Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
I know this is a mac forum but I have a home build pc (motherboard MSI K8N Neo4, CPU AMD Athlon 64 +3200 2.0 GHz, Graphics card Nvidia 256MB geforce 6600 LE, HD 250 GB IDE gateway, RAM DDR-SDRAM 1GB) and i am trying to overclock the CPU ive got it to go up to 2.4 GHz but after that the system goes unstable do you know any way i could get a higher clock speed? also is it hard to overclock the RAM? Also do you think its enough to run windows vista?

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I know this is a mac forum but I have a home build pc (motherboard MSI K8N Neo4, CPU AMD Athlon 64 +3200 2.0 GHz, Graphics card Nvidia 256MB geforce 6600 LE, HD 250 GB IDE gateway, RAM DDR-SDRAM 1GB) and i am trying to overclock the CPU ive got it to go up to 2.4 GHz but after that the system goes unstable do you know any way i could get a higher clock speed? also is it hard to overclock the RAM? Also do you think its enough to run windows vista?

Getting a CPU to overclock 20% is actually pretty good. The best chip ever was the Celeron 300a which could overclock to 450MHz, which is 50%

The only way that you would be able to get the proc to overclock higher would be to a) don't use air-cooling. You need liquid cooling. b) you will need to increase the voltage to the memory and to the processor. c) you will need to make sure your RAM is rated pretty high, and you have the fastest RAM you can get.

What you're doing when you overclock, is you're increasing the FSB of the machine. Which, when multiplied by the processor's "clock multiplier" will give you the clockspeed of the processor.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
When I go over 2.4GHz the system goes starange and bugy. If i got water cooling system whould i be able to clock it to 3.00 GHz

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
When I go over 2.4GHz the system goes starange and bugy. If i got water cooling system whould i be able to clock it to 3.00 GHz

I doubt it, but it depends on a lot of factors. On how cool your processor will be, how effecient your water cooler is, how fast your memory is, how effecient your motherboard is... short answer, i doubt it.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
The difference once you go over the 2.0Ghz mark is negligible anyway really, you're talking milliseconds. I've never seen much of a noticeable difference when you go above that mark to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.