Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valpro

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
try this solution for overheating issue

same problem with my early 2014 model MBA.But i finally found out a solution for overheating and battery drain.Just go to activity monittor,my CPU usage was 100% by calendar application,i forcefully quit that application.Now my mac running very cool,battery life back to normal,only thing i has to do the same procedure everytime i switches on,probably a bug on yosemite

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I actually went into the Apple Store today for a genius appointment because my 2012 rmbp would overheat (105deg) and shutdown.

He told me that because I'm running 10.10 there isn't a reliable method of differentiating between hardware and software faults. It may be overheating due to a software issue, causing it shut down to protect itself. Concluded with me having to come back with 10.10 is officially released, or reverting back to Mavericks.

Last edited:

BSWilson

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
I actually went into the Apple Store today for a genius appointment because my 2012 rmbp would overheat (105deg) and shutdown.

He told me that because I'm running 10.10 there isn't a reliable method of differentiating between hardware and software faults. It may be overheating due to a software issue, causing it shut down to protect itself. Concluded with me having to come back with 10.10 is officially released, or reverting back to Mavericks.

Just brought 2013 MBP to Apple store today for genius appt because the fans were no longer coming on and it was getting close to overheating (213F), though I wasn't aware of the top end limit.

Did some resets and ran a hardware test, nothing came back so he recommended reinstalling 10.10 and if that didn't work, reach out to Apple Development somehow.

Reinstalled 10.10, still no fans, so I'm back in Mavericks. Didn't realize iStat controls fans but I'd rather just wait a month for the finished release of Yosemite than buy it. Kinda wonder if it possibly interfered, as I installed it around the time I went to 10.10.

Any other MBP users in Yosemite with dead fans?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I've noticed that I'm having pretty major overheating issues with Yosemite. 2012 MBP, 8GB RAM, SSD.

It gets worse when I leave it and it goes into semi-sleep (screen off, music playing, but still 'awake'). When I would come back, the fan is roaring and the temp reports >95C (That's just shy of boiling point).

I'm a bit concerned it's damaging the macbook...
Mine is a 2012 MBA and I don't have too much heating out of the norm.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Mine has not gone over this unless I start to download the OS X than it goes much higher for a short time

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 9.48.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 9.48.24 AM.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 248

bababoris

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
MBP Running hot as well

I just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10 3 days ago and the fan is constantly on and the temp has shot up. I am not sure what to do. In additional is certainly seems that batter is getting drained by the running fan. Should I report it to apple support?

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10 3 days ago and the fan is constantly on and the temp has shot up. I am not sure what to do. In additional is certainly seems that batter is getting drained by the running fan. Should I report it to apple support?

Running a macbook pro mid 2009 core 2 duo 2.8ghz with 2 internal SSDs.

Running much hotter over 220F with any use of graphics or online vids- fans blare at over 5500 - 6000 rpms, 160F at idle with fans running constant at an average of 3000 rpm and above.. memory usage seems a little above normal.

Whether Yosemite is causing over heating of the CPU or has whacked the sensors stupid (especially the fans) is the question in my mind (the comp doesn't feel unusually hotter than in Mavericks by touch).

When I first upgraded, the fans ran near 6000rpms at idle, an smc reset calmed the beast down, but fans still running above normal - 3000rpms and above at idle(mavericks 1900 rpms average).

If the computer goes into screen saver mode - 5800rpms... (screen saver is not an option anymore).

I also noticed while browsing safari, when clicking to another page or tab, the temp sensor jumps 20 F or more for a couple of seconds.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Thats 104.5C which is right on the border of thermal damage I'd have thought.

thermal damage be damned, in desperation I reset Smc and pram (for the 3rd time), this time I let the the mac reboot 8 times during pram reset.

As the finder woke up I more than expected the fans to slowly creep up to a frenzy as the temp was still about 203F, but instead the fans revved up to a little above 3000rpms then back down to 1900/2000 as the temp dropped along to 128F (72C) to my complete relief. It has been steady as she goes since..

Having taken precautionary measures in Mavericks before Yo install didn't help with the glitches I dealt with in my particular case and my macbook pro 17".

The first problem was crashing while restart - did a clean re-install - then bluetooth/wifi bonked- reset SMC/PRAM which solved bluetooth and wifi but still crashed when re-starting - rebooted from E-drive- re-clean installed Yo - reset sm./pram- then CPU overheat and fan frenzy till last night when I reset smc and pram again.. now all quiet on the eastern front..

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's only been a couple days but I monitor CPU and GPU temps and they haven't changed, fan remains at 1200 rpm. If anything they are cooler due to lower ambient temps.

Late 2013 27" i5 775.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
But then again, the US is still the wild west with all its guns and glory and imperial units. Cannot let go of old habits, but hey, the downfall is near.

People like you make me sick. You sound like you're just jealous, with all of your U.S. bashing. It really was uncalled for.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
People like you make me sick. You sound like you're just jealous, with all of your U.S. bashing. It really was uncalled for.

Calm down, captain America. Clearly he was posting a light hearted joke, so take your patriotic hat off and put the shotgun away. It's funny how China and Chinese people are ridiculed daily on these forums in subtle and not so subtle ways without an eyebrow raised.

You sound like a parody out of South Park.

Wet coaster

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
I'm just wondering if this Yosemite causing overheating is true. I just upgraded my late 2011 mbp and last week the logic board fried. It was charging as usual overnight, but in the morning it was beeping like crazy and very hot (these things run hot but I've never seen it like this). After that the logic board was destroyed.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds like it didn't go to sleep - did you shut the screen?

I had this once under ML but never since....

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Yea the screen was shut. It's going to cost 500 to get the logic board replaced.

Ouch - but the fact that I have had the same points to it not being particuarly Yosemite-specific. It may also be a problem with the magnet/sensor that detects the screen shutting.

zenigata67

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
I solved overheating (Yosemite on MBP mid 2010) with RAM upgrade (8GB).
Temperature when browsing internet before upgrade was 70-80°C, now 50-60°C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.