Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
When do think this will come out? Because it seems like with each step in OSX , there are so many upgrades and new features. Ah I just wanted to take a mostly unrealistic and futuristic look into what you think the OS 11 will be like. Bombs away!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
celebrian23 said:
January of 2010

I'd agree with something around that timeframe...maybe even a few years later. Tough to speculate on what will be included, as it's barely on anybody's radar screen at this point.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Dreaming about the next OS is hard until we're almost done with the current one. I want os x domesticated cat though before we move on to os 11 :) I say 2010 at the very, very earliest. Like I said earlier. Though I agree it could very well be a couple years after that.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
What's the betting that OS 11 gets released before vista? :p

... or at least before 'vista service pack 2' makes the system usable!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
OS 11 will come out when Apple can create another paradigm shift over OS X. It'll be something quite amazing in concept, but will be installed side by side on new Macs allowing users and developers to get used to it. Until then, we'll have OS X 10.9, 10.10 etc.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
You know how Steve Jobs described OS X's interface as "lickable" when he demoed it? The OS 11 interface actually will be. No more mice and keyboards, the whole operating system will be tongue based!

I, for one, cannot wait.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
TUI, tongue user interface.

but seriously, i cant really see what apple can do to improve on OS X, i like the level of eye candy, though if i could improve it in any way i'd do a 3d sphere effect for expose so it's like your looking inside a sphere of windows when you hit F9, but that would probably just get in the way.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Hector said:
TUI, tongue user interface.

but seriously, i cant really see what apple can do to improve on OS X, i like the level of eye candy, though if i could improve it in any way i'd do a 3d sphere effect for expose so it's like your looking inside a sphere of windows when you hit F9, but that would probably just get in the way.

In 4-6 years technology will have developed much further- when os 11 is introduced os x will seem so...primitive. A lot can happen in these next few years. A time will come when using os x will be as common as people primarily running os9 now.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's a great concept. It's really well thought out as well. They definitely took some time to try and cover most/all of their bases.

I'm not so sure it's usefulness, particularly if you're a slob, or with the addition of folders. There's still some aspects uncovered in the UI. But it's still VERY cool.

As emw pointed out in another thread, imagine the mess when you add "text" :)

Rovman

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
United Kingdom
The video is cool and some of the ideas are great, but to be honest i find it all too complicated and many of the features uneccessary.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Since you said OS X 11, I'm guessing you pronounced it "Oh Ess Ex" - the correct pronounciation of course is "Oh Ess Ten"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.