Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
My iTunes library is getting really fat, obese even...

Closing in on 100 gigs.

Is there a cap to the amount of songs/gigs one can store and still have iTunes correctly index them and play them?

I bought a new external HD, so I plan on the iTunes Library getting even fatter.

Thoughts?

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
I don't think there is a maximum size that the iTunes library can cope with; but if you're going to have some music on an external HD and some on your main HD make sure you turn off the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option in the prefs.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
100GB is child's play. I personally only have about 70GB but I've used 600GB libraries with no issues. It's not even noticeably slower or anything like that. I would have expected it to at least slow down the scrolling.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
mad jew said:
100GB is child's play. I personally only have about 70GB but I've used 600GB libraries with no issues. It's not even noticeably slower or anything like that. I would have expected it to at least slow down the scrolling.

Are you guys collecting all the songs that were ever recorded? :D :confused:
My library reached 20GB and I'm freaking out!!:cool:

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
alexstein said:
Are you guys collecting all the songs that were ever recorded? :D :confused:
My library reached 20GB and I'm freaking out!!:cool:

I am trying to have a massive jukebox of tunes, but obviously every song would be impossible.

Also, I have a lot of my own tracks recorded in Ableton Live and Logic, and they are saved in AIFF format, so they are all quite large.

600 Gig libraries, nice, now that's what I wanted to hear..

Onward and Upward!
:D

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
shuffle issues

i have 400Gb (60,000 tracks) in my library, and it does run a little slow, sometimes hesitating when scrolling and switching tracks, on my B&W350. The only major issue i have with it is my shuffle won't autofill from the library, only from playlists - i don't know if this happened once i went over about 50K tracks or when i changed to iTunes 5 from 4 around the same time, but it just locks and dies - the iPod/iTunes updates haven't fixed it so far.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
compressed

mostly at 224 with a few 128 - i started out doing them as AAC but mostly do mp3 now for wider compatibility. Started ripping my vinyl collection too now, but it's a pretty slow process cutting up the tracks so i'm mostly just doing old stuff that never got re-released onto cd and the odd rare 12".
i like the shuffle autofill - it gives me a chance to re-discover stuff i'd forgotten about - and making playlists out of a library this size is a bit tedious. maybe if i upgraded to a G4 it would be a bit smoother.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I have about 180gigs (34,000+) songs and iTunes has definitely gotten slower.

I have a DP 1.25 G4 1.25gig RAM

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
what i'd be interested in knowing is what the minimum upgrade i'd need is to run this kind of library comfortably - my g3 350 can certainly do it, but i get the spinning wheel a lot (it is running as a web server also tho) - would a 1.25 mini be enough?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.