Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3dd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Has anyone here tried updating an Owon Scope's firmware using a Mac running Windows? I have Windows 10 running natively using boot camp on my MacPro desktop, and would like to update the firmware of my Owon SDS7102 scope. I know almost nothing about Windows, and I'm concerned I may brick the scope if this goes south. I know the Owon software installs a USB DRIVER, and since this is running on a Mac, I'm wondering if this will simply not see the scope, or possibly see the scope, but fail to properly update it, and brick it? Any input would be helpful! Thanks. So far any software I have installed ( mainly games), seem to run fine. Really want to update the scope for improved refresh rate, and the new cut wave feature. Just ordered an Owon AG 1022F waveform generator!

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
While I have no actual experience with updating scopes over bootcamp you should be fine, USB is pretty bulletproof. I have used some pretty obscure USB drivers with bootcamp and they all worked perfectly fine. Worst case it just doesn't work, if the drivers don't work properly it won't detect the scope and won't attempt to update the firmware.

Keep in mind though that when updating any kind firmware there is a possibility for things to go wrong (accidentally unplug the cable during transfer, computer has a random crash during transfer, etc.) but the chances are pretty remote. It depends on the device as to what the repercussions are. Usually it just means you have to start over again but in some very rare cases it could brick the hardware. Considering this is an oscilloscope and given the cost of such devices I can't imagine that a user upgradable firmware could possible brick the device, they must have safeguards in place.

tony3dd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
While I have no actual experience with updating scopes over bootcamp you should be fine, USB is pretty bulletproof. I have used some pretty obscure USB drivers with bootcamp and they all worked perfectly fine. Worst case it just doesn't work, if the drivers don't work properly it won't detect the scope and won't attempt to update the firmware.

Keep in mind though that when updating any kind firmware there is a possibility for things to go wrong (accidentally unplug the cable during transfer, computer has a random crash during transfer, etc.) but the chances are pretty remote. It depends on the device as to what the repercussions are. Usually it just means you have to start over again but in some very rare cases it could brick the hardware. Considering this is an oscilloscope and given the cost of such devices I can't imagine that a user upgradable firmware could possible brick the device, they must have safeguards in place.

Did it, and it worked fine! Thanks!

Reactions: Brandon0448
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.