Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
As far as I can tell this should work as long as you do not have bootcamp and you have enough space for all your stuff twice with enough space left to not slow everything down too much.

Do you not have an external hard drive to use SuperDuper to back up your system and use Yosemite normally on your main partition? If you use the two partitions the one you use mainly will become much newer in terms of files and data you have made that the other will become unusable or very hard to go back to without making all your changes twice, once on each partition as it will be out of date? I am only suggesting this as it sounds to me like you will use Yosemite as your main computer with the Mavericks partition as a backup in case of any problems? Of course if you have plenty of space for two partitions then your solution would work well and you will presumable delete the Mavericks partition when the public release comes out?
Most of my stuff is kept in sync through a hodgepodge of online services (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc) so the files and data sync issue isn't too bad for me.

I do have an external drive, but the reason I don't want to install Yosemite over the entire drive is that If for some reason a new beta release breaks one of my programs, I know they all work from Mavericks so it's pretty much instant recovery to work on that specific program. Plus I don't suffer the performance penalty from booting from an external hard drive backup. There's no Boot Camp on this computer, I abandoned Windows a long time ago.

As for storage I have 500GB and have divided it into 2 250GB partitions. This should be more than enough considering most of my stuff is in the could anyways.

On deleting the Mavericks partition when the final release drops: I'll keep it for a while just to ensure that everything works, even with the final release. It may still be a bit rocky considering that this is a pretty significant release, even after all these betas. Then after I can tell everything is fine and the first few updates to address significant bugs have rolled in, I'll delete it.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Boy, are there a lot of drama queens in this thread.

I'll be installing the beta tomorrow on top of Mavericks tomorrow as my main OS.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
abang-yosemite-sam_-2013.jpg

On your marks... get set... INSTALL!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
By the way, I noticed something else you said, surely when the final release comes around it'll have a later build version than the beta and will be available as a simple upgrade via the App Store? Just like what was the case with Mavericks.

It's my understanding that there won't be a delta or combo updater that will do an in-place update from DPx (where x is the final pre-GM candidate DP number) to the general release. Similarly, if memory serves, there wasn't an update from DPx (where x is the final pre-GM candidate DP number) to the GM candidate; users had to wipe and reinstall there too.

That said, I'm pretty sure the Mac App Store download with Mavericks choked when installing on GM because it thought it was the same build. Whether or not the GM candidate (that ends up being the same build as release build) can be updated to point release builds (i.e. 10.10.1, 10.10.2), I don't know. I never tried with Mavericks because when general release came out, I just wiped and reformated with the general release.

I install on main machine yes?

Going to install this on my main computer.

:p

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Ive been working with the DPs since they came out and while it has gotten better I (personally) would not use it on a main machine. Its very resource heavy because its running debug and if you are using a Laptop expect your battery life to go down drastically. Also understand that a lot of programs may not run in Beta, iPhoto doesn't and it won't because they are making room for Photos.

So sure you can do what you want but I guarantee 100% that after tomorrow this forum is going to be flooded with the same people who disregard the backup advice saying "Help how do I downgrade... Help my battery only lasts 2 hours..." Just be smart and put it on an external drive. And people who want to be risky and just use their time machine backup... make sure you don't turn that on in Yosemite or your perfect plan will be foiled.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Ive been working with the DPs since they came out and while it has gotten better I (personally) would not use it on a main machine. Its very resource heavy because its running debug and if you are using a Laptop expect your battery life to go down drastically. Also understand that a lot of programs may not run in Beta, iPhoto doesn't and it won't because they are making room for Photos.

So sure you can do what you want but I guarantee 100% that after tomorrow this forum is going to be flooded with the same people who disregard the backup advice saying "Help how do I downgrade... Help my battery only lasts 2 hours..." Just be smart and put it on an external drive. And people who want to be risky and just use their time machine backup... make sure you don't turn that on in Yosemite or your perfect plan will be foiled.

That's why I'll leave it off my iMac and run it on my Air. While I'm sure it will affect the battery life, I don't rely heavily on my Air and most of it's use is at home, so charging won't be an issue. The irony is that I have updated a lot of my icons on my main to the DP3 icon set and some redone 3rd party app icons too for the look. Of course the dock, windows, and everything else feels out of place with the older look.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Been running all the developer previews since they came out but keen to see the Beta tomorrow.

----------

That's why I'll leave it off my iMac and run it on my Air. While I'm sure it will affect the battery life, I don't rely heavily on my Air and most of it's use is at home, so charging won't be an issue. The irony is that I have updated a lot of my icons on my main to the DP3 icon set and some redone 3rd party app icons too for the look. Of course the dock, windows, and everything else feels out of place with the older look.

I've got DP4 running on a 50GB partition. Goes ok. Since DP3 a lot of apps that hadn't worked initially suddenly popped back into life, although I don't use iPhoto so I haven't tried it.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Can't wait to get it on my 09 secondary MBP! My late-13 rMBP is my daily driver, so I'm not totally worried about losing important stuff if it happens.

I'm curious about the best way to install though. My 09 is currently on Mavericks. Internal HDD is a 500gb single partition. Need to double check how much space there is though. It's got a lot of movies on it (those are also replicated on a 1tb external I use with my rMBP).

Also, is there anything I need to be aware of with iCloud? I use the same account with both of my macs, my iPhone and iPad mini which are both in iOS 7. The rMBP will also be staying on Mavericks until the public release or even 10.10.1. It's my school machine.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I wonder if Microsoft Office 2011 will function fine? Also wonder if all features will be available on my 2011 MacBook Air.

Office works fine, but Outlook may freeze or be slow to respond. A database rebuild will help, but the lag with Outlook is something you'll have to put up with for a while...

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
I wonder if Microsoft Office 2011 will function fine? Also wonder if all features will be available on my 2011 MacBook Air.
Office works fine, but Outlook may freeze or be slow to respond. A database rebuild will help, but the lag with Outlook is something you'll have to put up with for a while...

With Beta 3 my Outlook was problematic and would start up but without an inbox window. After a database rebuild it worked as usual, but after a system restart the problems returned. I didn't update to beta 4 as I wasted enough energy with a TM backup reinstall after this issues.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who found a way around this, or from beta 4 users or public beta users (later) who use Outlook.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
That seems like a very bad idea. I mean iOS8 won't be a public beta so two separate iClouds will confuse and anger many people

i doubt that, the implementation is pretty much useless and half the icons in the taskbar will be impossible to read cuz they havent been updated by the devs to support dark mode

If you have any photoshop skills you can make inverted version in two minutes. There will be resources for dark mode so quick.

MrFozzie

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
And people who want to be risky and just use their time machine backup... make sure you don't turn that on in Yosemite or your perfect plan will be foiled.

What do you mean by this? From when I have used time machine if I have a backup of right before I install Yosemite I can restore back to this at any point I need to, even if I do keep having time machine backups on as I can choose when in my list of backups I restore to, meaning I can go back to the moment before Yosemite can't I?

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
What do you mean by this? From when I have used time machine if I have a backup of right before I install Yosemite I can restore back to this at any point I need to, even if I do keep having time machine backups on as I can choose when in my list of backups I restore to, meaning I can go back to the moment before Yosemite can't I?
Yes, I did that. Worked perfectly, if a little time-consuming.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Going to do a fresh install on my iMac to have play with. My MacBook Pro is my main workhorse and it won't be getting Yosemite until the October release.

----------

I already sold my Mac in hopes that something better would be on the market.

Why are you posting in this thread then:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.