Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
It appears the internal HD of my iMac G5 (rev A, 20" 1.8 ghz running 10.3.9) either has a loose connection or is going bad (hardware test confirmed an error).

So, I've been using my bootable back-up drive. But, it's been flaky - bouncing beachball, can't open some apps, etc. So:

• I repaired permissions - there were some items that needed to be fixed.
  • I used DiskWarrior - it's been running for ~6 hrs now and has detected 849 overlapped files (and counting)

Now, I repaired permissions and ran DiskWarrior a week ago when I backed-up (both on my internal HD & back-up HD) - all was fine a week ago.

Questions:
  • Should I just stop DiskWarrior and wait until my internal HD issue is resolved? I don't want to damage any documents or other files on my back-up. I don't care about the 10.3.9 OS on this back-up, as I will do an erase & install of Tiger when I fix my internal drive. I just want to make sure documents, spreadsheets, etc. aren't damaged, so I can bring them over to the new HD.
  • How could this many files become damaged? I ran DiskWarrior a week ago when I backed-up and there were no problems found on the back-up drive at that point.

Thanks for your advice,
Frank

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Yes, bootable external HD is FW:

1. Lacie Extreme d2 250 gb

2. FW connection

3. Bootable back-up made via SuperDuper

I gave-up on the repairs - the thing had been running for nearly 7 hrs and kept finding more problems. From what I can tell, overlapped files typically can't be fixed (at least, from the posts I read).

Still curious as to how a back-up drive could get so hoked-up...? Maybe it had something to do with my internal HD going bad; however, it was really rather strange (esp as I used DiskWarrior right on my bootable HD right after my last back-up).

Any ideas?

Thx,
Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.