Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
The average consumer could really give a crap about widgets. ;)

Thats opinion right? Because if thats a fact, please show me your sources.

----------

I think if people had a way to meld iOS and Android on their phone, they would still complain about the OS.

In my opinion, it would be best to wait until the actual release, and test the OS for several months, before categorically stating that the OS is over-hyped.

The same **** was said last year about maps... "Its still in Beta, wait until the final release before you bash it."

Well.... We know what happened there.

I do certainly expect the OS as a whole to get better and I'm really hoping they add "Search the Web" back into the spotlight search, but I'm not holding out for it to be a totally different product than what I'm currently running.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
To be honest, it's underhyped. When you see the things they added under the hood that us developers will be able to do with iOS 7, you'll understand.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The day Apple gives us widgets will be the day everyone on Macrumors suddenly loves them and always wanted them. Virtually everyone who jailbreaks their iPhone adds widgets, so I find it funny when a tiny but vocal minority on a website claim "nobody wants them", as if only their opinions matter.

If someone asked for the parallax effect a couple weeks ago it would have been trashed here, now that Apple added it everyone loves it, gotta laugh..

You like to use that word EVERYONE as if there is such a thing as a universal opinion.

There is not. I've seen plenty of folks around here trash jail breaking, widgets and the whole parallax effect. As well as many other things Apple has done

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Oh, my bad. I'd expect it to be implemented in future beta builds. And a word of advice: don't install a beta if you're not a dev. You can screw your device and yourself over. Just hold your curiosity or whatever until fall.

----------

Before I comment, let's just get this out of the way: YOU'RE TYPING TOO MUCH!
Seriously, I'm not going to read a wall of text.

iOS 7 allows for accessing NC from the lock screen. This thread is about iOS 7, so that's relevant. And I still value having one single, simple homescreen over some cluttered home screen that has widgets. And the widgets on android just look very strange and awful. They seem to try and become miniature versions of entire apps. Do I want those? No. There are people like you who want them, an I don't.

And iOS notification centre can give the forecast for the entire week. Just swipe horizontally to see it. And don't complain about iOS 7 not having them, as it's still in it's first beta. Apple actually didn't include a lot of stuff, like the voice memo app.

Sorry for typing too much. English isn't my first language so I tend to run on I guess. I have a hard time knowing if I'm conveying what I'm trying to say properly even till today.

And I didn't know you could swipe the weather widget so thank you for that!

I am confused though. If you don't like something why would you rather they not exist? Just to upset the people that do like them?

I tend to just not use something I don't like to use. If others like it then more power to them.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Sorry for typing too much. English isn't my first language so I tend to run on I guess. I have a hard time knowing if I'm conveying what I'm trying to say properly even till today.

I am confused though. If you don't like something why would you rather they not exist? Just to upset the people that do like them?

I tend to just not use something I don't like to use. If others like it then more power to them.

I would say its because widgets and add ons that we don't want actually slow down the os. Or like in Android you have to have the app drawer(Which is primarily what ios is) and a widget screen(s). I think if people want widgets then they should use android. If people want simplicity, fluidity, and function then use iOS or WP8.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

I believe that there is choice. People who want them in the home screen always have android open for them. People who don't want them there have iOS open for them.

The reason I don't want them in the first place is because when I look at an android device, there are a few apps, and a useless clock widget. Then all the apps are in a separate menu. I don't like to have apps in another menu. I think that the home screen should be there to open apps, and apps should define the experience.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ah, lucky guy. I only have an iPhone 5 so I don't want to screw myself over.

Oh, believe me, I would never have done it if I only had one iPhone! As it is, we never do anything with our old devices when we upgrade, so they are lying around, and are perfect when I want to test out a new jailbreak or a new beta. :p

As for widgets, I don't like how mixing up widgets and icons on the same screen make things look cluttered, but I do like live icons, such as the calendar and now the clock. One of my favorite JB tweaks is live weather icon, which puts the current temperature on the weather icon.

I can see the point of people who say "If you don't like widgets, just don't use them." But the problem, I think, is that when widgets are built into an OS, the devices will ship with a few widgets enabled as the default, because the manufacturer will want to show them off. Then those of us who don't like widgets have to spend the first few moments with a new device turning them off. A minor annoyance, to be sure, but I think that's where the "I hate widgets" hostility is coming from.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I believe that there is choice. People who want them in the home screen always have android open for them. People who don't want them there have iOS open for them.

The reason I don't want them in the first place is because when I look at an android device, there are a few apps, and a useless clock widget. Then all the apps are in a separate menu. I don't like to have apps in another menu. I think that the home screen should be there to open apps, and apps should define the experience.

While true, I believe there is more to choice then that. You can make an Android phone look identical to an iPhone if you please right down to the icons themselves.

Then the choice part kicks in. Hmm why only have 4 apps in the bottom tray thing when you can have 5. Or why line my icons up starting from the top down when its more ergonomic to start at the bottom? Etc.

Stop reading now, this might get lengthy.

Here's what I think it is and maybe some people don't like to admit it, maybe I'm alone on this.

I use an iPhone currently because I do not want choice. I want it to work one way and that's it. I would customize my Android devices to no end. Widgets, themes, launchers etc never mind rooting and romming!

I actually prefer being limited on my phone and not have to bother with a lot of that stuff. Even though I know I COULD just leave it alone. My brain won't let me, I'm constantly tinkering.

This is why I'll argue for Android or Windows from time to time. I feel they can "do more" but its not what I want. I want Apple to decide and I'll hopefully like their choices.

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Thats opinion right? Because if thats a fact, please show me your sources.

----------

The same **** was said last year about maps... "Its still in Beta, wait until the final release before you bash it."

Well.... We know what happened there.

I do certainly expect the OS as a whole to get better and I'm really hoping they add "Search the Web" back into the spotlight search, but I'm not holding out for it to be a totally different product than what I'm currently running.

I guess my source would be four years of being in mobile sales. I have not met one customer who based their decisions on widgets. Most of the time its "oh that's cool." and when phones come in for repairs they 80% of the time don't have a single widget on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.