Overclocking an iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sceadufax, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Sceadufax macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2005
    Is it in any way possible to overclock a Rev.B iMac G5(even a little bit), am prepared to take risks as I understand overclocking most macs is inherently dangerous, any help/tips would be great.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Not sure how to do it with a G5 CPU, but with a G4 you could overclock by moving the transistors around to different positions for different CPU frequencies. You may want to check out xlr8yourmac.com and maybe someone there has already done it.

I strongly suggest that you don't do it. The G5 already runs way too hot in the enclosure as it is and increasing the frequency will only make matters much worse. I understand that you know the risks, but at the same time, its not worth ruining a perfectly good computer just for a few MHz that won't make any difference at all.

But if you want to be geeky and try it, please let us know how it goes and keep a very close eye on CPU and enclosure temps. Good luck!
  3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    I 100% agree. There's a reason that the high end G5 needed a specially designed liquid cooling system. It's just a really hot processor.