Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Well seems like PB4 is the deal breaker for me. Here's a list of what's broken for me. With the public release not far off I guess I can live with it until then and do a full reinstall.

Dark Mode will not switch back to Normal Mode. Box gets unchecked but will still be in Dark Mode. Restarting results in Dark Mode box being checked.

Serial Number under About my Mac is now showing unavailable.

Can't login to iMessage or Facetime. Getting the error message "Unable to login. Please check your internet connection."

What did you do to your system ? :confused:

1. Dark Mode works just fine.
2. Serial Number is showing
3. FaceTime works as well

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Happen to have a Directlink for PB3-PB4 update? would really help.

Such direct links exist, but can't be published anywhere because unlike the developer program, there is no apple forum for public beta testers.

Tommyzors

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
What did you do to your system ? :confused:

1. Dark Mode works just fine.
2. Serial Number is showing
3. FaceTime works as well

I wish to know what happened too. I updated normally using the Mac Store from PB1 > PB2 > PB3 >PB4. I'm going to wait until the official release and do a full reinstall I guess.

krbroten

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Finally updated now to pb4. But still my safari and all webservices can not resolve DNS. It is completely broken. :(

Jamiet361

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Leeds, UK
Also updated. Maybe I'm just the lucky one, but everything seems pretty damn stable on this release.

Having no issues and everything thing seems nice and snappy.

krbroten

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Also updated. Maybe I'm just the lucky one, but everything seems pretty damn stable on this release.

Having no issues and everything thing seems nice and snappy.

mine runs great except no functional dns service for some reason. this is a fresh new install today as well.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I wish to know what happened too.
Like I said, search the forums. I googled for "yosemite dark mode stuck", and this MacRumors thread was THE second result on Google's list: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1762059/

Even if you don't have Lights Out installed, there is a terminal command that someone gave in the last post that supposedly fixes the Dark Mode checkbox. It's worth a try.

Not sure what to say about the other two issues. Maybe they're related to the Dark Mode problem, but then again maybe they're not...

So I installed PB4, now Safari, Appstore, Ping etc can't see the internet. DNS issue since I can open a webpage with IP. I check DNS settings and they are all correct. Looks like my DNS isn't running in Safari and Webkit. Chrome works though :(
I ran into a super-weird problem with a Mavericks upgrade on a friend's MacBook recently that sounds eerily similar to what you are describing. They were all the way back on Leopard (!) and I did a direct upgrade to Mavericks from a thumb drive installer. Everything appeared to be fine except I could not make any of the network-aware apps included in the OS work...Safari, App Store, etc. They would all just spin and spin and spin. I could do DNS lookups from the terminal and ping the same hosts just fine. I put Chrome on a thumb drive and installed it on the machine, and it could pull up web sites just fine! Baffling. (I don't remember if I tried going to a web site via IP address in Safari or not. It might not have occurred to me because the symptoms were unusual...Safari didn't say it couldn't find the server, it just sat there and acted like something was loading but nothing would ever show up. And I could resolve DNS on the command-line.)

I started poking around in network settings, and found that the machine had some DNS servers statically specified in the config for the Wi-Fi adapter. On a whim, I removed those and had the computer instead learn its DNS from their router's DHCP server. Problem was IMMEDIATELY fixed. To this day, I cannot explain it. They were obviously using the machine with their DNS configured like that when it was running Leopard and were not experiencing these kinds of problems, so I don't know why those same DNS servers would suddenly become unusable after the upgrade.

-- Nathan

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just a random question, I have noticed allot more people calling the GM version the GM Candidate. When iOS 8 GM was released I don't remember the word Candidate being used.

Is Yosemite more likely to have a newer GM version released before the final release? and am I right in thinking that updating between GM and Final releases won't be an issue?

Thinking of doing a fresh install (on Mavericks currently) of Yosemite.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The full installer for PB4 is now in the purchases tab in the mac app store.

There still isn't one for the golden master however.

It probably took longer to get the full PB4 up there because it is much bigger than the delta update (5.2GB as opposed to 0.8GB)

Anyway, you can use this method to make a bootable usb of PB4:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1757723/

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Just a random question, I have noticed allot more people calling the GM version the GM Candidate. When iOS 8 GM was released I don't remember the word Candidate being used.

Is Yosemite more likely to have a newer GM version released before the final release? and am I right in thinking that updating between GM and Final releases won't be an issue?

Thinking of doing a fresh install (on Mavericks currently) of Yosemite.
Candidate was used in the title of the release by Apple.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
On Mavericks and trying to use the Beta Download I have in my App Store ... and I keep getting Error 1004 ... anyone know what that is and how to get by it?

... NVM ... had to delete the old Yosemite Beta Installer from Public Beta 1

... Any Killer non functioning Applications before i go jump into it?

(Installing on my laptop not my desktop)

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The full installer for the golden master is now also available, but unlike PB4, a new code has to be redeemed for it from the mac dev center or ios dev center.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
This is somewhat off-topic for this thread, but on the off-chance someone reading this knows...

Imagine this scenario: personal computer at home on slow internet connection that you plan to run the beta on, different and older Mac on a blistering-fast network connection elsewhere. You want to download the latest beta installer via this other Mac and take the installer app home with you on a USB thumb drive.

The trouble is that because it's an older Mac, and one that is not compatible with Yosemite, you get this error when trying to download it:

appstore.png

Is there any way around this stupid limitation? I tried holding down all sorts of modifier key combos while clicking the Download button and no joy.

I also ran into this same issue when trying to download the latest Mavericks for installation off-site to another machine. FOR PETE'S SAKE APPLE I KNOW IT'S NOT COMPATIBLE I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING JUST LET ME DOWNLOAD IT. ...annoying and frustrating. :p

-- Nathan

hypno

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Instant hotspot feature still doesn't show up from Beta 4 to iPhone 6 Plus until after I wake up my iPhone first. It works fine between my iPad and iPhone without waking up the iPhone. Anyone else seeing this? I had this problem with Beta 3 as well.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
In previous betas when I out Safari in full screen mode on my big monitor the address bar/favorites bar wouldn't fill the screen it would always leave a box at the end noticed it wasn't doing this in beta 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.