Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
I don't understand the desire to have all this stuff shared between people (I really don't want to get the iBooks my wife gets, I certainly don't want the music my daughter buys, etc. etc.)

If my wife buys an album from an artist we both like, sharing means I don't also have to buy it. This is the point of sharing. With photos...we take our kids to the Grand Canyon, take picts on her phone and my phone. It would be nice to have both sets of photos feeding into the same library. I understand some might not want that, but I'm guessing for most families this is a common desire.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
Photo Sharing

Perhaps I'm simplifying the issue here, but it seems like a route Apple could take would be to break out photos from iCloud so that all members of a family could login to a single, shared iCloud photo account. iTunes, Messages & FaceTime currently do this, allowing one to login to different accounts for each service.

g33k0ut

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
But of course, they can't sell two lots of Cloud storage for Photos that way!

Cloud storage is small beer. It's more likely that the feature be added in iOS 9 and OSX-next as a way of selling some new hardware to those users who slip out of upgrade eligibility.

(Apologies if that sounds desperately cynical - I do actually love Apple, despite how that comes across!)

g33k0ut

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
If my wife buys an album from an artist we both like, sharing means I don't also have to buy it. This is the point of sharing. With photos...we take our kids to the Grand Canyon, take picts on her phone and my phone. It would be nice to have both sets of photos feeding into the same library. I understand some might not want that, but I'm guessing for most families this is a common desire.

Bingo. Exact same requirement here.

Reading some of the posts here I was beginning to worry that I was a man armed only with a fork in a land of soup. As if sharing all my photos with all my family made me some kind of social pariah.

Jmorrison - we might never be normal, but at least we'll never be boring #

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Sorry if these were asked and answered already.
1. Faces. Is full faces functionality in the new app? I'm reading it maintains faces data from iPhoto / aperture, but does it let you define new faces, identify photos, etc.?
2. iCloud library question... say I pay Apple for the space, upload my entire library, but keep it set to keep originals on my mac. How does the new app handle deletes in the future. If I delete from my mac...does it also delete from the cloud? Can I delete from my iPhone or iPad and have them delete from everywhere? I'd like to be able to cull out bad photos from any device, but just curious if that's supported.
3. Can someone clue me in on how the iCloud photo library integrates with family sharing? Will I be able to import from multiple devices, each using their own Apple ID's?
4. Curious how adjustments from aperture carry over. What happens to adjustments made in aperture for which there is no comparable feature in photos?

1. Faces carry over from iPhoto, and you can detect new faces in Photos as well as add new photos to existing faces. iPhoto did 3 photos at a time but Photos can do as many as 12 at a time if it auto-associates that many pictures at once. Its actually faster for face detection than iPhoto IMO.

2. If you enable iCloud Photo Library then full res images are stored in the cloud. You can either download full res images to each device or choose to optimize storage. If you optimize storage full size images are not downloaded until you go to view each image individually. If you delete an image while iCloud Photo Library is enabled then that image is deleted off all of your devices and the cloud.

3. Using my Mac with iCloud Photo Library enabled, and using the Photos app, if I plug my wife's iPhone in, I can import all new photos or import a selection. We have different Apple ID's except for iTunes and the App Store. If I import photos from her phone then they would be uploaded into my iCloud Photo Library. As it stands now we have a Family Sharing shared Photostream album though. She also has her own 20GB iCloud plan.

4. Not sure since I'm not an Aperture user.

----------

Bingo. Exact same requirement here.

Reading some of the posts here I was beginning to worry that I was a man armed only with a fork in a land of soup. As if sharing all my photos with all my family made me some kind of social pariah.

Jmorrison - we might never be normal, but at least we'll never be boring #

You can import all new or a selection of photos from family members phones through the Photos app, and then they are uploaded into your own iCloud Photo Library.

It's not automatic like it is with your own devices under your own iCloud account but its not bad, either.

iCloud Photo Library is still in a beta status and I presume features will be added.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Two Libraries - One is the System Library and the other is my old iPhoto Library

Hi there,

This will probably be a simple question for folks and I hope it's easy to fix. When I launched Photos for the first time, it created a new system library from all the photos that I had in iCloud Photo Library. It did not import or upgrade anything from my old iPhoto library.

I was eventually able to upgrade my old iPhoto library, but only by holding down the option key and selecting my old iPhoto library. Now I have two libraries - one that syncs all my iCloud photos and one that has all my old iPhoto photos. This is not what I wanted - I wanted one library where everything syncs.

Any thoughts?

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
So far everything seems to be working for me. Initial upload of ~100GB of photos is completed after 36 hours. I have my home Mac set to download & sync all photos, so it will have a master copy that is essentially in four places: on my hard drive, in iCloud, in Time Machine, and Backblaze. Plus my iPad and iPhone will have the device optimized versions.

Performance so far is great. I have never been able to scroll through my library the way I can right now with Photos. The editing controls are exactly what I need, nothing more/less. For the first time, I may actually go through and clean up my library.

Looks like my iPhone is still syncing all of the photos down. Once that is done, I'll have to go out and do a field test, taking a bunch of photos and hopefully see them magically appear on the home computer.

I'm a bit disappointed I can't buy iCloud Storage for the entire family (i.e: 200 GB for everyone to share) and instead have to buy it twice for my wife and I ($7.98/month total isn't back breaking, but annoying). But maybe that is next along with shared iTunes Match, please?!?!

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Hi there,

This will probably be a simple question for folks and I hope it's easy to fix. When I launched Photos for the first time, it created a new system library from all the photos that I had in iCloud Photo Library. It did not import or upgrade anything from my old iPhoto library.

