Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gek-Mac

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
My Small Town has been hit hard by this

Windows & Mac have both been hit hard by this ******** malware scam. Don't techies have anything better to do then create PANIC for the Elderly. They should focus their talents on making Linux THRIVE!!!!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
You have absolutely, positively NO IDEA what you're talking about and it is blatantly clear you have never created a website in your life.

Or perhaps your too ingrained in Javascript to look at alternatives, like many of the sites that still stubbornly use only ActiveX components or Flash that are completely unusable on iPads/iPhones nowadays, i really want Java to go the same way as a web component, 90% of the issues i see with PCs in my day to day dealings are caused by either malicious Java script being used to create fake messages that installs crapware, or worse still IMO, sites with badly coded Java script that slow machines to a crawl, or pop-under 80 windows with adverts on them.

Of course this wouldn't be a rant if the people i deal with didn't visit these bloody dodgy sites in work time, on work hardware to begin with .

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Or perhaps your too ingrained in Javascript to look at alternatives, like many of the sites that still stubbornly use only ActiveX components or Flash that are completely unusable on iPads/iPhones nowadays, i really want Java to go the same way as a web component, 90% of the issues i see with PCs in my day to day dealings are caused by either malicious Java script being used to create fake messages that installs crapware, or worse still IMO, sites with badly coded Java script that slow machines to a crawl, or pop-under 80 windows with adverts on them.

Of course this wouldn't be a rant if the people i deal with didn't visit these bloody dodgy sites in work time, on work hardware to begin with .

This posts right here confirms you have no idea what you are saying.

First of all you constantly interchange Java and Javascript, which are completely different things. I won't bother explaining Java since you clearly will not understand but its more important I explain Javascript.

Every website on the planet uses at least some Javascript. Javascript is a fundamental part of website design. It is no no way comparable to Java.

Your comment that HTML5 will 'replace' javascript makes absolutely no sense.

HTML is a markup language. It defines content.
Javascript is a scripting language. It defines behavior.

They have entirely different purposes. Without JS, HTML5 is a useless mess of tags. (What good is canvas without JS?). Heck, even Craigslist uses JS.

This is about as simple I can make this explanation. Here, to give you an idea of how fundamental JS is - turn it off in your browser. I am sure you can manage to Google the directions for your browser. Then browse the internet as you would for a day and observe how broken many things are.

Your comment about JS being used for ads is also incredibly naive. The ads themselves are coded in html. What do you have to say about that? Your comment makes no sense either. Javscript by design cannot access your computer outside your browser. If it is able to do so, then it does so via a browser exploit.

TL;DR - Javascript is going nowhere for the foreseeable future. You have no idea what you're talking about.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
People who fall for these scams never 'deserve' it. The majority that do get scammed, are most often the vulnerable. Such as young adults who start life overly fearful of authority, the elderly and mentally impaired etc, who may be overwhelmed or confused by the seemingly official demands for payment. A scam is a scam, when did we start blaming victims?

People who use computers should also use "common sense" if it still exists. If people are not aware of the basics of web pages and what seems legit or fake, they simply should not have a computer as they are just going to cause themselves grief, and may have to pay someone to resolve it. If they fail to understand the basics, they should not own a computer. With any of these fake sites, there is info which is very obvious that looks dodgy. The victims are suffering their own fate, because of their lack of knowledge, or gullible or both. Therefore the responsibility is there's alone.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
People who use computers should also use "common sense" if it still exists. If people are not aware of the basics of web pages and what seems legit or fake, they simply should not have a computer as they are just going to cause themselves grief, and may have to pay someone to resolve it. If they fail to understand the basics, they should not own a computer. With any of these fake sites, there is info which is very obvious that looks dodgy. The victims are suffering their own fate, because of their lack of knowledge, or gullible or both. Therefore the responsibility is there's alone.

That's a pretty ignorant declaration. Say's much more about you, than the people you are labelling.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
This is exactly why I don't like (and will turn off) the "re-open all previously open windows" feature. Even accidental Javascript errors can result in endless windows, and errors like that are much easier to clear by quitting and restarting.

The re-open ll previously open windows does not cause malware . Some thing download and got installed on his computer.

Never click okay or install when going to web sites .

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
That's a pretty ignorant declaration. Say's much more about you, than the people you are labelling.

They are the "ignorant" one's who get caught because they don't check information, make assumptions, and maybe even gullible, and fall straight in the trap, then have the hide to ask people to help them. Their lack of common sense, observation and using a keen eye to pick dodgy info is their own responsibility. Prevention is better than cure. People have to learn from their mistakes, just like those people who fall for fake bank emails and people have been told for years that Banks do not email their customers, so therefore those who keep doing this deserve to lose. Hopefully they might learn after the first time, if not well they can keep getting hurt.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
They are the "ignorant" one's who get caught because they don't check information, make assumptions, and maybe even gullible, and fall straight in the trap, then have the hide to ask people to help them. Their lack of common sense, observation and using a keen eye to pick dodgy info is their own responsibility. Prevention is better than cure. People have to learn from their mistakes, just like those people who fall for fake bank emails and people have been told for years that Banks do not email their customers, so therefore those who keep doing this deserve to lose. Hopefully they might learn after the first time, if not well they can keep getting hurt.

Sure...., whatever you say :rolleyes:

Vilhelm

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
How to remove FBI moenypak virus on Mac OS

Ways to resolve the issue

1. Let’s start with a cumbersome one. You need to close Safari window with the fabricated message as many as 150 times. Efficiency of this method can be explained by the fact that the JavaScript powering the FBI MoneyPak virus on Mac OS X is coded to render 150 iFrames.

2. The most effective technique is to reset Safari. Go to “Safari” menu in the top left-hand corner of the browser, and in the drop-down list select “Reset Safari…”. Then make sure all items have check marks next to them, and hit “Reset”. An obvious downside of this method is that your whole browsing history, webpage preview images, Downloads list, saved usernames and passwords, etc. – will be gone. It’s definitely worth its salt though.

3. Consider switching to a different browser. Indeed, web browsers like Google Chrome and Firefox are known to be more resistant to this infection by far.

Taken from here http://macsecurity.net/view/40/

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
From a consumer perspective, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately it's simply not viable for our end-users where I work. Allow me to quickly elaborate; we try to have the systems future-proofed for events like this. We have the computer partitioned into two sections; one for the C: drive that contains all the information, programs … and one for the D: drive that has the user folder.

This means that we can restore the C: drive in the event of a virus, and the computer's back to new within a few minutes, negating any data loss in the D: drive (user folder). However, even trying that with this virus doesn't work, because it's also littered in %programdata%, %appdata% … it propagates from both user folder and root folders.

But wiping the computer and starting again isn't a good option. It means updating all the drivers again, restoring old backups, fully updating Windows -- and doing all of this remotely/talking someone through how to do it? No thanks, I don't even want to take that challenge on myself. Plus we can't just get the system collected for a non-hardware problem, because if we did that in the event of every tough Windows virus we'd be broke in a week.

I **********g hate PCs … :D

In your last paragraph, yes indeed, a daunting task, however you can make a cloned image of bare metal machine (includes drivers, latest win updates to that point. Win updates don't take that long. You could even clone it after it was customized for a particular user before they get it infected. Just speaking from personal experience. I use the clone bare machine method and trust me it's a huge time saver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.