Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
i just reinstalled osX as thats what the applecare guy instructed me to do

i now only have 56 gigs of free space. i don't get that.

its an 80 gig hard drive, and i did a clean reinstall, anyone know how i can get that space back?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Download this program....have it analyze your disk, and post a screenshot of the results when it's finished. Use Command+Shift+4, then select the window. The screenshot will pop up on your desktop.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
running the program right now.
its "sizing" the drive

thing is, when i first got the laptop, i had 74 gigs available. now with a clean reinstall, i have 20 less gigs. thats whats bothering me.

deleting garageband loops own'tdo much for me, as i play around with that alot.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
huh, for some reason i can't upload images. won't here or at photobucket/flickr.

edit...
well, i guess i can

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 65

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
laidbackliam said:
i just reinstalled osX as thats what the applecare guy instructed me to do

i now only have 56 gigs of free space. i don't get that.

its an 80 gig hard drive, and i did a clean reinstall, anyone know how i can get that space back?

When installing OS X, there are options that can affect the size of the installation by a few GB. (Printer Drivers, X11, Language Files, and etc.)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
laidbackliam said:
thing is, when i first got the laptop, i had 74 gigs available. now with a clean reinstall, i have 20 less gigs. thats whats bothering me.

You couldn't possibly have had 74 GB available when you got the computer...that's all the drive holds.

I've stripped my installation down as far as I reasonably can on my iBook Dual USB (10 GB hard drive) and I've got it at about 3 GB plus another 500 MB of apps (most of that being Office) and 200 MB in my user folder. That's getting rid of all unnecessary printer drivers, all iLife apps and associated support files except for iTunes, and all languages except English.

20 GB is a normal size for OS X plus all bundled apps and options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.