Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I pre-ordered the Otterbox Defender on 9/13, and paid extra for the fastest shipping. When I did, it said they'd ship 9/21. I ended up getting mine a few days ago, on 9/18. The thing that concerns me, is that since that time the pre-order ship date has changed to 9/28 (which is understandable, given the likely demand), but the model #'s for the cases have changed. The one I got says 77-21908 on the bottom of the package (UPC), the one on the invoice/shipping invoice says 77-21908_A, and the one (updated a few days ago), on Otter's website says 77-21908_B.

I'm not sure if something minor (or major) changed with the case, or if for some reason they decided to change the model number for no reason. I've tried to reach out to them via twitter, but apparently they don't check it or who knows, and emailed, and so far nothing.

I don't know if they rushed to make the first batch, and didn't get something right, thus the new SKU/Model # (with a B instead of A), or what.. so, anyone else who ordered (or who has gotten theirs already), what does the SKU on the bottom as well as your invoice/shipping paper say?

They're usually pretty responsive on Twitter from my experience. Give them a call and get it squared away.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I called and spoke with Laura at OtterBox, she said the difference (change) in SKU from the time that I ordered (77-21908_A) to what it now shows on their website (77-21908_B), was just an internal issue.. so, I guess we'll see when I get my phone tomorrow. Hopefully there aren't any issues, and all works well.

sbbrown333

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
Upstate SC
Picked up an OtterBox Defender for me and my wife today. The new ones are really improved from the 4S design. The ports are tighter which was my only issue and its thinner than previous Defenders that were bulky. Their warranty replacement and customer service is the best. Got a grey and white one at Target today and got my wife a purple and teal at AT&T, who made a huge deal that they weren't allowed to sale them today. I told them Verizon and Target were selling them and they immediately grabbed me one out of the back and sold it to me.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I've had two Defenders and didn't like them. Took the screen protector out, which helped but I also didn't like how it was hard to touch the edge of the screen. Also, the belt clip sucks. Don't know how many times it got knocked out. Too hard to get out of the clip with one hand as well. They do provide some good drop protection though.

At any rate, I'll not be buying another Defender. The commuter series is much more to my liking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.