I was eventually able to upgrade my old iPhoto library, but only by holding down the option key and selecting my old iPhoto library. Now I have two libraries - one that syncs all my iCloud photos and one that has all my old iPhoto photos. This is not what I wanted - I wanted one library where everything syncs.

Any thoughts?

Once everything came over from the old iPhoto library I made a copy of the iPhoto library to an external USB drive and then deleted the iPhoto library from Finder>Pictures.

kernowRE

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
Scotland
Hi there,

Any thoughts?

I did the same thing. go to preferences->use as system library while you have your imported iPhoto library open, then you can enable iCloud photo library for that library. It did not affect (delete) my photos in IPL at all, just added to them, then i deleted the library photos created for itself without issue.

So my imported iPhoto library ended up with all its original images, plus those that were already in IPL, and now they are all in my iCloud photo library

Last edited:

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
I did the same thing. go to preferences->use as system library while you have your imported iPhoto library open, then you can enable iCloud photo library for that library. It did not affect (delete) my photos in IPL at all, just added to them, then i deleted the library photos created for itself without issue.

So my imported iPhoto library ended up with all its original images, plus those that were already in IPL, and now they are all in my iCloud photo library

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks very much!

EmilyB613

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
Hogwarts
Uploading Photos to Web

Quick question (and it may be dumb)

I can't upload pictures to the web, like Facebook or Twitter. I click the "Add Photo" button on either and I don't have an option to go into my Photos library and pick an individual photo. Usually there was a "Photos" icon (camera) on the side bar to chose one. (Not the "Pictures" one, if enabled)

sdub16

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Slow

The change over to Photos went pretty smoothly...but it's taking FOREVER to upload to Cloud...despite reasonable internet speed. I do admit I've got 33,000 photos...but after over a full day...only 7000 have uploaded. Meanwhile, my macbook is SLOW....

pelucon

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Continuity on older macbook

I'm not sure about this one but I thought continuity wasn't supposed to work on older macs because of the bluetooth version. So somehow I received a call today and FaceTime popped up and asked me to login, I did and I was able to answer the phone call on a MacBook Pro mid 2010

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i installed this today. i briefed used the new Photos App, and it seems very simple. it will take a little to get used to. it did seem more responsive, and at least all photos seemed to be organized by date correctly now, which seems simple but iPhoto couldn't do it

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
Continuity was working great prior to the public beta, and most aspects are still working on the beta, but handoff between apps isn't. Safari works from the phone to the Mac, but not back from the Mac to the phone. Handoff with Mail isn't working at all. Texts and phone calls work fine.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
So I force quit Photos and restarted it, now I got a message that my Aperture library was locked and to enter admin password to try and repair permission. Let that run while I went to work and came back with it all loaded on my Mac.

As for iCloud:
Photos on Mac seems to be stuck uploading 527 images (out of many many thousands in my 193GB library). Photos on my iPhone 6 won’t even start. Errors with:

iCloud Restore in Progress
iCloud Photo Library will begin syncing when this device has finished restoring from backup

Problem is of course there’s no backup being restored. I can even start a backup from the iCloud tab which obviously wouldn’t be possible if there was a backup being restored (I’ve used this phone for months since last restore).

Logged in and out of iCloud on all my devices, restarted, tried opening all the iOS Pages/Keynote/Numbers apps and activating their iCloud syncs (yes, that’s an actual troubleshooting step).

Strangely some of my recent iPhone photos are now showing up on iCloud on the web. About half of what I took yesterday and a screenshot I took today. Despite it still claiming it still needs to upload 5,263 items.

The way this public beta is running is not giving me much hope they can ever get this to release.

Last edited:

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Could you explain it to me please? I've looked everywhere, but maybe not in the right place! #

In Finder/Pictures - you will see all of your libraries from iPhoto and Photo. In my case I had the main library and two repair libraries.

After I loaded Photos, many photos would have a error message asking me for permission to access outside files. After I loaded the "repair" folder into Photos, all of those photos that had error messages, then loaded correctly. One issue, the only way I could find to delete the photos with the error messages were done manually. NOT all 3,200 were for that purpose but that file did contain some missing photos that were not uploaded in the initial Photos set up from iPhoto.

To import that missing file into Photos:

I held down the "option" key while clicking the Photo icon. That brings ups a screen asking what library you want to use. In this case I highlighted the photo library that I had listed as a "repair".

Photo loads with only those photos in that file. In my case it was 3,200 of them.

I opened the side bar to Photos, made a new folder, so after I import them I can move them into the folder from "last import" in case I have new photos to import before I can check each one.

- I exported those 3,200 photos to a folder on my desk top.
- Closed Photos
- Reopened Photos while holding down the "option" key, then chose the default PhotoLibrary that was established when Photos was set up.
- Imported photo from the desktop folder into the main library of Photos
- Moved all 3,200 photos into my new folder on the sidebar.

I like the sidebar because right now, until I learn more about Photos, I can manage my photos like I did in iPhoto. I have a lot of different albums for different photos.

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
"However, Apple stresses that Photos is not really meant to be a replacement for the professional photo app, Aperture. At least not yet." -- David Pogue

They're giving Photos away for free with the OS. You don't do that with professional software. You charge money for it. If Apple intended to remain in the pro photography market, they'd have continued to develop Aperture.

So far as Apple is concerned, the iPhone is the future of photography. Photos is a consumer app with low aspirations. If you're holding out hope for a Photos Pro, you're going to be disappointed all over again.

conamor

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2013
Help!

Even if I didn't like Photos at first, I am still testing it on my MBP.
I was wondering, I had a project in Aperture but it was never organized so I have many events...

I opened my aperture library with Photos but can't seem to move let's say 200 pictures to another "album"? It is how it's called in Photos?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.