Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sceadufax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
London
Is it in any way possible to overclock a Rev.B iMac G5(even a little bit), am prepared to take risks as I understand overclocking most macs is inherently dangerous, any help/tips would be great.

Thanks

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Not sure how to do it with a G5 CPU, but with a G4 you could overclock by moving the transistors around to different positions for different CPU frequencies. You may want to check out xlr8yourmac.com and maybe someone there has already done it.

I strongly suggest that you don't do it. The G5 already runs way too hot in the enclosure as it is and increasing the frequency will only make matters much worse. I understand that you know the risks, but at the same time, its not worth ruining a perfectly good computer just for a few MHz that won't make any difference at all.

But if you want to be geeky and try it, please let us know how it goes and keep a very close eye on CPU and enclosure temps. Good luck!

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
mklos said:
I strongly suggest that you don't do it. The G5 already runs way too hot in the enclosure as it is and increasing the frequency will only make matters much worse. I understand that you know the risks, but at the same time, its not worth ruining a perfectly good computer just for a few MHz that won't make any difference at all.

I 100% agree. There's a reason that the high end G5 needed a specially designed liquid cooling system. It's just a really hot processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.