTP and iGetter... The only downside is that (in this version at least) when you quit the application, it dosen't remember what you've been downloading whereas HeftyFTP does. For Example, if you're downloading OS 10.1.3 and get half way through and then have to shut down your computer for whatever reason -- Download Wizard is not for you, use HeftyFTP instead... If you're like me, however who'd get half way through then put my mac to sleep with Download Wizard still open -- use Download Wizard!

So why use a download manager instead of IE, NS's or Moz's Download engine?

A couple of reasons -- Download Wizard, for instance opens up "multiplile streams". That is, it slices up a download into multiplile parts and connects to the server as a different user to avoid bandwidth limits... If you didn't understand that -- don't worry, it goes FASTER!

I personally hate iGetter because a) it's Carbon, not Cocoa (the interface is slower) b) it nags for registration c) it's not such a great download manager...

Check out download wizard here.

...And crawdad62, just queue downloads for overnight!

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by iH8Quark
maybe "yey!!!!!"

Okay, very good. That's it.

Yey!!! :D

I looked it up once and evidently 'yeah' can be pronounced with the letter 'a' sound. It never looks right though.

Does anyone have any predictions about what the Finder enhancements will be? (Assuming its above and beyond the minimized window thing and spring-loaded folders)

A new view? Better window size/position/view memory? More OS 9-like capabilities? More toolbar custimization?

Matthew

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Order of "operations"

#1. FASTER... remove all legacy/Carbon code where speed can be optimized by replacing with Cocoa code.

#2. REFINE... remove bugs, make all features consistent (scroll-wheel ability in ALL windows including file requester dialogs in applications, not just Finder)

#3. OPTIONS... make more options to down exotic aqua functions and other niceties for the poor g3 users.. more options for power management (at least OS 9 equivalent)... Option to install Mozilla or Omniweb instead of IE.. etc.. (let's keep Bill on his toes to keep MS Office for Mac by threatening IE).

Last priority: Totally new features.. Lets get all the existing ones right first! 10.2 should focus on getting everything that exists perfected and maximized in terms of speed, stability, and usability.. focus should be on making everything consistent and consistently easy for both users and applications developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.