Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way that I could get OS X to check spelling in other languages (specifically German, French, Italian, and Spanish...Greek would be a bonus!).

I use Mellel to do my word processing, which I believe uses the OS X dictionary service (though I could be very wrong). Just thought I'd tell you that...in case it makes a difference.

Also, I did search the forum, but the most relavent posts seemed to be from 2003--so I thought maybe there was some more up-to-date info out there.

Thanks!

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
dubbz said:
Edit -> Spelling -> Spelling... (or Apple + : )
That's good...a step in the right direction. Is it possible to set it up so that it checks multiple languages. It appears that you can only use one language at a time (many of my documents are multilingual).

Thanks!

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
stevietheb said:
That's good...a step in the right direction. Is it possible to set it up so that it checks multiple languages. It appears that you can only use one language at a time (many of my documents are multilingual).

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible... It's an ability I could use too.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
MS Office can do it

Since you use Mellel, this may not be an attractive solution for you, but in MS Office you can mark different segments of a document as different languages. In MS Word, select the text that you want to change the language of, then go under Tools --> Language... and select the language you want to mark it as.

For any Canadians here who are pissed off with always being told by Word that we spell "colour" and "honour" wrong, you can even mark text as belonging to the British or American standards of spelling. Problem solved!

(and yes, it even works with Greek!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.