Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Im new to mac, new to powerbooks, and new to color calibration. Im using a Viewsonic A90f+ as a dual monitor with the powerbook. I have noticed that the Viewsonic has a more "real" white in my opinion. The white on my powerbook seems yellowish. I have tried calibrating the powerbook but it just doesnt result how I would like my color settings to be. Its still has that yellowish white?

Any suggestions?
Can I calibrate the powerbook to:
1. Have a more "real" white
2. Color Sync both my powerbook lcd and the viewsonic?

PS: I realize color is all relative.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
System Preferences (white icon in the dock with an Apple and Light switch on it) -> Display (Second line, third in) -> Click the "Color" tab -> Click "Calibrate". Follow the prompts.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You can run the calibration software twice, once for each display (there's a selection listbox on the left), but there isn't any way to tell it to "make them the same" -- that's the whole point of calibrating. :(

But also, some users here really like this software, which lets you do more advanced calibration than the built-in tool:

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
varmit said:
System Preferences (white icon in the dock with an Apple and Light switch on it) -> Display (Second line, third in) -> Click the "Color" tab -> Click "Calibrate". Follow the prompts.
yeah, of course I ran color calibration that comes with osx. nonetheless, I still have a yellowish white. i just wish I could edit the colors like I would in photoshop. anyway, ill give supercal 1.1 a try. Thanks everyone for your help.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah, I'm guessing that your PB screen is older than the viewsonic display. That is the nature of the beast...

However, adjusting the color temp can compensate for the "yellow".

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Cooler temperatures (Kelvin) = "bluer" images.

Warmer temperatures have more yellow.

OS X's color sync is pretty good, but if you're at all serious about color (i.e. your a photographer or videographer), buy a spectrometer.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
SAdProZ said:
yeah, of course I ran color calibration that comes with osx. nonetheless, I still have a yellowish white. i just wish I could edit the colors like I would in photoshop. anyway, ill give supercal 1.1 a try. Thanks everyone for your help.
Editing colors on your screen like photoshop? Now thats a cool idea. :D

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Sedulous said:
Yeah, I'm guessing that your PB screen is older than the viewsonic display. That is the nature of the beast...

However, adjusting the color temp can compensate for the "yellow".
actually the viewsonic is 2 years old almost. The powerbook is a new revision (the ones that just came out)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.