Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pugsly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Illinois
I want to get either an OWC or ifixit data doubler with Samsung 850 SSD. I want to move the original 500 GB HDD to the Data Doubler bracket and use it strictly for storage of my iTunes (100 GB) and photos app library (330 GB). I want to use the SSD for the operating system and apps.

my question is how do I delete the current operating system off the original HDD? I don't want to reformat and delete those libraries. It takes days to download the original photos from iCloud. I just want to open space by removing Mavericks OS only.

Thanks

Keith

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Basically you can't. You'll have to transfer the info to another drive format the drive and transfer it back.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I want to get either an OWC or ifixit data doubler with Samsung 850 SSD. I want to move the original 500 GB HDD to the Data Doubler bracket and use it strictly for storage of my iTunes (100 GB) and photos app library (330 GB). I want to use the SSD for the operating system and apps.

my question is how do I delete the current operating system off the original HDD? I don't want to reformat and delete those libraries. It takes days to download the original photos from iCloud. I just want to open space by removing Mavericks OS only.

Thanks

Keith
As above really.

Leave the hdd where it is and put the ssd in the data doubler. Unless it's an older Mac that's not sata3 then you'll want the sudden motion sensor working which only happens if the platter drive is in its original spot.

As for your files I would cloan the whole drive to the ssd using disk utility then format your other drive and copy over what you want deleting it from your ssd after you've confirmed the file copy was successful

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thanks

Keith
Once you are booted to the new drive, open Finder and navigate to the root of the new drive. It should look like my screenshot. Delete Applications, Library, and System from there and leave Users. That will get rid of the OS. There are a few hidden files that will be left in there, but they don't take much space.

If you want to take it a little further you can navigate down into Users and in your user folder move the Picture and Music folders out to the root, then after that delete the Users folder also.

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 9.17.45 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.