Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by King Cobra
>http://maccentral.macworld.com/news...12.server.shtml

I cannot find one place where the author mentions Mac OS X 1.2, but instead only Mac OS X Server 1.2.

This seves my point further. The OS 10.x.x = OS X 1.x.x was ment to be an example, which is amplified in the site you posted, SB. But I'm guesing that the actual name change would take place at OS 11, not right now. Obviously, OS X 1.2 would not work right now.

As for separating the consumer X from the server X, add the word server between X and the version of OS X. :)

Now you have me thoroughly confused, so i am going to conclude that the "os 11" will be OS X Version 2 10.0

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
They never released Mac OS X 1.0 to the public, the only way to get ahold of a copy of OS X was buy OS X Server or get the Rhapsody developers copy.

Back then it was OS 9 and Appleshare or Mac OS X Server for servers and OS 9 only for the consumers.

If you look at an old of OS X Server 1.0/Rhapsody you'll see how much OS X has matured in the past few years. Back then there was nearly zero compatibility between OS 9 and OS X.

Caron/Classic made the switch to OS X 10.0 painless compared to the pain you would have felt with 1.0

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
The X in OS X also makes slight reference to UNIX. (X windowing system, etc.)

Besides, Mac OS X 10.9 is certainly not the last possible version -- they could go to Mac OS X 10.42 if they felt like it...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally, I think Apple wanted "OS X" to have a double meaning, X as in the roman numeral 10 and X as in Unix. But over time it's become clear that Apple is treating the X separate from the numerical designation. As many have noted, X is now the product brand name and has little if any to do with the version number.

So it's unlikely Apple will drop the X moniker or change it to something like Xi. Rather, they may go to something like Mac OS X 11.0 when the next big upgrade rolls around

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by dongmin
Originally, I think Apple wanted "OS X" to have a double meaning, X as in the roman numeral 10 and X as in Unix. But over time it's become clear that Apple is treating the X separate from the numerical designation. As many have noted, X is now the product brand name and has little if any to do with the version number.

So it's unlikely Apple will drop the X moniker or change it to something like Xi. Rather, they may go to something like Mac OS X 11.0 when the next big upgrade rolls around

I get what you are saying, there used to be Mac OS, and Now we have Mac OS X. That makes perfect sense. Another example of when this *sort of* happened was the switch from "system" 7 to "OS" 8.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by samdweck

Mac OS Y? huh... waht r u talking about... and btw, I can see the x as a brand name... brb... got to close windows, storm's ablowign!

i believe he was being facetious.

PrettyMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Oyeregui, Spain
Originally posted by King Cobra
If you take a moment to think about it, Mac OS X 10.2 really doesn't make sense. X = 10 in Roman Numerals, and a 10.2 after that makes things more confusing. And, a while back, someone mentioned that Mac OS 10.x was actually OS X 1.x, or something like that. I forget where, but I'm assuming what he/she said is true, and I'm trying to expand on it.

And what about iChat, iDisk, iMac, iCalendar, iMovie, iTunes....?

i=I=1 in Roman Numerals. All the iXXXX applications must be 1XXXX applications. Can you imagine it 1Chat, 1Disk,....

And what about the entire name ? Mac OS X 10.2

M=1000, A is the 1st letter, O=0, X=10, 10=10 and 2=2. The rewritten name must be:

10001010102, wonderful and very commercial isn't it ?

:) :) :) :) :)

Sorry everybody !!!

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
it has been set

It has been set in stone by the people who make Apple a successful company that the nextmajor version number shall be:

Mac OS X 11.0

Proof:

OSX boxes said Mac OS X now with version 10.1. OSX is the brand name.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(PrettyMan) And what about iChat, iDisk, iMac, iCalendar, iMovie, iTunes....?

The lowercase "i" meant internet, but it has become obsolete now. It doesn't represent a roman numeral. Would the M in Mac mean 1000 acs? :)

>And what about the entire name ? Mac OS X 10.2

>M=1000, A is the 1st letter, O=0, X=10, 10=10 and 2=2. The rewritten name must be: 10001010102, wonderful and very commercial isn't it ?

You are quite the comic. I would advice you to recommend this to Apple, while I recommend converting the names iTunes, iCal, and so forth to a binary code.
iCal: i=9, P=3, a=1, l=12
iCal: 11001111111
Introducing the new 11001111111. :p

Yeah. I like the idea of Mac OS X 11.0 much better than my theme, or the old OS 11, or OS XI.

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
Originally posted by strider42

Actually, I believe apple refers to OS X as "OS X 10.2" for jaguar. Its numbering didn't start with 1.0, it started at 10.0, with OS X as the brand name.

yes. if you go to About This Mac, the window says "Mac OS X version 10.2.1" the "mac os 11" would be called "mac OS X version 11.X.X"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.