Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
I am beyond frustrated so apologies if I am missing an obvious and/or previously posted solution here. I have searched here and elsewhere and feel like I am going in circles, so please refrain from any flaming.

I have a mid-2008 MBP (5,1) which is currently running Yosemite. I need to upgrade to El Capitan so that I can sync my iOS12 devices again. I also have some issues with the primary hard drive in it (long story) so I am installing an SSD drive in the optical bay and would like to perform a clean install of 10.11 on it, making it the boot drive.

1) Everything I have read says that my hardware will not work with anything more recent that 10.11. Is this true?

2) Where can I download a copy of 10.11 so that I can create a usb install drive?

3) If there are any better OSoptions that will allow me to run an iOS12 compatible version of iTunes I am all ears!

Yours in frustration,

Craig

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am beyond frustrated so apologies if I am missing an obvious and/or previously posted solution here. I have searched here and elsewhere and feel like I am going in circles, so please refrain from any flaming.

I have a mid-2008 MBP (5,1) which is currently running Yosemite. I need to upgrade to El Capitan so that I can sync my iOS12 devices again. I also have some issues with the primary hard drive in it (long story) so I am installing an SSD drive in the optical bay and would like to perform a clean install of 10.11 on it, making it the boot drive.

1) Everything I have read says that my hardware will not work with anything more recent that 10.11. Is this true?

2) Where can I download a copy of 10.11 so that I can create a usb install drive?

3) If there are any better OSoptions that will allow me to run an iOS12 compatible version of iTunes I am all ears!

Yours in frustration,

Craig
I googled for "Download El Capitan" and the first result that came back was this page which contains all the details you need: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Reactions: CoastalOR

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
You are correct. The maximum Apple supported OS for your MBP is El Capitan (10.11.6).

Reactions: drummingcraig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.