Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
ocw

Ocw changed their controller in August 2011 to sandforce 2282 with a new Toshiba toggle. I've been using Mercury Pro extreme 6g 240gb in my new 17' MBP and it works beautifully. fast as lightening. Expensive but worth it. 11 second start up to open browser. 5 year warranty.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Ocw changed their controller in August 2011 to sandforce 2282 with a new Toshiba toggle. I've been using Mercury Pro extreme 6g 240gb in my new 17' MBP and it works beautifully. fast as lightening. Expensive but worth it. 11 second start up to open browser. 5 year warranty.

SF-2282 is the same as SF-2281 but it simply supports two NAND devices per channel. No gain in speed or reliability.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I am also hearing that most SSD drives will only run for 6 months before they die. Has anyone experienced this as well?
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

I'm on a PC w/an Intel X25-M G2 160 gig and I checked my Windows 7 install date. It was installed 4/22/10 and this machine is used daily. The SSD hasn't given me any trouble. Win7 was installed directly onto this drive.

Last edited:

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Have a 120 GB OWC SSD for over a year and half now, have a 60 and a 40 GB also, there are all in Mac Pro's and still going strong. My SSD's all have a 3 year warranty on them.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Mine died a little over 1 month I receive it, early november. Now I'm waiting like a clown for the RMA replacement for 3 weeks (I'm in Canada). If the next one dies as fast as the previous one, I'll ask for a regular HDD in exchange. Mine is the 115GB OWC SSD model.

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
test on upgraded Owc mercury extreme pro 6g 240 gb

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/42...sd_w_sf_2282_toshiba_toggle_review/index.html

----------

Mine died a little over 1 month I receive it, early november. Now I'm waiting like a clown for the RMA replacement for 3 weeks (I'm in Canada). If the next one dies as fast as the previous one, I'll ask for a regular HDD in exchange. Mine is the 115GB OWC SSD model.

Dont know what model you have but Mercury extreme pro 6g is the hot ticket and definitely worth the few extra bucks if your storage is critical.

----------

Toshiba's NAND isn't any better than any other NAND. OWC probably told you that their SSD is superior to others but that's BS.
Actually it has tested to be one of the top performing SSD's you can put in a laptop.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/42...sd_w_sf_2282_toshiba_toggle_review/index.html

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
FROM SSD REVIEW
As we stated, this is the first we have seen of the SF-2282 in a consumer drive and both remain to be 8 channel, however, the SF-2282 can handle 16 byte lanes simultaneously vice the 8 of the SF-2281. Although the difference should be translated to capacity alone, we did find a marked performance improvement with the new 6G in comparison to the original version in our Vantage HDD Test Suite.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Toshiba's NAND isn't any better than any other NAND. OWC probably told you that their SSD is superior to others but that's BS.

FROM SSD REVIEW
As we stated, this is the first we have seen of the SF-2282 in a consumer drive and both remain to be 8 channel, however, the SF-2282 can handle 16 byte lanes simultaneously vice the 8 of the SF-2281. Although the difference should be translated to capacity alone, we did find a marked performance improvement with the new 6G in comparison to the original version in our Vantage HDD Test Suite.

I believe Hellhammer's point was other vendors use the same controller and the same NAND and there is nothing special about OWC's NAND, despite their marketing speak on their web page about "Tier One Grade A" memory. OCZ, Plextor, and Corsair all make drives using this same Sandforce controller and the exact same Toshiba toggle NAND. Nothing wrong with the OWC you bought, but it is no better than others using the same components.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I must be the luckiest guy in the world

I've got 6 of them, ranging in size from 60G to 480G in 5 different machines, all over a year old, and they all run fine.

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
I believe Hellhammer's point was other vendors use the same controller and the same NAND and there is nothing special about OWC's NAND, despite their marketing speak on their web page about "Tier One Grade A" memory. OCZ, Plextor, and Corsair all make drives using this same Sandforce controller and the exact same Toshiba toggle NAND. Nothing wrong with the OWC you bought, but it is no better than others using the same components.
Not really. my point from the beginning was that it was one of the best and fastest drives ever tested in that space. Read the results before commenting.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

This is nothing but false info spread by OWC. Anandtech debunked this already.

----------

Not really. my point from the beginning was that it was one of the best and fastest drives ever tested in that space. Read the results before commenting.

I did read the results and my comment stands. No need for the attitude.

I get that you like your OWC drive (I can tell by you posting the same comment over and over in different threads here here and here). There is nothing wrong with your SSD, but it is no better than any other SSD that uses the same Sandforce controller with the same spec NAND.

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
This is nothing but false info spread by OWC. Anandtech debunked this already.

----------

I did read the results and my comment stands. No need for the attitude.

I get that you like your OWC drive (I can tell by you posting the same comment over and over in different threads here here and here). There is nothing wrong with your SSD, but it is no better than any other SSD that uses the same Sandforce controller with the same spec NAND.
You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am. I provided independent test results. You provided nothing.

----------

You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am. I provided independent test results. You provided nothing.

Your Anandtech reference was from last April. Not the part under discussion which was released in August.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Your Anandtech reference was from last April. Not the part under discussion which was released in August.

I was replying to a post by user powerless wherein he linked a March 2011 blog post from OWC. The Anandtech article from April 2011 debunks the March 2011 OWC blog post. It has nothing to do with the Toshiba NAND.

----------

Okay... here you go. Your OWC compared to OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS and Patriot Wildfire. Read the reviews for all three drives. Same Sandforce controller same Toshiba toggle NAND same speeds.

Again, I am not saying there is anything wrong with your OWC drive. But don't buy OWC's hype that somehow their parts are special.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
I was replying to a post by user powerless wherein he linked a March 2011 blog post from OWC. The Anandtech article from April 2011 debunks the March 2011 OWC blog post. It has nothing to do with the Toshiba NAND.

----------

Okay... here you go. Your OWC compared to OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS and Patriot Wildfire. Read the reviews for all three drives. Same Sandforce controller same Toshiba toggle NAND same speeds.

Again, I am not saying there is anything wrong with your OWC drive. But don't buy OWC's hype that somehow their parts are special.

The very review you used were very complimentary, gave it an editors choice, and applauded their quality. quote OWC has quite a few things going for them; drives are assembled in the US, they offer a best in class warranty of five years and use top quality components. Now they have even better components, from a performance perspective at least.Concluding Overall the updated ME Pro 6G offers everything we loved initially, and now it goes above and beyond.
i trust pro reviewers and real world experience.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The very review you used were very complimentary, gave it an editors choice, and applauded their quality. quote OWC has quite a few things going for them; drives are assembled in the US, they offer a best in class warranty of five years and use top quality components. Now they have even better components, from a performance perspective at least.Concluding Overall the updated ME Pro 6G offers everything we loved initially, and now it goes above and beyond.
i trust pro reviewers and real world experience.

The point in my linking the article was to show the OWC drive is exactly the same as the other two drives mentioned. You seem not to want to acknowledge that.

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
The point in my linking the article was to show the OWC drive is exactly the same as the other two drives mentioned. You seem not to want to acknowledge that.
All the reviews Ive seen make a point of quality. You seem unable to comprehend this as a factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.