Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
considering a fresh install of XP cant last even 10 minutes on a open network without being violated in some sense...

Any OS is vulnerable if precautions aren't taken.

In all reality it is like a car alarm, you can buy the best in the business but when the day is done if someone really wants the car they will take it regardless. Being proactive in protection is always better than being reactive. If you leave your system wide open you deserve what is coming to you.

Ed

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Ed H said:
considering a fresh install of XP cant last even 10 minutes on a open network without being violated in some sense...

Any OS is vulnerable if precautions aren't taken.

In all reality it is like a car alarm, you can buy the best in the business but when the day is done if someone really wants the car they will take it regardless. Being proactive in protection is always better than being reactive. If you leave your system wide open you deserve what is coming to you.

Ed
Then what is a good OSX spyware searcher as they suggest? I've never heard of such a thing. The guy at the Apple store who sold me my Mac said there were only 2 viruses and no spyware for it?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
bosrs1 said:
Then what is a good OSX spyware searcher as they suggest? I've never heard of such a thing. The guy at the Apple store who sold me my Mac said there were only 2 viruses and no spyware for it?

There is no spyware for OSX. Thus, no spyware searcher. The person who wrote that bit needs to be hung from a certain body part...and I wasn't thinking the neck.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
yg17 said:
There is no spyware for OSX. Thus, no spyware searcher. The person who wrote that bit needs to be hung from a certain body part...and I wasn't thinking the neck.
And what's a good virus scanner and/or firewall. I had Virex, but it no longer worked when I upgraded to Tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.