Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
I connect to various wireless networks throughout the day, and some of them have the SSID broadcast disabled. On my iBook G3, when one of these networks is discovered, the OS remembers what my WEP or WPA keys are, and connects me directly to the network. On my new MBP, I have to connect using the "Other..." option under the menu every single time, including re-entering the keys. This is obviously a pain in the ass since the keys are quite long, and hard to remember.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Intel based machines, and is there a fix or work-around?

Thanks.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
techound1 said:
Is it a keychain issue?

I'm not even sure how to answer that...as I recall, it should save them automatically, should it not?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Well, I have old-fashioned OSX-PPC and my G4 quicksilver seems to never automatically reconnect to my airport. The password is remembered, but I still have to select the network. Sort of annoying.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Sedulous said:
Well, I have old-fashioned OSX-PPC and my G4 quicksilver seems to never automatically reconnect to my airport. The password is remembered, but I still have to select the network. Sort of annoying.

I tried setting it to "By default, join: Preferred Network" instead of Automatic...and we'll see how that goes....I won't know until tomorrow.

When I don't switch areas, and I reboot, the Airport reconnects no problem....but if I switch from one SSID to another (home, school, etc.), it forgets the previous ones.

Like I said, it worked fine on my iBook, so it really has me confused.

I'll see if my changes make a difference tomorrow.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I have this same issue with my MacBook Pro... I've just assumed it to be part of the overall airport problem that goes along with the dropping connections which I experience at home, but not while on campus in college.

I always have to re-enter the info when going between my home and school networks.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
elbirth said:
I have this same issue with my MacBook Pro... I've just assumed it to be part of the overall airport problem that goes along with the dropping connections which I experience at home, but not while on campus in college.

I always have to re-enter the info when going between my home and school networks.

I'm assuming it's a bug in the x86 version of OSX then...

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
So far no problems using the method I mentioned above...it connected no problem. In fact, I almost forget because it just connected and I didn't think about it.

I'll update when I get home to see if things continue to work there.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Worked perfectly coming home too....I guess that's the solution....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.